The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Original post by RachelG_
Advantages of in vivo cloning:
*Extremely rapid -
*Doesn't require living cells - no complex culturing techniques that require time and effort are needed

Advantages of in vitro cloning:
*Useful when introducing a gene to another organism -
* Almost no risk of contamination - gene is cut by the same restriction enzyme matches the same sticky ends of the opened up vector
*Very accurate
*Cuts out specific genes - more precise
*Produces transformed bacteria that can be used to produce large quantities of gene products - bacteria can produce proteins for commercial or medical use

Hope that helps, don't know exactly how much detail but I'd make notes on everything just to be on the safe side, they might ask questions where you just need brief examples but then there's always a risk of a huge question asking for lots of detail.

Lol u got them the wrong way round bro. In Vitro is the gene cloning, which is done out of living organisms so THAT IS PCR.
In vivo is the gene cloning done within living organisms when you introduce a gene vector into a bacterium to be cloned.

Oh here we go neg me just because I pointed a fault on your precious knowledge :clap2:
(edited 10 years ago)
I know this was a long time ago but does anyone think that the EMPA grade boundaires will be high/low?
How is everyone revising for biology? I'm struggling due t the lack of past papers
Original post by Beth_L_G
How is everyone revising for biology? I'm struggling due t the lack of past papers

have you done all the past papers?
Original post by master y
have you done all the past papers?

I am retake student so I did them all last year. I tried doing them again but I wasn't coming up with answers so much as I was remembering them from when I had previously done them :/
Reply 1345
I know this was a long time ago but does anyone think that the EMPA grade boundaires will be high/low?

I think they will be a tiny bit higher this year as photosynthesis isn't exactly a hard topic. PLUS loads of people have been cheating and giving answers away on EMPAS so yeah...I predict them to be high this time
Reply 1346
Can any of you sexy beasts please explain the carbon cycle to me.. If it was to be summarised in a paragraph...
Original post by Gulzar
Lol u got them the wrong way round bro. In Vitro is the gene cloning, which is done out of living organisms so THAT IS PCR.
In vivo is the gene cloning done within living organisms when you introduce a gene vector into a bacterium to be cloned.

Oh here we go neg me just because I pointed a fault on your precious knowledge :clap2:

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. Btw I didn't neg you, I've literally just seen your post so it was someone else :smile:
Can someone go into detail about the differences between sympathetic and parasympathetic please?
Reply 1349
Original post by RachelG_
Oops, thanks for pointing that out. Btw I didn't neg you, I've literally just seen your post so it was someone else :smile:

My apologies :colondollar:

I hope they're low because I wrote some incredibly stupid sounding answers.
Original post by HELPIMSTUCK
I hope they're low because I wrote some incredibly stupid sounding answers.

like what lol
Can someone explain to me the electron transport chain? In the book it doesnt mention ATP synthase, but in some past papers it does?? help!
like what lol

Why put pondweed in an aquarium?
- So the fish have a place to hide from predators like a shark
- to provide a habitat for symbiotic bacteria which can benefit the fish by eating dirt off their scales to keep them clean (I think I meant zooplankton, not that either would be in the MS)

I'm not completely stupid I just panicked a lot.
Original post by HELPIMSTUCK
Why put pondweed in an aquarium?
- So the fish have a place to hide from predators like a shark
- to provide a habitat for symbiotic bacteria which can benefit the fish by eating dirt off their scales to keep them clean (I think I meant zooplankton, not that either would be in the MS)

I'm not completely stupid I just panicked a lot.

haha i'm sure you made up for it in the other marks... i think for that one i put so that its more like the fish's habitat, so it doesn't get stressed.. lol
Reply 1355
hows everyone revising/ preparing for the 25 mark essay?!! please guys im really struggling :frown:
I know i'm on the wrong unit but does anyone know where I can get the unit 4 paper and mark scheme from January? The Unit 4 thread is really dead :frown:
If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated, sorry again for interrupting :tongue:
Original post by emah123
hows everyone revising/ preparing for the 25 mark essay?!! please guys im really struggling :frown:

I got a book off amazon which isn't expensive, it has 20 practice essays in and it's really good, worth a look http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-A2-Biology-Writing-Synoptic/dp/1907769005/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369754633&sr=8-1&keywords=aqa+unit+5+essay
Original post by emah123

I'm writing out extremely detailed essays for literally every topic i can think of that they could ask about (written 14 so far), and I'm using the internet and books to find off spec relevant info as I go. I'm writing more than I would have time for in exams, but it's just something to revise from.

I'm then reading them repeatedly, writing out plans for each and trying to learn them. This way not only am I prepared for the essay, but as the essays cover the entire spec in detail, it's great revision for the whole paper

Hope this is helpful! :smile:
Reply 1359
Original post by Starlight94
I got a book off amazon which isn't expensive, it has 20 practice essays in and it's really good, worth a look http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-A2-Biology-Writing-Synoptic/dp/1907769005/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369754633&sr=8-1&keywords=aqa+unit+5+essay

yeah ive got this book! how are you using it and how are you revising for the essay? are you just writing loads of them? im really worried i havent done anything for the essay so far :frown: :frown:

Latest