The Student Room Group

Biology Wjec 21st May Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ThrashMetal
The r group is the functional group I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that's necessarily the case, because the C=O, O-H (carboxylic acid group) is also a functional group as well the amino group ( N-H2) what they wanted you to say I believe is the fact that each R group within an amino acid represents other amino acids, for example we do know that there Are 20 different amino acids, and how do they differ? Well they all have the amino group and carboxylic acid group, the part that differs them is the R group. Well that's what I know anyways :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
You guys ready for by2?
Original post by Astrike
I don't think that's necessarily the case, because the C=O, O-H (carboxylic acid group) is also a functional group as well the amino group ( N-H2) what they wanted you to say I believe is the fact that each R group within an amino acid represents other amino acids, for example we do know that there Are 20 different amino acids, and how do they differ? Well they all have the amino group and carboxylic acid group, the part that differs them is the R group. Well that's what I know anyways :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

A protein is an amino acid until it gets a function though. And that function comes from the R group or the functional group :-P
Reply 23
Original post by ThrashMetal
A protein is an amino acid until it gets a function though. And that function comes from the R group or the functional group :-P

It's biology , not chemistry although what your saying makes sense I don't know about your books or what they say , but my note do not mention functional groups on biology , I mean In chemistry it does but I doubt in a biology marksheme they would say "allow functional group"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Astrike
It's biology , not chemistry although what your saying makes sense I don't know about your books or what they say , but my note do not mention functional groups on biology , I mean In chemistry it does but I doubt in a biology marksheme they would say "allow functional group"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote the same as you the function of the r group is to tell you what amino acid it is as each one had a different one
Original post by yasminwells
You guys ready for by2?

Not really.... You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Julia Iremonger
Not really.... You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmm not really sure tbh, I think I know it then I go over it and I don't haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending