The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chinensis8
Well during interphase... the cell is growing up and performing its own functions...? Or because it needs to go through a lot of processes for the cell cycle. Like condensing the chromosomes, synthesising proteins and etc.

The cell only goes through PMAT when it is undergoing mitosis (replicating). Not all cells are constantly replicating - going through PMAT. Some cells don't divide at all and stay in Interphase - a phase called G0.

So, cells are in interphase most of the time because they don't need to replicate.
Reply 361
Original post by The Assassin
Not finished yet - maybe Monday now.

Hey u'll b putting it up on the thread ya? cz I need the notes too
Does anyone know what xerophytes are? :smile:
Reply 363
Original post by justanotherindigo
Does anyone know what xerophytes are? :smile:

They are plants adapted to surviving in environments that have a severe lack of water. (i.e, deserts)
They have various features that help prevent water loss, like
- hairs on the epidermis, to reduce the layer of air, hence reducing transpiration.
- waxy layers on the epidermis also prevent water loss by evaporation
- most xerophytes have small leaves, and fewer branches, again, to reduce water loss by evaporation.

Haha, can they ask about plant adaptations in this paper?? :smile:
Reply 364
I have a few doubts about translocation in plants,
- mineral ions enter the roots dissolved in water right?
- so does some water also enter the phloem along with the nutrients?
- or is the water kind of 'filtered' by the casparian strip and directed into the xylem instead? :confused:

- what is the function of companion cells in the phloem?
- do they only store nutrients for later use by the plant?
Original post by SKK94
- or is the water kind of 'filtered' by the casparian strip and directed into the xylem instead? :confused:

is this stuff in the syllabus? :O casparian strip? companion cell?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rubyturner94

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by SKK94

old spec. we don't need to know about it yet

Mineral ions do enter the roots in an aqueous solution (may not necesarily be water)
water or minreal ions aren't transported by the phloem.. the phloem transports products of photosynthesis
Reply 367
Original post by Rubyturner94

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by mynameisntbobk
old spec. we don't need to know about it yet

Mineral ions do enter the roots in an aqueous solution (may not necesarily be water)
water or minreal ions aren't transported by the phloem.. the phloem transports products of photosynthesis

Oh? :s-smilie: There's stuff about the casparian strip in the Edexcel student book (green one - pg 213), but yeah, I can't find any of them in the spec.

Ok, so water is transported in xylem, products of photosynthesis (glucose/sucrose) in the phloem, what about minerals? Are they transported in the xylem?
Original post by SKK94
Oh? :s-smilie: There's stuff about the casparian strip in the Edexcel student book (green one - pg 213), but yeah, I can't find any of them in the spec.

Ok, so water is transported in xylem, products of photosynthesis (glucose/sucrose) in the phloem, what about minerals? Are they transported in the xylem?

Haha, the textbook has found yet another victim! :redface: the textbook is for leisure reading BTW

The Xylem transports inorganic substances, the substances that the plant does not manufactures. It transports water and mineral ions dissolved in water.
The phloem transport organic substances, substances that the plant manufactures. It transports the sucrose (not glucose!) and amino acids as well as plant hormones. The phloem does contain water also! sucrose is dissolved in water

So the two main differences between the phloem and Xylem tissues are
1.Xylem transports water and mineral ions while phloem transports sucrose,amino acids,plant hormones.
2. The movement of substances through the xylem is from the root UPWARDS to the rest of the plant but in the phloem it is from the leaves to the storage organs etc upwards or downwards.

With regards to the plant stem we should know:
1. The functions and the cross section diagram of the dicot stem.
2. The differences between xylem and phloem, sclerenchyma and xylem, and sclerenchyma and collenchyma.
3.The adaptations of the xylem vessels to its two functions.
4. Mineral deficiency symptoms of plants
5. The core practical to demonstrate them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 369
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Haha, the textbook has found yet another victim! :redface: the textbook is for leisure reading BTW

The Xylem transports inorganic substances, the substances that the plant does not manufactures. It transports water and mineral ions dissolved in water.
The phloem transport organic substances, substances that the plant manufactures. It transports the sucrose (not glucose!) and amino acids as well as plant hormones. The phloem does contain water also! sucrose is dissolved in water

1.Xylem transports water and mineral ions while phloem transports sucrose,amino acids,plant hormones.
2. The movement of substances through the xylem is from the root UPWARDS to the rest of the plant but in the phloem it is from the leaves to the storage organs etc upwards or downwards.

2. The differences between xylem and phloem, sclerenchyma and xylem, and sclerenchyma and collenchyma.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha xD
This is amazing! Thanks :smile:
Reply 370
Original post by diggy
the january 2013 paper http://www.freeexampapers.com/#A Level/Biology/Edexcel/2013 Jan

Any idea on the mark scheme? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 371
hi :smile: in jan 2009 Q 5 a iii , the mark scheme quite confuses me can anyone put it linked in a better easy way?
Someone please explain to me how red blood cells produce new cells when they have no nucleus
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 373
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi:smile:
What are the differences of schlerenchyma and xylem and sclerenchyma and collenchyma?
Original post by kimmykim1
hi :smile: in jan 2009 Q 5 a iii , the mark scheme quite confuses me can anyone put it linked in a better easy way?

This asks for changes, so what happens to the sperm cell and egg cell. so you just describe the steps during fertilisation. Its 3 marks so three points are required:

I would write (well, i haven't looked in the markscheme) something along the lines on:

1) The sperm cell penetrates through the zona pellucida layer and is hydrolysed by the digestive enzymes secreted from the sperm head.
2) After penetration, the zona pellucida then reforms/hardens after a sperm has entered to prevent polyspermy (multiple sperms)
3) Therefore, the process of meiosis is completed.

Original post by Rickrossmmg
Someone please explain to me how red blood cells produce new cells when they have no nucleus

The nucleus of a cell is responsible for cellular activity including cell division. Blood cells don't divide, they are produced by other cells within bone marrow.
Original post by SKK94
They are plants adapted to surviving in environments that have a severe lack of water. (i.e, deserts)
They have various features that help prevent water loss, like
- hairs on the epidermis, to reduce the layer of air, hence reducing transpiration.
- waxy layers on the epidermis also prevent water loss by evaporation
- most xerophytes have small leaves, and fewer branches, again, to reduce water loss by evaporation.

Haha, can they ask about plant adaptations in this paper?? :smile:

Thank you very much! :biggrin: And I think so, I'm not too sure actually so you might have to double-check! :smile:
Reply 376
Original post by CoolRunner
This asks for changes, so what happens to the sperm cell and egg cell. so you just describe the steps during fertilisation. Its 3 marks so three points are required:

I would write (well, i haven't looked in the markscheme) something along the lines on:

1) The sperm cell penetrates through the zona pellucida layer and is hydrolysed by the digestive enzymes secreted from the sperm head.
2) After penetration, the zona pellucida then reforms/hardens after a sperm has entered to prevent polyspermy (multiple sperms)
3) Therefore, the process of meiosis is completed.

The nucleus of a cell is responsible for cellular activity including cell division. Blood cells don't divide, they are produced by other cells within bone marrow.

thank you so much thats much easier but i still dont get what "hydrolysed by the digestive enzymes" means
Original post by SKK94

you don't need to know about that :smile:

yep, and mineral ions are transported through the xylem
(edited 10 years ago)
any expectations people?
Maybe they ll bring a big question related to plants probably this time? or what u thnk?
how.much do we have to know about taxonomic grouping? molecular phylogeny?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending