The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
Original post by joostan
Lol, I tried doing that but they never seem interesting enough, but go for it :biggrin:

Haha I guess so, let me try using my skills :cyber:
so i was thinking.... How hard is AFM??

Ryan
Original post by tigerz
Haha I guess so, let me try using my skills :cyber:

Like a :ninja:
Original post by ryanb97

Ryan

It's largely mechanics and stats. Apparently M4/5 are hard but the rest are ok.
DJ or Jkn can tell you more, or you can take a look at this thread.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ryanb97

Ryan

I think the difficulty depends on the module
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I think the difficulty depends on the module

By that time, I'd expected you'd have completed most of the modules so you'll probably be doing the same modules as the other's dong AFM.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

Original post by joostan

hehe,, thanks for pointing that out..il post it on that thread...

ryan
Reply 4006
Original post by joostan
Like a :ninja:

It's largely mechanics and stats. Apparently M4/5 are hard but the rest are ok.
DJ or Jkn can tell you more, or you can take a look at this thread.

LOOL, this is probably a failure of a question but...
Differentiate y=7x(cosx)x2 y=7x(cosx)^\frac{x}{2} If its too easy i'll pick a better one
Original post by tigerz
LOOL, this is probably a failure of a question but...
Differentiate y=7x(cosx)x2 y=7x(cosx)^\frac{x}{2} If its too easy i'll pick a better one

Sorry, I was filling out an open day form.
ddx(7xcosx2(x))=7cosx2(x)+7xddx(cosx2(x))\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(7x\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\right) = 7\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x) + 7x\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\right)
Consider:
ddx(cosx2(x))=ddx(ex2ln(cos(x)))\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\right) = \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(e^{\frac{x}{2}\ln(\cos(x))}\right)

Let:
eu=ex2ln(cos(x))[br]ddx(ex2ln(cos(x)))=ex2ln(cos(x))×12(ln(cos(x))xtan(x))e^u=e^{\frac{x}{2}\ln(\cos(x))}[br]\therefore \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(e^{\frac{x}{2}}\ln(\cos(x))\right) = e^{\frac{x}{2}\ln(\cos(x))} \times \frac{1}{2}(\ln(\cos(x)) -x\tan(x))

ddx(7xcosx2(x))=7cosx2(x)+7x2cosx2(x)×(ln(cos(x))xtan(x))[br]=7cosx2(x)(1+7x2×(ln(cos(x))xtan(x)))\therefore \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(7x\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\right) = 7\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x) + \frac{7x}{2}\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\times (\ln(\cos(x)) -x\tan(x))[br]= 7\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\left(1 + \frac{7x}{2}\times (\ln(\cos(x)) -x\tan(x))\right)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4008
Original post by joostan
ddx(7xcosx2(x))=7cosx2(x)+7xddx(cosx2(x))\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(7x\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\right) = 7\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x) + 7x\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\right)
Consider:
ddx(cosx2(x))=ddx(ex2ln(cos(x)))\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\right) = \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(e^{\frac{x}{2}\ln(\cos(x))}\right)

Let:
eu=ex2ln(cos(x))[br]ddx(ex2ln(cos(x)))=ex2ln(cos(x))×(12ln(cos(x))xtan(x))e^u=e^{\frac{x}{2}\ln(\cos(x))}[br]\therefore \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(e^{\frac{x}{2}}\ln(\cos(x))\right) = e^{\frac{x}{2}\ln(\cos(x))} \times (\frac{1}{2}\ln(\cos(x)) -x\tan(x))

Unparseable latex formula:

\therefore \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(7x\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\right) = 7\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x) + \frac{7x}{2}\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\times (\frac{1}{2}\ln(\cos(x)) -x\tan(x))[br]= 7\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\left(1 + \frac{7x}{2}\times (\frac{1}{2}\ln(\cos(x)) -x\tan(x))

Haha no problemo, I think I need to find a more interesting question lols >.<
Original post by tigerz
Haha no problemo, I think I need to find a more interesting question lols >.<

That one was ok, it wasn't so much difficult as tedious :s-smilie:
Reply 4010
Original post by joostan
That one was ok, it wasn't so much difficult as tedious :s-smilie:

LOOOL, haha that was a warm up, one sec lemme search for a better one
Original post by joostan
ddx(7xcosx2(x))=7cosx2(x)+7x2cosx2(x)×(12ln(cos(x))xtan(x))[br]=7cosx2(x)(1+7x2×(12ln(cos(x))xtan(x)))\therefore \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(7x\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\right) = 7\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x) + \frac{7x}{2}\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\times (\frac{1}{2}\ln(\cos(x)) -x\tan(x))[br]= 7\cos^{\frac{x}{2}}(x)\left(1 + \frac{7x}{2}\times (\frac{1}{2}\ln(\cos(x)) -x\tan(x))\right)

Hmmm, I did it differently. Can you tell me if mine's equivalent or just wrong?
dydx=y(xtanx+lncosx2)+yx\dfrac{dy}{dx}=y \left(\dfrac{-xtanx+lncosx}{2}\right)+\dfrac{y}{x}
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by reubenkinara
Hmmm, I did it differently. Can you tell me if mine's equivalent or just wrong?
dydx=y(xtanx+lncosx2)+yx\dfrac{dy}{dx}=y \left(\dfrac{-xtanx+lncosx}{2}\right)+\dfrac{y}{x}

Assuming y is the original function it looks pretty much the same, I considered that but went down the exponential route, your way may well have been quicker :smile:
EDIT: In fact a sneaky half has crept its way into my solution :eek:
Original post by joostan
Assuming y is the original function it looks pretty much the same, I considered that but went down the exponential route, your way may well have been quicker :smile:

Yep. y=7x(cos[x])x2y=7x \left(cos[x] \right)^\frac{x}{2}
Latex error?
Yep. y=7x(cos[x])x2y=7x \left(cos[x] \right)^\dfrac{x}{2}

Yeah, I tidied up my tex a little.
I also factored out y :smile:
Reply 4015
Original post by joostan

You let your guard down :wink: tut tut

Spoiler

Right this is a weird one haha:

There is a rabbit that runs in a perfect circle of radius r with a constant speed v.
A fox chases the rabbit, starting from the center of the circle and also moves with a constant speed v such that it is always between the center of the circle and the rabbit. How long will it take for the fox to catch the rabbit?
Original post by joostan
Yeah, I tidied up my tex a little.
I also factored out y :smile:

I am slightly worried about my solution as it lacks 7s!
I am slightly worried about my solution as it lacks 7s!

The 7s are in the y :tongue:
Original post by tigerz
You let your guard down :wink: tut tut

Spoiler

Right this is a weird one haha:

There is a rabbit that runs in a perfect circle of radius r with a constant speed v.
A fox chases the rabbit, starting from the center of the circle and also moves with a constant speed v such that it is always between the center of the circle and the rabbit. How long will it take for the fox to catch the rabbit?

I'm gonna go eat, I'll sort that in a bit :biggrin:
Reply 4019
Original post by joostan
I'm gonna go eat, I'll sort that in a bit :biggrin:

Okays, I look forward to seeing what method you decide use :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending