The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do gay people act a certain way?

For example generally you can tell someone is gay by the way they talk. I don't understand how them loving their own sex makes them talk that way. Also sometimes by the way they walk. I don't understand how them being gay makes them act this way.

Scroll to see replies

Not all of them do, but it seems as though the ones that do, do it to make a point.

The ones that act like that really piss me off.
Reply 2
A bit of a generalization here but many do have a feminine accent and the majority do seem nymphomanic. I've never seen a 'normal' gay couple with a professional relationship
A few gay people I know do it just to make it obvious to the outside world that they're gay. If they didn't, then people would naturally assume that they were straight (because straight people are in the vast majority). And if it is assumed that they're straight, how are they supposed to find partners? Why would anybody of the same sex ever approach them?

I think that's the reason why the gay community "at large" seems to have so many people who behave that way. And then that results in some other gay people who spend a lot of time in such communities unconsciously picking it up, just as any group people who spend a lot of time together will pick up on similar mannerisms and accents etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ronki23
the majority do seem nymphomanic.

a nymphomaniac is necessarily a woman. A man with an insatiable appetite for sex is a satyromaniac (cf. nymphs and satyrs). I wonder though whether the etymology doesn't as well imply heterosexual context.
Reply 5
Original post by cambio wechsel
a nymphomaniac is necessarily a woman. A man with an insatiable appetite for sex is a satyromaniac (cf. nymphs and satyrs). I wonder though whether the etymology doesn't as well imply heterosexual context.

It does.
Reply 6
Original post by tazarooni89
A few gay people I know do it just to make it obvious to the outside world that they're gay. If they didn't, then people would naturally assume that they were straight (because straight people are in the vast majority). And if it is assumed that they're straight, how are they supposed to find partners? Why would anybody of the same sex ever approach them?

I think that's the reason why the gay community "at large" seems to have so many people who behave that way. And then that results in some other gay people who spend a lot of time in such communities unconsciously picking it up, just as any group people who spend a lot of time together will pick up on similar mannerisms and accents etc.

I've been hit on by 2 gay people. I don't sound or act gay although I do embrace metrosexual fashions.

You're right about the socialization thing too.it's just natural that you converge with your friends and people you're around.
Reply 7
So people act the way they do to attract the same sex? Wow who would know someone could alter their whole way of life to do that. One would have to be extremely revolved around the act itself. Very interesting...
Original post by ihatebrownbread
For example generally you can tell someone is gay by the way they talk. I don't understand how them loving their own sex makes them talk that way. Also sometimes by the way they walk. I don't understand how them being gay makes them act this way.

it doesn't. That's just something people do, I don't. A lot don't. Just some do and it becomes a sterotype for Gay people.

A lot of them don't. I assumme you are referring to the really eccentric types? That's more to do with supply and demand; people like watching them on television and so that is the image producers will put out. Plus Gok Wan... My hero :colonhash:
(edited 10 years ago)

You're pretty much only referring to really camp gay men or totally butch lesbians.

I'll hide a feminine lesbian in a group of straight feminine girls and get you to identify the lesbian. :wink:
Reply 11
That's a bit stereotypical...but I know a guy that doesn't do any of that but he's gay. He came out of the closet in Yr 11 and everyone was really shocked cause he wasn't like the stereotypical gay type.
I don't think it's an active choice. I've met some really camp queens but that's just the way they are. Even with their sisters and close friends around ... but they're a minority. I live in Vauxhall which is the mecca of gay young Londoners; and there really aren't many overly camp types.

I think tazarooni is onto a point; but I would smile in a sort of conscious dirty way at a hot guy even if he was straight. Did it in the shoe store Aldos recently. Can't help myself :biggrin:.
Reply 13
because they're ****ing gay thats why.
They don't. Camp people do. Camp people can be gay men or straight men. Not all gay men are camp, and lesbians definitely aren't.

Absolute rubbish.

All gay people do not act in the same way, just as white people or black people or people with ginger hair or people with long legs do not all act in the same way according to one characteristic they have.
Reply 16

Just cos they're gay?
They don't, think about it, there are women who act manly and have manly voices, no one automatically thinks it's just because they're a lesbian, there are effeminate( if that's the correct word) and manly gays in the same way there are manly straight men and make up wearing or effeminate straight men
That's camp and effeminate. Ian McKellon doesn't come across like that, nor does Dumbledore.
Reply 19
I've always wondered when people say that people don't choose to be gay, couldn't you argue that they choose to act upon those instincts? Could they not choose to not be gay by abstaining?
(edited 10 years ago)