The Student Room Group

NHS Dentists not giving braces?!!

How many of you have been to the dentists and have bent or overlapping teeth and need braces, yet because your teeth don't fit a certain requirement of just ".0001 millimeter out", you can't.
Yet when you you see your teeth clearly in the mirror, they are so obviously in need of braces.
These NHS dentists say no we wont and refer you to loads of places who all say no.
What makes it worse, is that they say they will do it in private!
And charge RIDICULOUS sums of money £6000-10000. Lots more if you get colored ones.

Its disgusting, why should someone not born into wealth live a life of crooked teeth, yet those with money not.
I know lifes unfair, but when the NHS can step in and you see all those managers taking huge salaries and getting money from making "appointments" in which they actually don't do anything but refer you.
It makes me sick.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am ashamed of my braces situation, had them for a year, lost the retainer and now my teeth are back to normal. Never really ran into this problem, but if you clearly need braces and its your first time getting them, they should clearly be provided.
Reply 2
Original post by Robbie242
I am ashamed of my braces situation, had them for a year, lost the retainer and now my teeth are back to normal. Never really ran into this problem, but if you clearly need braces and its your first time getting them, they should clearly be provided.

Yes they should be, its annoying that some people get them, but loads of other people, the majority do not, unless they stump up the cash :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Blueray2
Yes they should be, its annoying that some people get them, but loads of other people, the majority do not, unless they stump up the cash :s-smilie:

Resources are scarce in some cases though, and sometimes staffing for such procedures is understaffed
Few years ago, I remember being referred to an orthadontist because of my overlap, but they said it cost around £4,000 because it wasn't so bad, which is stupid, on overlap is an overlap, it's that simple.. at that time, my parents couldn't afford to pay that, so I had to live without them. This wan't even a private organisation. I think it's ridiculous that they should be charging this much to people who clearly need braces, tbh £1,000 would have been more reasonable, since like they said, it wasn't that bad, but nope. There's no wonder why Britain's dental situation is pretty shameful
I don't know, my teeth aren't really that bad to be honest (slight overbite and a bit crowded) but nothing too serious; I was borderline basically. It didn't really take much persuading to get on the NHS treatment so I suppose it just depends on your dentist and whether or not they will refer you. I sort of regret getting mine to be honest (6 months in out of 2 years) because afterwards it's sort of inevitable that they move back. Some of my friends even wore their retainers and their teeth still moved back.

tl;dr I'm not sure braces are all they're cracked up to be unless your teeth are seriously bad.
How many of you have been to the dentists and have bent or overlapping teeth and need braces, yet because your teeth don't fit a certain requirement of just ".0001 millimeter out", you can't.
Yet when you you see your teeth clearly in the mirror, they are so obviously in need of braces.
These NHS dentists say no we wont and refer you to loads of places who all say no.
And charge RIDICULOUS sums of money £6000-10000. Lots more if you get colored ones.

Its disgusting, why should someone not born into wealth live a life of crooked teeth, yet those with money not.
I know lifes unfair, but when the NHS can step in and you see all those managers taking huge salaries and getting money from making "appointments" in which they actually don't do anything but refer you.
It makes me sick.

I was forunate that I was able to get braces about 3 years ago.when I got them I was told that the NHS only provide them if it is for a medical reason (e.g. your teeth are overcrowded) not if it is cosmetic (e.g. your teeth look slightly crooked). In addition my younger sister had to wait 4 years after her 1st referral to actually be approved by the NHS for braces so sometimes you just have to wait it out because your teeth can change quite a bit during adolesecene and early adulthood x

Posted from TSR Mobile
The nhs will only pay if there's a dental/medical reason for braces... And generally only if it's
Iikely to affect your dental health in the future. Otherwise it's considered a cosmetic procedure like any other the nhs won't pay for.
Reply 8
This really annoys me. My teeth can't even close yet my dentist refuse to give me braces because the gap isn't "wide enough" - only by half a millimetre. Some of my friends have braces yet their teeth looked fine before hand while at the same time its subsidised fully by the NHS -_- .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Well if the NHS stopped rushing to treat those that heavily binge drink and smoke etc, then perhaps this problem would not exist. I don't understand why it is young people who are being punished for the NHS's financial problems. If anything it should be those that do not pay their taxes, are work-shy and lead grossly unhealthy lifestyles.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I had this problem, my teeth were in a terrible state and I was on a waiting list for 3/4 years, by that time they said my teeth weren't even bad enough for them, and that any treatment would be purely 'cosmetic'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I struggle to see peoples obsession

I have one tooth that overlaps the next (the 2nd tooth overlapping the front) ive honestly never had a problem, its a cute quirk and actually most people notice either the rest and comment on how straight everything is or on my very sharp canines

whats the problem with a crooked tooth?

I understand if its extream but if it was you would be denied
Reply 12
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Few years ago, I remember being referred to an orthadontist because of my overlap, but they said it cost around £4,000 because it wasn't so bad, which is stupid, on overlap is an overlap, it's that simple.. at that time, my parents couldn't afford to pay that, so I had to live without them. This wan't even a private organisation. I think it's ridiculous that they should be charging this much to people who clearly need braces, tbh £1,000 would have been more reasonable, since like they said, it wasn't that bad, but nope. There's no wonder why Britain's dental situation is pretty shameful

You know, if my friends become dentists, i'll get them to subside my teeth for them, but by that time i'll be in my 20's :gah:

Original post by Endless Blue
I don't know, my teeth aren't really that bad to be honest (slight overbite and a bit crowded) but nothing too serious; I was borderline basically. It didn't really take much persuading to get on the NHS treatment so I suppose it just depends on your dentist and whether or not they will refer you. I sort of regret getting mine to be honest (6 months in out of 2 years) because afterwards it's sort of inevitable that they move back. Some of my friends even wore their retainers and their teeth still moved back.

tl;dr I'm not sure braces are all they're cracked up to be unless your teeth are seriously bad.

:lol: They take scans and stuff and then say right, this is how bad it is....now pay up £8000 :s-smilie:

Original post by Sophi12
I was forunate that I was able to get braces about 3 years ago.when I got them I was told that the NHS only provide them if it is for a medical reason (e.g. your teeth are overcrowded) not if it is cosmetic (e.g. your teeth look slightly crooked). In addition my younger sister had to wait 4 years after her 1st referral to actually be approved by the NHS for braces so sometimes you just have to wait it out because your teeth can change quite a bit during adolesecene and early adulthood x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think thats well over exaggerated thing that they tell us, I know people who had braces in year 3 - 6! Their teeth are fine now.

Original post by Magnanimity
The nhs will only pay if there's a dental/medical reason for braces... And generally only if it's
Iikely to affect your dental health in the future. Otherwise it's considered a cosmetic procedure like any other the nhs won't pay for.

Original post by Ndella
This really annoys me. My teeth can't even close yet my dentist refuse to give me braces because the gap isn't "wide enough" - only by half a millimetre. Some of my friends have braces yet their teeth looked fine before hand while at the same time its subsidised fully by the NHS -_- .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by xoJennyox
Well if the NHS stopped rushing to treat those that heavily binge drink and smoke etc, then perhaps this problem would not exist. I don't understand why it is young people who are being punished for the NHS's financial problems. If anything it should be those that do not pay their taxes, are work-shy and lead grossly unhealthy lifestyles.

This is probably the best point, I've seen, well said. I know theirs an opportunity cost argument, but its invalid, because most of those who binge drink and smoke etc, live of benefits anyway, (i've seen it first hand, before anyone jumps on me) so they don't contribute anything anyway.

Original post by KatiexZoe
I had this problem, my teeth were in a terrible state and I was on a waiting list for 3/4 years, by that time they said my teeth weren't even bad enough for them, and that any treatment would be purely 'cosmetic'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:s-smilie: I fear thats the same situation with me :frown:
Reply 13
I'm currently 17 years old, if I get braces on the NHS, will I have to pay for them after I'm 18?
Original post by Blyts-_
I'm currently 17 years old, if I get braces on the NHS, will I have to pay for them after I'm 18?

If you get on just before you turn 18 then you wont have to pay anything, I'm not sure about what would happen if you actually turn 18 before you're accepted but hopefully they wont charge you :smile:
I'm not going to lie, everyone just sounds like they're entitled to braces and everything, when actually, if you consider the full picture, it's not really that necessary. The NHS doesn't have enough money to fund absolutely everything, so it makes sense that they cut down on non-essential procedures.

Would you rather they spend more money on making you teeth look nice, but then not be able to afford to treat you when you're in hospital, dying of some horrible disease?

Ofcourse there are other problems with the NHS but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that people feel that they should be entitled to free dental care when it's just a cosmetic thing :s-smilie: I'd understand if there were serious problems but not when your teeth are a bit crooked...!!

Original post by xoJennyox

If the NHS stopped treating anyone who had "self-inflicted" diseases, there would hardly be any patients to treat. There's also the fact that there are usually underlying issues, like psychological problems or some sort of trauma/depression which has lead to the patient binge drinking. Would you still refuse them treatment even if the reason for it is due to something that's not their fault?

There are certain systems in place though, like if your kidneys are messed up because of binge drinking and you refuse to cut down, then the NHS won't give you a kidney transplant as they think that you'll just waste it.
i hav the same problem i dont qualify 4 braces and meh parents cant afford braces...soo annoying and really want them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there no ther solutions cuz i hav a big gap in meh teeth xx

It makes me sick.

I agree completely! I went to an orthodontist four years ago, was told I was getting braces. I went back three times and had three teeth taken out so they could fit the braces.
My orthodontist closed down and I was referred to a new one- yet when I went there they measured my teeth and said I wasn't allowed to get braces without paying £1000 I can't afford! Despite the fact the other had already taken my teeth!
So annoyed!
Original post by Blyts-_
When I was 17 and needed braces (for a genuine medical problem), they transferred me to and from different dentists telling me the NHS will cover me, which was for about 6 months. When I turned 18, they told me I'll have to pay privately. So annoyed :angry:
Reply 19

Its disgusting, why should someone not born into wealth live a life of :crooked: small boobs, yet those with money not.

Still think your argument is justified?

Unless you have a moderate/severe functional impairment, then I really don't think that the NHS should be stumping up the money.

(Also, terrible use of English - far too many negatives in one sentence.)

Latest