The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IanLim93
Was brought up in a discussion with a mate today, they aren't a lot of top top wingers out there. With Robben looking set to move, would you guys be happy if we sign him? It's not simply down to the Champions League Final performance. If the rumours are true and with the fee around the supposedly 10 million pounds mark.

Our wingers have had a poor season, Young out with injury, Valencia terribly out of form, Nani being Nani. Zaha is still relatively young. He's only 29 as well, even tho he doesn't look that age. I wouldn't mind seeing him come in, more likely than Bale/Ronaldo rumours :P

Relatively? He IS young.
Original post by jam277
I've been saying for time chelsea should get him. Robben is a great player, he gets complained about his selfishness, but he ran rings round dortmund the whole match, an assist and a goal too. What robben will do(like ronaldo) is that he'll create a plefora of chances.

Robben would be a great fit at united, he's defensively sound too, can switch flanks during the game(robben and nani/zaha e.g.) so will obviously add a new dimension to your game, It sounds so much of a fit for your side that it won't happen. I'd have robben in a heartbeat and think united should try for him.

Don't know with Moyes in charge, we may actually make signings that make sense :wink: I do think it's a good idea, i mean it's realistic, makes sense and there isn't really anyone i can think of who could do what he can do, for the same price.

Original post by doggyfizzel
There has been a general trend away from true wingers and traditional wing play in general, far more of the Hazard, Gotze type wingers who are more like wide AM's than wingers.

I'm guessing the issue with Robben would be his age, his wages and his fitness. He's only once made more than 30 apps on average he probably not making 20, and that is only going to get worse with age. He also relies a lot on pace and agility, if he loses that acceleration he's be done as player. Big risk to put him on a 3-4 year deal tbh.

I guess but his experience could help the likes of Zaha mature. Also United has always played with traditional wingers, you can't really describe any of our current wingers as wide AM's. On the note of wages, with the expected clear out of players over the summer we could easily afford it. Age and Fitness does count against him but can you think of another winger who could have the same impact?

Original post by River85
Relatively? He IS young.

yeah my bad :colondollar: meant to say relatively inexperienced..
Really don't like Robben but you can't deny that he's a very effective player.
I guess but his experience could help the likes of Zaha mature. Also United has always played with traditional wingers, you can't really describe any of our current wingers as wide AM's. On the note of wages, with the expected clear out of players over the summer we could easily afford it. Age and Fitness does count against him but can you think of another winger who could have the same impact?
Perhaps though Robben doesn't exactly seem like the kind of guy who is going to spread his knowledge to the youth. The traditional wingers comment was more as to why there aren't many top wingers around, if team don't play them they fall out of fashion. Players don't train to fill position that don't exist, I'd guess many traditional winger become aggressive FB's these days. Not that United couldn't afford it but we could probably spend the £130k p/w he would want better elsewhere. He'd have an impact, but he's a poor investment and a potential flop for Moyes. He's not without risk being my main point.
There has been a general trend away from true wingers and traditional wing play in general, far more of the Hazard, Gotze type wingers who are more like wide AM's than wingers.

I'm guessing the issue with Robben would be his age, his wages and his fitness. He's only once made more than 30 apps on average he probably not making 20, and that is only going to get worse with age. He also relies a lot on pace and agility, if he loses that acceleration he's be done as player. Big risk to put him on a 3-4 year deal tbh.

2 year would be decent though. Plus anyway robben can get involved with the interplay and cut inside etc, not on the level of ribery but when robben isn't doing the "do as many shots without passing the ball to someone next to you" he can get involved with the play. His contribution in the CL final is a testiment to that.

Fitness is a worry though
Don't know with Moyes in charge, we may actually make signings that make sense :wink:.

I swear some of SAF's signings have been very peculiar. What went through his mind to sign bebe, play with only one DLP CM for half a season(11-12 season) play rafael as a centre mid. I'm sure he probably looks at his team sheets and thinks he drunk a bit too much whisky before he selected the team.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Really don't like Robben but you can't deny that he's a very effective player.

It had to be robben who scored the winner, he's possibly the funniest player to watch in world football. He's a testament to the law of averages.
Perhaps though Robben doesn't exactly seem like the kind of guy who is going to spread his knowledge to the youth. The traditional wingers comment was more as to why there aren't many top wingers around, if team don't play them they fall out of fashion. Players don't train to fill position that don't exist, I'd guess many traditional winger become aggressive FB's these days. Not that United couldn't afford it but we could probably spend the £130k p/w he would want better elsewhere. He'd have an impact, but he's a poor investment and a potential flop for Moyes. He's not without risk being my main point.

Could change as he gets older he may get soft and want to teach the younger players :smile: Where would you want to spend it on? I mean a CM is crucial but i still feel like we would need another winger IF nani gets sold. Sick of seeing Kagawa especially forced wide or playing Cleverley/Giggs wide.

Original post by jam277
2 year would be decent though. Plus anyway robben can get involved with the interplay and cut inside etc, not on the level of ribery but when robben isn't doing the "do as many shots without passing the ball to someone next to you" he can get involved with the play. His contribution in the CL final is a testiment to that.

Fitness is a worry though

I swear some of SAF's signings have been very peculiar. What went through his mind to sign bebe, play with only one DLP CM for half a season(11-12 season) play rafael as a centre mid. I'm sure he probably looks at his team sheets and thinks he drunk a bit too much whisky before he selected the team.

Fitness is probably the main thing but with 4 wingers, rotation could keep them all fresh i feel. I think he played Rafael in CM on more than one occassion. I remember a league cup game against Arsenal we had 7 recognised defenders in the first 11 and we still managed to won :lol:
Fitness is probably the main thing but with 4 wingers, rotation could keep them all fresh i feel. I think he played Rafael in CM on more than one occassion. I remember a league cup game against Arsenal we had 7 recognised defenders in the first 11 and we still managed to won :lol:

FA cup quarter final. I remember that match, arsenal man :facepalm2: he played rafael and fabio as wingers and they absolutely destroyed arsenal. Funny team that arsenal.
I can't believe people are actually talking about Robben. I didn't hear anyone talking about him 6 months ago. The sky-high wages coupled with his age would make him a bad signing. Plus, we signed RVP last season, we don't want to introduce another 26+ year old, unless it's Ronaldo.

I don't think we need to sign anyone though.
Original post by Manchester United
I can't believe people are actually talking about Robben. I didn't hear anyone talking about him 6 months ago. The sky-high wages coupled with his age would make him a bad signing. Plus, we signed RVP last season, we don't want to introduce another 26+ year old, unless it's Ronaldo.

I've always said he's a quality player who would fit almost any side, now he's available and cheap why not...
Funnily enough people talked **** about him the whole final when he easily was man of the match. Ran rings round dortmund all game.
Original post by DH1'
A central midfielder?

God i am dreading the day we have to replace Michael Carrick. How many more "top" seasons can he give us? 3 more i'd say.

Carrick is on top of the world right now. He can easily manage 3-4. It's not as if his game relies on speed. I can see him playing until he's 37 to be honest.
Original post by DH1'
A central midfielder?

God i am dreading the day we have to replace Michael Carrick. How many more "top" seasons can he give us? 3 more i'd say.

What about the day we'd have to replace Scholes? Oh wait, that was two years ago. Shudders.

I only brought it up cause i thought it was an interesting topic. he is a quality player, i don't see how wages and his age would make him a bag signing all a sudden. I'm not saying he should be our first priority, was just putting it out there that he's more likely to leave for cheap and would fit our team. Can you name another winger who's not Bale/Ronaldo who you would like us to sign? Or a winger you can get for 10-15 million?
I only brought it up cause i thought it was an interesting topic. he is a quality player, i don't see how wages and his age would make him a bag signing all a sudden. I'm not saying he should be our first priority, was just putting it out there that he's more likely to leave for cheap and would fit our team. Can you name another winger who's not Bale/Ronaldo who you would like us to sign? Or a winger you can get for 10-15 million?

We've signed Zaha. There's no need to sign anymore wingers.
We've signed Zaha. There's no need to sign anymore wingers.

So you think that you'll sort out your wingers poor form next season, because frankly bar nani who can be excused they've all been terrible.
We tried to sign Robben years ago but he chose Chelsea. He's too old now
Glory Hunters.
Reply 4577
Original post by kevin davies
Glory Hunters.

What a Legend his first post as well...
Original post by jam277
So you think that you'll sort out your wingers poor form next season, because frankly bar nani who can be excused they've all been terrible.

This year Valencia has been bad yes. However, I think it's largely due to the fact that he doesn't suit RVP's style. When Hernandez plays, Valencia seems to perform. This is because Valencia knows Hernandez will run into the box and try and get on the end of a cross. RVP wants the ball into his feet. Young, Nani and Valencia are still very good wingers when on form (Young and Nani have had numerous injuries). Plus, we need to give Zaha game time, like we did with Ronaldo, in order to make him a world-class winger.

I think SAF has left because he knows the club is in a great position. There are no 'must-buys' and hence Moyes has no pressure to spend this summer. Although, I think he will just to please the 'buy bale/strootman/baines/fellaini/modric/fabregas/ronaldo/robben' fans.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277

What do you mean Nani can be excused?

This year Valencia has been bad yes. However, I think it's largely due to the fact that he doesn't suit RVP's style. When Hernandez plays, Valencia seems to perform. This is because Valencia knows Hernandez will run into the box and try and get on the end of a cross. RVP wants the ball into his feet. Young, Nani and Valencia are still very good wingers when on form (Young and Nani have had numerous injuries). Plus, we need to give Zaha game time, like we did with Ronaldo, in order to make him a world-class winger.

I think SAF has left because he knows the club is in a great position. There are no 'must-buys' and hence Moyes has no pressure to spend this summer. Although, I think he will just to please the 'buy bale/strootman/baines/fellaini/modric/fabregas/ronaldo/robben' fans.

You think Zaha will make it like Ronaldo?

He's too selfish on the ball.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Latest