The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
Original post by MathsNerd1
Sorry I interpreted your response incorrectly and I apologize about it, I just thought it was being said about the other user instead of yourself, please accept my apology :-/

And for the girl it's because she doesn't learn from her mistakes like you and others do on this thread, that's why she would do as well because she never tries to correct where she goes wrong. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I see what your saying. But I didn't know that as well.

I guess in general humans don't like admitting we are wrong. And I don't either, it takes kind of takes humility to get good grades - you have to accept you need to improve!

Someone on this Forum took the time to send me a long post to explain it to me, and I am happy he did. Some people just don't know how crucial making and learning from your mistakes are.
Original post by Better
Yeah I see what your saying. But I didn't know that as well.

I guess in general humans don't like admitting we are wrong. And I don't either, it takes kind of takes humility to get good grades - you have to accept you need to improve!

Someone on this Forum took the time to send me a long post to explain it to me, and I am happy he did. Some people just don't know how crucial making and learning from your mistakes are.

That was the only reason I was saying that doing huge amounts of past papers aren't a guarantee of you actually getting the top marks, they will only work if you learn where you go wrong each time and improve from your mistakes on the next one. Also I'm just trying to say that people who haven't done anywhere near the amount of papers that you and some other members have done aren't going to get top marks either because it all really depends on how you can interpret the question the correct way and how you deal with the exam pressure too. I do hope you get the grade you clearly deserve from all this work by the way and I'm not trying to sound arrogant at all :smile:
Reply 1542
That was the only reason I was saying that doing huge amounts of past papers aren't a guarantee of you actually getting the top marks, they will only work if you learn where you go wrong each time and improve from your mistakes on the next one. Also I'm just trying to say that people who haven't done anywhere near the amount of papers that you and some other members have done aren't going to get top marks either because it all really depends on how you can interpret the question the correct way and how you deal with the exam pressure too. I do hope you get the grade you clearly deserve from all this work by the way and I'm not trying to sound arrogant at all :smile:

No hard feelings we all just want to do well!

Well good thing you re-enforced that to me! I should probably take a quick break, Mark these 4 Papers, then hit 2 More Physics papers before bed!

Very productive day thus far I must say! We're all gonna make it brah.
Reply 1543
Hey, I was wondering if someone can clear this up for me. The question is 17sin(x+62.0)=10 and you have to find the value between 0 and 360.

I got up to x+62=36.03187907 and 143.9681209.

I then get x=82.0, to one d.p.

There also seems to be a second answer which is 334.1.

I figured out that you do x+62=360+36.03.....which gets you the second answer.

My question is why do you do the x+62+360 - 36.03...?

I usually draw the graph out to obtain the values and do my working so Im a little confused.

Any help is appreciated!
Original post by Better
No hard feelings we all just want to do well!

Well good thing you re-enforced that to me! I should probably take a quick break, Mark these 4 Papers, then hit 2 More Physics papers before bed!

Very productive day thus far I must say! We're all gonna make it brah.

That is very true as there's no point in aiming for second best really, just do as well as you possibly can and that's all that can be asked of you :smile:

Yeah, breaks are always advised because after about an hour your brain sort of shuts off and doesn't take in any information afterwards, although too many breaks can also be bad as its a form of procrastinating really, which I tend to do a lot of lately :-/

Best of luck with your other past papers and its great to see people extremely productive, just let me know how it goes on the day and hopefully we shall both be among the people getting 95+ or even 100 UMS! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
On C3 papers when they ask you to sketch curves on separate diagrams, say for example an inverse function, I'll sketch in y=f(x) then do a dotted line y=x, just so I can vision it all better, but would I have to then do a new diagram with just my y=f^-1(x) curve on?

Thanks
Original post by Westeros
On C3 papers when they ask you to sketch curves on separate diagrams, say for example an inverse function, I'll sketch in y=f(x) then do a dotted line y=x, just so I can vision it all better, but would I have to then do a new diagram with just my y=f^-1(x) curve on?

Thanks

I do the same and then just erase my original function so only the inverse is actually showing, but if you wanted to make it look rather tidy then you can do this too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do the same and then just erase my original function so only the inverse is actually showing, but if you wanted to make it look rather tidy then you can do this too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh, okay. So if I use pencil, would I have to go over it with pen after I've sketched it, or can we actually use pencil? :colondollar:
Ahhh, okay. So if I use pencil, would I have to go over it with pen after I've sketched it, or can we actually use pencil? :colondollar:

I just use pencil for my sketches anyway and they never don't get marked so I believe it should be okay :smile:

Yeah, breaks are always advised because after about an hour your brain sort of shuts off and doesn't take in any information afterwards.

Haha, that's a lie. It doesn't take only one hour,surely! :confused:

Why wont they allow us breaks during exams? :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Its what I've been told about how long people can concentrate effectively for, it could be slightly longer but that's why I always take water into my exams with me as to make sure I stay hydrated so my brain can work at its full potential, sometimes even having a 5 minute resting period before re attempting a question but I suppose everyone is different really :smile:
Can someone help me on the C3 Jan 13 Paper pleeeeease :cute:, question 4b i and ii.. I don't understand it :frown:
Can someone help me on the C3 Jan 13 Paper pleeeeease :cute:, question 4b i and ii.. I don't understand it :frown:

for part B)i)

p(θ)=412+10cos(θ0.927) p(\theta) = \frac {4}{12 + 10cos (\theta - 0.927)} we know that cos(θ0.927) cos(\theta - 0.927) is the only thing that changes, hence if you then put

cos(θ0.927)=1 cos(\theta - 0.927) = 1

and

cos(θ0.927)=1 cos(\theta - 0.927) = -1

you get 412+10×(1) \frac{4}{12 + 10\times(-1)} and 412+10×(1) \frac{4}{12 + 10\times(1)} respectively.

therefore you get 42 \frac{4}{2} and 422 \frac{4}{22}

so out of these two numbers the bigger (maximum) is 42 \frac{4}{2} = 2 2

therefore 2 2 is the answer.

for part B)ii)

because we chose that the maximum occurs when cos(θ0.927)=1 cos(\theta - 0.927) = -1 from part B)i)

on a cos graph, at 1-1 you get the maximum (theoretically the minimum) at π \pi

so then you make cos(θ0.927)=π cos(\theta - 0.927) = \pi and work out θ \theta from there

hope that helps :biggrin:

EDIT: this is the steps you would take when its in fraction (like this question) if for instants it was just p(θ)=12+10cos(θ0.927) p(\theta) = 12 + 10cos (\theta - 0.927) then you would just follow with normal way, making it equal to 1 1 since 1 -1 would just make the value smaller.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by masryboy94
hope that helps :biggrin:

Thanks! I understand it now :biggrin:
Thanks! I understand it now :biggrin:

glad to have been of assistance :cool::rolleyes: haha good luck :biggrin:
Original post by masryboy94
glad to have been of assistance :cool::rolleyes: haha good luck :biggrin:

hey, you know the three formulas for integration by pattern/recognition, do you remember the one that was something like f(x)[f(x)]^n, what does it equal too? is it [f(x)]^n+1/n+1

I can't remember it and i tried looking it up in the textbook too, but no luck
Reply 1556
Original post by nukethemaly
hey, you know the three formulas for integration by pattern/recognition, do you remember the one that was something like f(x)[f(x)]^n, what does it equal too? is it [f(x)]^n+1/n+1

I can't remember it and i tried looking it up in the textbook too, but no luck

see section 6.5
Original post by nm786
see section 6.5

Yeah I used that formula on a few of those questions, and it works! :smile:

thanks anyway!
Reply 1558
Original post by Story
Hey, I was wondering if someone can clear this up for me. The question is 17sin(x+62.0)=10 and you have to find the value between 0 and 360.

I got up to x+62=36.03187907 and 143.9681209.

I then get x=82.0, to one d.p.

There also seems to be a second answer which is 334.1.

I figured out that you do x+62=360+36.03.....which gets you the second answer.

My question is why do you do the x+62+360 - 36.03...?

I usually draw the graph out to obtain the values and do my working so Im a little confused.

Any help is appreciated!

Is it to do with the quartiles? Anyone?
Original post by Story
Is it to do with the quartiles? Anyone?

Not exactly. It says x is between 0 and 360, but that means when you're working out your values for x+62 your limits have to include values up to 422! This means you can get another answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending