The Student Room Group

Higher Geography

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Does anyone have any predictions for the compulsory topics for paper 1? Just starting studying tomorrow for this exam and I've kinda left it a bit late to study all topics in full so does anyone know the topics that are most likely to come up as compulsory questions?
Reply 141
I'm just glad that there's always the malaria question. Once you get the hang of it, it just seems to stick :biggrin:
3 days! I'm so unprepared...

I'm focusing on Atmosphere, Rural and Urban units today, hopefully I can get them out of the way.
Reply 143
Original post by Nessie162
3 days! I'm so unprepared...

I'm focusing on Atmosphere, Rural and Urban units today, hopefully I can get them out of the way.

You have a fun day ahead of you :wink:
Reply 144
My predictions (I bet you I get like 0 right, but it's worth a go :lol:)

1: Hydrosphere - Course of river/valley and Feature (my guess either being Waterfall or one that is on the river)
2: Biosphere - Sand dune succession and climax vegetation
3: Rural - Options between commercial and intensive peasant farming (Features and then changes/impacts)
4: Urban - Map evidence of CBD and changes in inner city
5: Atmosphere - Global heat budget and ocean currents
6: Lithosphere - Limestone feature and formation of rockfall.
7: Population - Population pyramids and impacts of changes
8: Industry - Growth factors and methods of attracting new industry.

Some of the optional ones will probably be wrong because they are probably worth more than 14 marks each, but I think that is what is coming up, it just depends if it is optional or not :smile: P.s. they are my predictions, not a teachers, so don't trust me :lol: I've probably got them all wrong
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 145
For lithosphere in Paper 1 my teachers highly predict limestone to be this years question.
Because 2012 - Glaciation.
2011 - Coasts.
2010 - Glaciation.
And 2009 was the last year Limestone came up.

I have attached notes with diagrams on the formation of Limestone Pavement. If anyone would like any other notes I am very happy to share. :smile:

I studied RBM and the North America Colorado river, and also Dev + Health for my paper 2 topics. Good luck on Thursday everyone!
IMG_5045.jpg
Reply 146
does anybody else find atmosphere ridiculously difficult?
Reply 147
Original post by alfalimaindia
For a U shaped valley:

Also briefly explain what plucking and abrasion are.
Picture of my notes under the spoiler. Excuse the bad quality.

Are you wanting notes for a corrie as well?

Spoiler

Plucking is just the ice 'grabbing' the rocks and tearing them out the ground, and abrasion is just the rubbing away at the rock yeah?
I need a full marks model answer for RBM Colorado Basin - Choosing a site for a dam.
Please, anyone! I lost my all RBM notes :frown:

Original post by exams2013
does anybody else find atmosphere ridiculously difficult?

Me too!
I'm learning this stuff all by heart hopefully It'll be enough... http://www.ardacad.co.uk/geo/notes/h_modelans/atmosphere.pdf
Reply 149
For atmosphere questions on either global warming causes or consequences does anyone mention anything about El Niño/ La Niño?
Original post by exams2013
Plucking is just the ice 'grabbing' the rocks and tearing them out the ground, and abrasion is just the rubbing away at the rock yeah?

Yeah, pretty much.
Reply 151
Original post by RKS330
For atmosphere questions on either global warming causes or consequences does anyone mention anything about El Niño/ La Niño?

I say one line in the physic causes and that is "There are long term changes in oceanic circulation patterns e.g. El nino :lol
Original post by alfalimaindia
Limestone:
If you describe like freeze thaw action too.

Spoiler

hi sorry to bother you but by ant change do you have any notes on glacial deposition :colondollar:
Reply 153
Original post by CSM1996
I say one line in the physic causes and that is "There are long term changes in oceanic circulation patterns e.g. El nino :lol

Thanks, does anyone have a good answer on atmospheric circulation?
Reply 154
Don't know if it has been mentioned but I think costal features is going to come up this year
Reply 155
Original post by JM1996
Don't know if it has been mentioned but I think costal features is going to come up this year

Hopefully.
Reply 156
Original post by ChrissyH
Hopefully.

Not came up since 2010 so heres hoping! :smile:
Original post by lovecupcakes
hi sorry to bother you but by ant change do you have any notes on glacial deposition :colondollar:

I'm not entirely sure which ones are deposition so here's all of them.
They're not exactly best quality but I couldn't be bothered scanning them. Also some of the v's kind of look like r's.

Glaciation:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 158
Wow these are amazing! Does anyone have notes on biosphere? :smile:

If not, never mind!

Any tips for revising before Thursday? I have trouble remembering some stuff
Reply 159
Is anyone else just going through the past papers and copying down every answer on each of the topics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending