The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

what are you all using to revise your optional topics?

I feel like I don't have enough resources for astrophysics
Reply 261
Original post by fuzzybear

Collins aqa student support book for astrophysics, thats all you need then just do the past paper questions.
Original post by JRP95
Collins aqa student support book for astrophysics, thats all you need then just do the past paper questions.

I just can't seem to be able to remember the lens stuff because it's SO boring! Any ideas on how to learn it?
Reply 263
Original post by Seb Hudson
I just can't seem to be able to remember the lens stuff because it's SO boring! Any ideas on how to learn it?

Do you mean when it comes to drawing ray diagrams or the more detailed stuff such as resolving power and Rayleigh Criterion? I can help with you with both :smile:

http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Pages/Physics_5_Options/Astrophysics/Option_%205A__astrophysics.htm

This is a very useful source which helped me to understand most of the topic.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 264
Original post by amish123
Do you mean when it comes to drawing ray diagrams or the more detailed stuff such as resolving power and Rayleigh Criterion? I can help with you with both :smile:

Am I missing something because resolving power and Rayleigh criterion are not complicated from what I've read (just one formula and then like one line to memorise/learn for both)

I'm okay with the ray diagrams I believe, its just focal points when you're given the magnification and stuff, I never work out what exactly you're supposed to do :smile: Thanks!
Reply 266
Any more revision material on Turning points anyone?
Smith
Reply 267
Original post by JRP95
Am I missing something because resolving power and Rayleigh criterion are not complicated from what I've read (just one formula and then like one line to memorise/learn for both)

No it's not that difficult to learn. It's just knowing when to apply the Rayleigh Criterion equation (lambda/d) when it comes to comparing the performance of different telescopes. For example, in order for a radio telescope to have the same resolving power as a standard reflecting optical telescope, the diameter of the dish of the radio telescope needs to be much larger because the wavelength of radio waves (~1cm to 1m) is much longer than that of visible light (~550nm).

Make sure you know the definitions of Rayleigh Criterion and also that of what an Airy Disc is.

Original post by Seb Hudson
I'm okay with the ray diagrams I believe, its just focal points when you're given the magnification and stuff, I never work out what exactly you're supposed to do :smile: Thanks!

Ah right I see, I struggled at first with recognising what they're actually asking you to do. It's just simple 'tricks' you need to learn, such as the angular magnification, M, is given by alpha/beta (the angles subtended at different points). But this is also the same as fo/fe (the focal length of the objective lens and eyepiece lens respectively). Think about what different values you have been given in a question, what values you can work out, and then how you can finally arrive at an answer. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by smith50
Any more revision material on Turning points anyone?
Smith

Have you had a read through this?: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2450-W-TRB-OGTP.PDF
Reply 269
Original post by Technetium

Will do :biggrin:
Smith
anyone got the collins student support book?

for astrophysics, (specifically binary star system), I'm having a real headache over this example question in the book on page 90:

Surely the tangental velocity (i.e the actual speed at which the stars are moving) would be different for each of the stars, so how can you get one single figure for velocity. I don't get this. They're each moving in their own orbits which are different sizes, and if the time taken (time period) to complete their respective orbits is the same, then surely the speed at which they're moving must be different....

secondly, why does that equation give you the distance between the two stars. Somehow it shows that 'r' (radius of 'circular motion) equals the distance between the two stars, It just doesn't make sense to me at all, how am I suppose to visualize this :confused:
Reply 271
anyone got the collins student support book?

for astrophysics, (specifically binary star system), I'm having a real headache over this example question in the book on page 90:

Surely the tangental velocity (i.e the actual speed at which the stars are moving) would be different for each of the stars, so how can you get one single figure for velocity. I don't get this. They're each moving in their own orbits which are different sizes, and if the time taken (time period) to complete their respective orbits is the same, then surely the speed at which they're moving must be different....

secondly, why does that equation give you the distance between the two stars. Somehow it shows that 'r' (radius of 'circular motion) equals the distance between the two stars, It just doesn't make sense to me at all, how am I suppose to visualize this :confused:

You're correct, the tangential velocities of the two stars would be different, however because this is A Level Physics, we make assumptions and here we are assumuing that a smaller star is orbiting a bigger star, the bigger star acting as a centre of mass. Funnily, I was actually watching a lecture on binary star systems yesterday, take a look at the link below (Walter Lewin is a genius may I add).

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-23/
Forward to 20:49

As for your second question, I think this is to do with the fact that you're assuming that you are in the same plane of the orbit of this binary system. Maybe these pictures may clear things up:
eclipsing_binary.gif
algol.gif

If you look at the second picture, the radius of orbit of the smaller star is the same as the distance between both stars.

Hope I've helped you!
You're correct, the tangential velocities of the two stars would be different, however because this is A Level Physics, we make assumptions and here we are assumuing that a smaller star is orbiting a bigger star, the bigger star acting as a centre of mass. Funnily, I was actually watching a lecture on binary star systems yesterday, take a look at the link below (Walter Lewin is a genius may I add).

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-23/
Forward to 20:49

As for your second question, I think this is to do with the fact that you're assuming that you are in the same plane of the orbit of this binary system. Maybe these pictures may clear things up:
eclipsing_binary.gif
algol.gif

If you look at the second picture, the radius of orbit of the smaller star is the same as the distance between both stars.

Hope I've helped you!

Thanks

So in that example question I posted, one of the star is basically not moving? :s-smilie: and this is the reason why we would get only one tangential velocity?

I've looked at the animation you provided, is that suppose to represent my example question?
Reply 273
Thanks

So in that example question I posted, one of the star is basically not moving? :s-smilie: and this is the reason why we would get only one tangential velocity?

I've looked at the animation you provided, is that suppose to represent my example question?

That seems like it is the case for this question yes. Yep, I think the animation depicts what is going on in the question you've provided. Rest assured, if a question involving Doppler Shift does appear in our exam, I'm sure they'll make the wording of the question much clearer to understand. :smile:
hey can someone please help me in unit 4???

how do we know the direction of a particle in bubble chamber or such? I have no idea to find the field or the direction of force..can someone please help me with it...??
Does Anyone have notes for astronomy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 276
Hi everyone, hope revision's going well!
Was just wondering if anyone could tell me the experiments that we need to know for the exam (astrophysics too please) would be really helpful.

Thanks! :top:
Reply 277
Can anyone doing astrophysics help me with this question?
I'm stuck on (b)(ii) but I can do the rest.

Astro question.jpg

I tried looking at the mark scheme and I couldn't understand it at all :/
Reply 278
I thought we made a mistake picking Applied physics, but wow. Astro and Turning points seems much harder.:P
Turning points is f u c k I n hard, especially the special relativity and considering our teacher can't explain it makes it worse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending