The Student Room Group

Arsey's D1 Edexcel Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Just checking the model answers to have a guess at my marks and I can't remember the exact numbers I got for Dijkstra's etc, but I do remember my shortest path for Dijsktra read SADGEHT because I then pictured someone with a strong Scottish accent saying "sad git" and it made me wonder if they'd done it deliberately.

For the difficult inequality I wrote that the number of 2 seaters purchased must exceed the number of 4 seaters purchased by a ratio of 3:2. Although it ties in with the optimal solution I guess I won't get marks for that?
Original post by Jennance
Just checking the model answers to have a guess at my marks and I can't remember the exact numbers I got for Dijkstra's etc, but I do remember my shortest path for Dijsktra read SADGEHT because I then pictured someone with a strong Scottish accent saying "sad git" and it made me wonder if they'd done it deliberately.

I did the same thing. Lost about 5 minutes thinking about it :colondollar:. Fortunately finished the exam after about 70 minutes so had time to spare. Made some silly mistakes like naming the ED arc as the one to be transversed. I think that was the only mark I lost although I can't remember my exact wording for the 2x<3y thing. Also didn't draw the new matchings so might lose a mark there.
Original post by jfox2
how many marks would I loose on the dykstras if I got 31 as the answer do you reckon ?

Depends on how soon you went wrong.
Reply 203
Original post by tiny hobbit
Depends on how soon you went wrong.

I think just on the last couple of steps..
Reply 204
Hi for the part b question on matching I first found an alternating path and then the change status and then I drew the improved matching. After that I did another alternating path and changed status however I used my improved matching for that, and finally that's how i got my complete matching. Did I do it right if not how much mark would I lose.
Reply 205
Just finished solutions to the other paper. I think it was a bit harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 206
please i need an answer

hi ARSEY
for the quick sort i multiplied all by 10 to make it easier for me but after sorting i put the final answer back to decimals, would i loose mark for using this method?

for the linear programming i only worked out what x and y is by substituting the equations i did not sub the numbers to find the total cost, how many marks do i loose ?

on question 7 b i only said it would affect the total time because its a critical activity but i didnt say it would be delayed by 2days? would i loose all the marks for this?

for 7f i said at time 12 FDEH would be going on, i know this is wrong but would i get a method mark?

and for 7g I said the chart is better because it shows the activites that needs to be done by the workers.do i have any chance of getting a mark?

THANK YOU
Reply 207
I have uploaded my solutions to the other time zone paper in the first post.
Original post by Arsey
Fairly reasonable paper I thought

1. Matchings - pretty simple, although not breaking down the 2 required paths into separate part of the question, could cause problems.

2. Quick sort and Bin packing - very easy, I thought it was odd how the first-fit decreasing didn't reduce the number of bins though

3. Prim's and Kruskal's - very easy

4. Dikky - harder than normal due to the sneaky part of the route. Quite easy to mank up b) too.

5. Postie - standard. A common error on c) will be to repeat DE.

6. LP - not easy but it never is. Part b) will be a bloodbath.

alt to part b)

no more than 1.5 times as many small as large

for every 3 small you need at least 2 big

7. CPA - Fairly standard but the backward scans not using the dummy paths will be a very common error. Gantt chart took too long. f) and g) will be poorly answered.

Overall I would say it was a little easier than Jan, I would expect it to be around 63 for an A.

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

I have uploaded my solutions to the other time zone paper, which I thought was a bit harder.

OMG, the international paper was much better than ours!
The international paper looks slightly harder to me, but not by much...

... the activity network & linear programming (especially the points testing) looks quite daunting :tongue:
Original post by posthumus
The international paper looks slightly harder to me, but not by much...

... the activity network & linear programming (especially the points testing) looks quite daunting :tongue:

Really?! I thought the paper was the same as the specimen papers, looked easier and I loved the 3 mark question on stating the difference of kruskal and prim!

shame :frown:
Reply 211
Scheduling...
Reply 212
Original post by Arsey
Scheduling...

Arsey
For question 7
If I said there would be no effect and there would be an effect but didn't specify days how many marks would I lose?
Reply 213
For the second time, I couldn't finish this paper in time. :cry2:
Reply 214
Hi for the part b question on matching I first found an alternating path and then the change status and then I drew the improved matching. After that I did another alternating path and changed status however I used my improved matching for that, and finally that's how i got my complete matching. Did I do it right if not how much mark would I lose.
Reply 215
Original post by Arsey
I have uploaded my solutions to the other time zone paper in the first post.

Thank you so much for posting the international model answer:smile: cheers
Reply 216

if anyone can reply that will be great. thanx
Original post by rber

if anyone can reply that will be great. thanx

That's exactly what you are meant to do, so full marks (assuming you got the complete matching right at the end :tongue:) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by niki135
Ah I hope we didn't do that bad and still manage to get our A! From what my friends were telling me, S1 started off well but got harder at the end. Hopefully boundaries are low!

We will do :smile: I think it was a tricky paper!
Reply 219
You know for part 1a) the very question if you put a maximum matching bipartite graph would u still get the mark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending