The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Mature Students

Hi All,
I'm a Chester girl born and bred and I'm going to be starting this year studying History and living at home. I'm 25 -are there any other "oldies" starting at Chester this September? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dunno if there's any starting this year (though I'm assuming there would be), but there's a mature students society and specially arranged study groups as well.
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lil2wkd
Dunno if there's any starting this year (though I'm assuming there would be), but there's a mature students society and specially arranged study groups as well.

Thanks! I won't be alone in wanting a cuppa instead of a party then! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by SarMed25
Hi All,
I'm a Chester girl born and bred and I'm going to be starting this year studying History and living at home. I'm 25 -are there any other "oldies" starting at Chester this September? :smile:

Hey, I'm 23 (24 in October) and live in Ellesmere Port so I'll be living at home too. I'm starting a Masters in Military History in September.
I'm 33, so am definitely an oldie ;0)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by davies1989
Hey, I'm 23 (24 in October) and live in Ellesmere Port so I'll be living at home too. I'm starting a Masters in Military History in September.

MA eh? You're a bit ahead of me! Will you be studying directly under Dr Mclay, I know he's predominantly a military historian? Are you planning on getting a parking permit or just using buses?
Reply 6
Original post by *Debi-Madison*
I'm 33, so am definitely an oldie ;0)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Debi- you're only as old as you feel! what are you studying?
Reply 7
MA eh? You're a bit ahead of me! Will you be studying directly under Dr Mclay, I know he's predominantly a military historian? Are you planning on getting a parking permit or just using buses?

Yeah, I've had a couple of years break since I graduated and want to get back into it. I think he's the course director and he e-mailed me some suggested reading for the course a while back, so I'm guessing I will be. Can't wait to start.

I'm just going to get a student bus pass for the length of the course.
Where abouts in Chester do you live?
Debi- you're only as old as you feel! what are you studying?

Sociology :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi all ,anybody going to Chester University, to study Adult Nursing at Leighton Hospital in Crewe.
Reply 10
Yeah, I've had a couple of years break since I graduated and want to get back into it. I think he's the course director and he e-mailed me some suggested reading for the course a while back, so I'm guessing I will be. Can't wait to start.

I'm just going to get a student bus pass for the length of the course.
Where abouts in Chester do you live?

I'm going to sound really lazy now- I live in Blacon which is maybe a five minute drive away from campus! I need my car for my night job though, so I'm not too sure whether it'll be worth paying for a bus pass if I need to keep my car anyway.

I can't wait to start either, where did you do your BA? I was initially supposed to read History at Durham, but had to turn my place down due to finances last minute. It's been a long eight years of working since, so I'm excited to get stuck into academia again! (Read that as, being a proper grown is awful, can't wait to be a student!)
Reply 11

Which campus is that taught at? History is at Chester, I went for a scout around last week and the building I'll be based in has a coffee shop inside it and is a thirty second walk from the library- bliss!
Sociology is in the Best building, it's the other side of the astro turf, so not far from the library. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to firm the offer, it was quite a trek from where I live and I have an offer on the table for social policy and its closer to home. So hard making these decisions! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

I can't wait to start either, where did you do your BA? I was initially supposed to read History at Durham, but had to turn my place down due to finances last minute. It's been a long eight years of working since, so I'm excited to get stuck into academia again! (Read that as, being a proper grown is awful, can't wait to be a student!)

I graduated from Manchester Met in 2011 with a 2:2 (1.5% off a 2:1) I should have nailed it but my grade plummeted because of being involved in the student protests against the fees and Vice Chair of the American Football team. If I had that time again then I wouldn't do either. Too many distractions.

I'm more determined for this now, though, and I think that living from home will help avoid distractions that come with uni life. I really want to prove that I should have got a 2:1 so I'm aiming for a distinction.

Do you know what areas of history you're studying?
Reply 14
Sociology is in the Best building, it's the other side of the astro turf, so not far from the library. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to firm the offer, it was quite a trek from where I live and I have an offer on the table for social policy and its closer to home. So hard making these decisions! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh OK, where's your other offer for? The cost of travel is what's made me pick Chester, my friend commuted to LJMU and it nearly bankrupt her when petrol prices exploded!
Reply 15
I graduated from Manchester Met in 2011 with a 2:2 (1.5% off a 2:1) I should have nailed it but my grade plummeted because of being involved in the student protests against the fees and Vice Chair of the American Football team. If I had that time again then I wouldn't do either. Too many distractions.

I'm more determined for this now, though, and I think that living from home will help avoid distractions that come with uni life. I really want to prove that I should have got a 2:1 so I'm aiming for a distinction.

Do you know what areas of history you're studying?

You sound pretty determined, I'm sure you'll get it! That's one of the main reasons I walked away from Durham, I would have had to work forty hours a week to keep my head above water, and I know I wouldn't have ended up with the degree I'm capable of.

I'm not really interested in the whole 'uni experience.' I mean, don't get me wrong I'm not boring, but I don't want to live in crappy digs and have parties all the time. I did that as a teenager!

I'm hoping to study as much medieval History as I possibly can, if I can avoid Nazi Germany for the entire three years I'll be elated! I'm much more interested in social History and how key events really influenced society, so the middle ages is my idea of academic heaven! I'm hoping to go on to do a MA afterwards, but it'll be dependent on Money :frown:

What area are you going to be doing your Masters on?
Reply 16

I'm not really interested in the whole 'uni experience.' I mean, don't get me wrong I'm not boring, but I don't want to live in crappy digs and have parties all the time. I did that as a teenager!

I'm hoping to study as much medieval History as I possibly can, if I can avoid Nazi Germany for the entire three years I'll be elated! I'm much more interested in social History and how key events really influenced society, so the middle ages is my idea of academic heaven! I'm hoping to go on to do a MA afterwards, but it'll be dependent on Money :frown:

What area are you going to be doing your Masters on?

Yeah, the 'uni experience' can be a major hindrance at times.
I like Medieval History, but the social side of things that never really interested me, apart from 1930's-70's America.

I have two modules that I have to do:

The History and Theory of Western Warfare

Research Methods and Skills in Military History

Then I have three choices, which will probably be:

Defending the Realm: Fortifications in the Landscape

The American Civil War, 1861-1865

Presenting Warfare: Military Museums in the UK

Reply 17
Yeah, the 'uni experience' can be a major hindrance at times.
I like Medieval History, but the social side of things that never really interested me, apart from 1930's-70's America.

I have two modules that I have to do:

The History and Theory of Western Warfare

Research Methods and Skills in Military History

Then I have three choices, which will probably be:

Defending the Realm: Fortifications in the Landscape

The American Civil War, 1861-1865

Presenting Warfare: Military Museums in the UK

None of those options really appeal to me! I'm afraid the only area of military history I've really had any interest in (with the exception of the crusades) is surrounding the career of General James Wolfe, and that's only because I'm distantly related to him!

Although, 'presenting warfare' is actually quite intriguing me come to think of it. The National Army museum has an exhibition on about the Korean War that I'd quite like to go see.

What's your plan for once you've completed your MA (with distinction?)
Reply 18
I'm afraid the only area of military history I've really had any interest in (with the exception of the crusades) is surrounding the career of General James Wolfe, and that's only because I'm distantly related to him!

Although, 'presenting warfare' is actually quite intriguing me come to think of it. The National Army museum has an exhibition on about the Korean War that I'd quite like to go see.

What's your plan for once you've completed your MA (with distinction?)

That's pretty cool haha. I did my dissertation on Baybars & Saladin from the Crusades. Took me ages to do. 15,000 words!!!

I really want to get into museum/archive work so that's what I'll try to get into, unless I see a point in doing a PhD
Reply 19
That's pretty cool haha. I did my dissertation on Baybars & Saladin from the Crusades. Took me ages to do. 15,000 words!!!

I really want to get into museum/archive work so that's what I'll try to get into, unless I see a point in doing a PhD

That's my end goal too, I'd love to get involved with conservation or heritage. I've been running restaurants for a career, so a job curating in a nice dusty archive, far away from drunk people and screaming children would be bliss! I'd love to do a PhD, but again it'll all depend on finances.

I may be distantly related to General Wolfe (& Deanna Derbin too strangely!) but unfortunately my branch of the family tree are definitely the poor relations.

What are you doing over the summer? Something gap-yeary or just working?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending