The Student Room Group

Which looks better on a CV?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Once you meet the threshold, who cares? The employers with such cut offs may take a number of grads, but in terms of the number of organisations, they are few.

Believe what you like about me, but I assure you I am well beyond applying to grad schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes once you meet the threshold, you get looked at. Thats what I (and others) have said to you.
And A-level cut offs are common in grad schemes, which is why your original statement
" very few employers give a damn about A-levels"
is nonsense for someone after a grad job
Original post by T'archer
Oh here we go. Hi grade snobs.

Throughout my time at university I worked solidly, and I do mean solidly. I am course to get to get a 2:2. Does that mean I did not work hard? No. Does that mean i'm not smart? No. It means that one of my weaknesses is that I cannot express my ideas clearly in writing.

I know plenty of people who have previous got 2:2's from 'Non-Respected' universities who have got well paid jobs by applying their knowledge, showing this in interviews. Getting a job isn;t just about being a top ten student, its about being able to apply the knowledge and skills you have got to a work place.

OP, chances are normal employers will look for the skills you have. When applying for a job it isn't necessarily what University you went to, its how you present yourself.

That is so true! GL, these people need to get out into the world of employment.... if you have the transferable skills to put into the work place, you will go very far.

I work for one of the largest banks in the world, even at Interview, they were not interested over university or what grades I got, they were more interested in what I bought to the table......

Im on £35,000+ a year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
So are you aware that many many subjects you'll never get a 90+? And that you can never actually be 'wrong'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those subjects seem pointless. Why study politics or theology. Pointless.
Original post by anonstudent1
Yes once you meet the threshold, you get looked at. Thats what I (and others) have said to you.
And A-level cut offs are common in grad schemes, which is why your original statement
" very few employers give a damn about A-levels"
is nonsense for someone after a grad job

I think that if you take off your grad scheme head and think about the fact I might have been talking generally... My comment might make more sense.

Very few graduates get on to grad schemes. For most grads, therefore, their A-levels serve little purpose beyond getting into uni. That is all I was alluding to.

I accept that there will be thresholds, but I further contend that once you have met them your actual UCAS score is pretty irrelevant. Ergo, even then, you may argue that employers don't give too much of a damn. The existence of the threshold is as much to auto filter applicants as it is to do with any particular ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SloaneRanger
That is so true! GL, these people need to get out into the world of employment.... if you have the transferable skills to put into the work place, you will go very far.

I work for one of the largest banks in the world, even at Interview, they were not interested over university or what grades I got, they were more interested in what I bought to the table......

Im on £35,000+ a year.

Yet less then 3 months ago you made a thread about needing motivation to study for your a-levels so you could get into UCL.

Sounds like the typical banker on 35k a year to me. O wait no, it sounds like the typical tsr student, full of ****.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yet less then 3 months ago you made a thread about needing motivation to study for your a-levels so you could get into UCL.

Sounds like the typical banker on 35k a year to me. O wait no, it sounds like the typical tsr student, full of s***.

Going to UCL in October.....term doesn't start till then. Take a grad job then quit best way to get quick money. Once you get signed off probation, get sick notes "depression/anxiety and stress", till they fire you and get full pay....so simple... :smile:. Can you dig that sucka. So your full of "****".
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Well I shall say its not all about graduate no one cares, if you are getting a 2.1 they are happy. A first or a 2.1 will get your to the interview maybe. But at the interview they won't ask anything about your grades they will ask about your skills and work experience. In assessment centres they will even go further and ask you to prove these skills by working with others and solving practical problems.

So aim for 100% so you can get some work experience during university, then use your work experience well and try to get the most out of it. So when you do apply you have loads of examples when they ask you, "Tell me a time you used common sense... blah blah blah....".
I think that if you take off your grad scheme head and think about the fact I might have been talking generally... My comment might make more sense.

Very few graduates get on to grad schemes. For most grads, therefore, their A-levels serve little purpose beyond getting into uni. That is all I was alluding to.

I accept that there will be thresholds, but I further contend that once you have met them your actual UCAS score is pretty irrelevant. Ergo, even then, you may argue that employers don't give too much of a damn. The existence of the threshold is as much to auto filter applicants as it is to do with any particular ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well when this is the context of your post "No. 2:2 leaves you virtually dead in the water no matter where it is from.

You'd be surprised how many Met 2:1s there are on grad schemes and in industry.

Also, very few employers give a damn about A-levels. They certainly don't put a massive amount of weight on them."

And the OP is asking about jobs after they graduate with a 2:2, the reasonable assumption is we're talking about grad jobs.
If we're not, obviously they will be pretty pointless.
Going to UCL in October.....term doesn't start till then. Take a grad job then quit best way to get quick money. Once you get signed off probation, get sick notes "depression/anxiety and stress", till they fire you and get full pay....so simple... :smile:. Can you dig that sucka. So your full of "****".

Congratulations on your fantasy.
Congratulations on your fantasy.

Why am I so gifted with deferred entry, some people have to pay full fees with a 2nd degree. Congratulations on being thick.
Well when this is the context of your post "No. 2:2 leaves you virtually dead in the water no matter where it is from.

Also, very few employers give a damn about A-levels. They certainly don't put a massive amount of weight on them."

And the OP is asking about jobs after they graduate with a 2:2, the reasonable assumption is we're talking about grad jobs.

Considering OP is getting a 2:2, big grad schemes are pretty out of he question.

In the void that leaves behind, very few employers will care enough about A-levels to make my comment incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

I can take it you don't work for a blue chip.......there is a minimal expectation with big firms to have a certain set of A-level points or grades depending on the scheme.....some say AAA-BBB..... depends on the prestige of the firm.
Considering OP is getting a 2:2, big grad schemes are pretty out of he question.

In the void that leaves behind, very few will employers care enough about A-levels to make my comment incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only thing he could do is extenuating circumstances and even then, its incredibly hard....... A-Levels are massive, look JP Morgan/Goldman Sachs/Deutsch Bank they want high a-levels, but they pay £££££
Why am I so gifted with deferred entry, some people have to pay full fees with a 2nd degree. Congratulations on being thick.

Thats an email saying you have a conditional offer. In what way does that prove anything about the b.s you've said. And your post below doesn't even make sense. Read through the post carefully. I shouldn't need to tell a supergifted banker who quit it all so he could go back to uni that.
The only thing he could do is extenuating circumstances and even then, its incredibly hard....... A-Levels are massive, look JP Morgan/Goldman Sachs/Deutsch Bank they want high a-levels, but they pay £££££

Yes but in the context of getting a 2:2, their a-level threshold is irrelevant because they would not see past the 2:2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats an email saying you have a conditional offer. In what way does that prove anything about the b.s you've said. And your post below doesn't even make sense. Read through the post carefully. I shouldn't need to take a supergifted banker who quit it all so he could go back to uni that.

Yeah, in which I had to fulfilled, money isn't everything in life, working a bank that is driven towards heavy cross sales and targets is horrible. Why would you want to be objection handling people all day and man managing a diary, for the next 30 years. Its so dull, generating leads and having small talk in fact finding??? Developing a mortgage pipeline doesn't interest me, you have to work fixed hours, no scope for self employment. I can take it you have never had a job and understood the concept of targets and accountability,lol... so cute that your so innocent and naive.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes but in the context of getting a 2:2, their a-level threshold is irrelevant because they would not see past the 2:2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, true say.
Yeah, in which I had to fulfilled, money isn't everything in life, working a bank that is driven towards heavy cross sales and targets is horrible. Why would you want to be objection handling people all day and man managing a diary, for the next 30 years. Its so dull, generating leads and having small talk in fact finding??? Developing a mortgage pipeline doesn't interest me, you have to work fixed hours, no scope for self employment. I can take it you have never had a job and understood the concept of targets and accountability,lol... so cute that your so innocent and naive.

You should put that imagination to use. Write a book or something?
You should put that imagination to use. Write a book or something?

I can't write a book on unemployment, maybe we could use your experiences and failures and I put them into a rational context.
Reply 59
Not to be rude, but I feel we're going in circles. Can you actually read what I'm saying this time before replying? :redface: I'm open to your opinion, but you keep putting words in my mouth which are the polar opposite of what I've actually said!

Original post by sharp910sh
I don't agree just because you got good a level 3-5 years ago doesn't mean getting a 2.2 from a good university will do you any favours. In engineering, nearly all graduate scheme and graduate jobs ask for a 2.1 or first. If you are getting less than a 2.1 then one is clearly lazy, I mean if you pears are getting good grades, why are you getting a 2.2?

The point I was making is that a decent 2.2 from a top university is likely harder to obtain than a 2.1 from some universities (both in terms of academic ability and effort). You're essentially labelling people who got a 2.2 at the likes of Oxbridge as lazy, yet it probably takes a considerable amount of greater effort for a 'regular' candidate to get a 58 at Cambridge than a 62 at London Met.

That is the point I'm making, not that a 2.2 is a good target to aim for. It makes life difficult as I have said repeatedly, but truth be told I'd rather have a 2.2 from Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial etc on my CV compared with a 2.1 from a bottom ranked university, because outside of auto-filters it'll carry more weight (especially after your first job when you have some professional experience).

But, to clarify (again), it's obviously best to aim for the highest mark possible.

You make it seem going to oxford or cambridge and getting a 2.2 will be grand and everyone will be offering you a job. Its simply not like that.

Clearly you didn't read my post properly. I'll quote the first line from the post you have just replied to;

"To be clear, I'm not arguing the virtues of a 2.2 or in any way suggesting it won't make life difficult when it comes to finding a decent job."

For instance the employment or those who go into further study is 96.9 at the university of surrey compared to 92.6 for oxford and 95.2 for cambridge. Yet surrey is a "worse" university than oxford and cambridge. So why is surrey doing better? Going to oxford and cambridge doesn't mean a guaranteed job.

Everyone knows those league tables have to be read with a large pinch of salt, as they do not take in to account what it is that people are actually doing 6 months down the line. I could be working on a 15k salary and still tick the 'graduate employment' box. To be blunt, your average Oxbridge graduate is going to be aspiring to a better starting position than your average Surrey graduate, which will heavily bias the figures. Also consider average salaries and see where that takes you.

To suggest that career prospects are better from Surrey (a perfectly good university by all accounts!) are better than Oxbridge is pretty laughable. I say that coming myself from a university that regularly makes the exact same boast about employability rates being higher than Oxbridge, and knowing full well where some of the so called 'graduate employment' votes come from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending