The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joostan
Not quite, because a and b are constants not variables, so saying a=0 is not permissible. :redface:
If you consider what type of number 3a3^a is going to be, and what type 2b2^b is going to be what can you deduce? :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Robbie242

Spoiler

If I were to say 2 is even, what would you say about 2a2^a?
And 3? And 3b3^b?
Original post by joostan
Dunno what he's after, but yeah, Felix says he's getting somewhere. :tongue:

Well, alternatively:

Spoiler

Also:

Original post by joostan
And 3? And 3b3^b?

I believe that Robbie's idea of prime numbers is actually a better way of tackling the question, because it can be extended to cases where both numbers are odd or both even. for example:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
And 3? And 3b3^b

2^a is also even
3^b is not even ?

I'm trying to raise 3 to powers and it keeps coming out odd, is this the contradiction?
(edited 10 years ago)
2^a is also even
3^b is not even ?

I'm trying to raise 3 to powers and it keeps coming out odd, is this the contradiction?

Precisely :smile:
Original post by joostan
Precisely :smile:

Got there in the end ahah! its good I'm getting into these problems though, the alevel ones often guide you a lot
Original post by DJMayes
Well, alternatively:

Spoiler

Basically it's the exact same method, only the complex numbers introduce a greater probability of an algebraic slip up :s-smilie:
Got there in the end ahah! its good I'm getting into these problems though, the alevel ones often guide you a lot

There's a nice induction one with irrationals if you're interested :tongue:
Original post by joostan
There's a nice induction one with irrationals if you're interested :tongue:

Go on then :tongue:, I'll at least get past the basis case and the assumption step xd
Reply 3829
Original post by joostan
In essence this is a solution.
ab\dfrac{a}{b}
was said to be in it's simplest form, which it isn't if both are a multiple of 5 :smile:
This is a contradiction, so therefore the cubed root of 5 is irrational.

OOHH, so basically in there type of questions you prove that a/b isn't its simplest form, this is means its a contradiction and therefore is irrational? Ahh, so I kind of solved it? :/
Original post by joostan
Basically it's the exact same method, only the complex numbers introduce a greater probability of an algebraic slip up :s-smilie:

I'm not saying it's any better (Although it did actually feel marginally quicker, possibly because I knew what I was going for) but it is an alternative approach using complex numbers which might've been the one Mayman was thinking of.
Original post by Felix Felicis
Ahh, muy bien :wink:

3 hours later on that xy=z2+1xy = z^{2} + 1 problem, I think I'm onto something :s-smilie:

If it took you that much. That means I could never do it:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Go on then :tongue:, I'll at least get past the basis case and the assumption step xd

You've already got your basis case.
Prove that:
Unparseable latex formula:

5^{\frac{1}{3^n}} \not\in \matbb{Q}\ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}

Original post by DJMayes
Well, alternatively:

Spoiler

Also:

I believe that Robbie's idea of prime numbers is actually a better way of tackling the question, because it can be extended to cases where both numbers are odd or both even. for example:

Spoiler

Thanks DJ! I will probably use this one as it seems a bit more universal,
i.e. I'd say for my one, no matter how many times you multiply 2 by itself, it will never gain a factor 3, therefore this is a contradiction and hence log32log_{3} 2 is irrational
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
I'm not saying it's any better (Although it did actually feel marginally quicker, possibly because I knew what I was going for) but it is an alternative approach using complex numbers which might've been the one Mayman was thinking of.

Yeah, I guess :smile:
Original post by joostan
You've already got your basis case.
Prove that:
Unparseable latex formula:

5^{\frac{1}{3^n}} \not\in \matbb{Q}\ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}

Explain this notation Lol
Original post by tigerz
OOHH, so basically in there type of questions you prove that a/b isn't its simplest form, this is means its a contradiction and therefore is irrational? Ahh, so I kind of solved it? :/

Yep :biggrin:

N is the set of natural numbers.
Q is the set of rationals.
The \in means in :smile:

Apologies for misleading you with the primes, you're right it works better :redface:

Not entirely sure what all the inequalities are there for, but the final part is saying "is not rational for all natural numbers n".

Also, I would question how appropriate this is for this thread, given that the question you're being asked is in fact Q3 of STEP II, 2003...
Original post by joostan
N is the set of natural numbers.
Q is the set of rationals.
The \in means in :smile:

Apologies for misleading you with the primes, you're right it works better :redface:

What about the upsidedown A?

Latest