The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArsenalWenger
Hey guys, my teacher was saying you can write in bullet point form for the question from section C, is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes infact it makes it nice and conscise for the examiners :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 241
Original post by feelinginfinite
Does anybody have the markscheme for January 2013's paper? :redface:

Nope sorry not got it, however trying to get it from my teacher :') will post it if I do get it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 242
Does anyone know what would be included in a Q1 essay on intoxication?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 243
Original post by feelinginfinite
I thought the same when I was reading it- that there were tonnes of cases one after the other but not much ao2 development at all (maybe only about 5 marks for ao2), but ao1 was good for case development other than the fact they can't get level 5 without both types explained (so maybe about 10 marks for ao1) since those are both top level 2 and lowest level 2... then (ao3 would be awarded 3 marks)... Probably a total of 18/50 marks? I can't tell if I'm being too harsh or realistic :colondollar: Thanks for getting back to me though! Any chance you have a Q1 essay you'd be willing to share? (I'm rubbish at Q1 structure + ao2 so looking all over for model answers and you sound like you know what you're talking about). I have a theft Q2 that I could share if that's tempting :tongue:

Omissions essay.docx
This is an essay I did on omissions. would love for some feedback :smile:
Reply 244
Guys, I am thinking of just focusing on Duress/ Causation/ Attempts/ Intention and Intoxication for Section A (I mean learn all the AO2 points for these topics only).

Then for Section B focus on Non-fatals/ Theft/ Voluntary Manslaughter and Involuntary Manslaughter with Omissions (Learn AO1 points only and the application).

And lastly, focus on Insanity with Automatism, Murder with Voluntary Manslaughter and Non-fatals (Basically, just read over the actus reus and mens rea).

Do you think this is okay, or too risky? Is anybody doing the same or are you trying to learn the AO2 points for every topic? :smile:
Reply 245
Original post by sazzle11
Omissions essay.docx

That's a really good essay that! the aim is for 5 well developed points, and that is definitely there in the opening and end paragraphs! There is obviously 8 cases and reforms noted, however the way to ensure this would be to lengthen out some of the later paragraphs to AO2+ such as the setting in motion a chain of events, there you can mention Santana Bermudez and Evans!! However it's still really good!

Fancy having a look at one of my essays? It's on duress! Thanks :smile:
Reply 246
Original post by N1037
That's a really good essay that! the aim is for 5 well developed points, and that is definitely there in the opening and end paragraphs! There is obviously 8 cases and reforms noted, however the way to ensure this would be to lengthen out some of the later paragraphs to AO2+ such as the setting in motion a chain of events, there you can mention Santana Bermudez and Evans!! However it's still really good!

Fancy having a look at one of my essays? It's on duress! Thanks :smile:

Thanks so much! Duress is difficult because there is so much to write! and the mark scheme for the question says that you cannot reach level 5 without considering more than one type of duress. So that means thatalthough your essay would be a level 5 if it was soley on duress by threat as you do not discuss circumstances and neccessity as well you cannot achieve level 5 :s
Reply 247
Thanks so much! Duress is difficult because there is so much to write! and the mark scheme for the question says that you cannot reach level 5 without considering more than one type of duress. So that means thatalthough your essay would be a level 5 if it was soley on duress by threat as you do not discuss circumstances and neccessity as well you cannot achieve level 5 :s

Ahhh I thought it you just needed to bear in consideration the two types, such as duress of circumstances in Conway, and just conclude that Necessity and Duress cross over, I'll most likely leave that one out anyway! This is my stronger essay:
Reply 248
Original post by N1037
Ahhh I thought it you just needed to bear in consideration the two types, such as duress of circumstances in Conway, and just conclude that Necessity and Duress cross over, I'll most likely leave that one out anyway! This is my stronger essay:

Tbh if you perhaps condense what you have writtwen on duress by threats to include a paragraph explaining how duress by circumstance and neccesity have developed that would easily push you to level 5 but I agree I hope it doesn't come up just because it seems like you have to do alot to reach level 5. Your attempts essay is very strong, definitely a level 5 answer. hope it come s up :smile:
Reply 249
Tbh if you perhaps condense what you have writtwen on duress by threats to include a paragraph explaining how duress by circumstance and neccesity have developed that would easily push you to level 5 but I agree I hope it doesn't come up just because it seems like you have to do alot to reach level 5. Your attempts essay is very strong, definitely a level 5 answer. hope it come s up :smile:

send me a message if there's anything you want to speak about with the exam :smile:
Omissions essay.docx

Just had a look at it now- it's pretty good and I probably wouldn't be able to do better myself since I haven't even thought of any ao2's yet for omissions! The only points I would make is to perhaps involve more ao2 (like I said, I'm being a bit hypocritical saying this since I don't know them myself), perhaps look at a markscheme? Omissions came up in January 2011 I think :smile: I would say you're a level 4 at the minute but could easily be a level 5 with more ao2 development, and your ao1's are really good! Well done :smile:

Original post by Maerim
Guys, I am thinking of just focusing on Duress/ Causation/ Attempts/ Intention and Intoxication for Section A (I mean learn all the AO2 points for these topics only).

Then for Section B focus on Non-fatals/ Theft/ Voluntary Manslaughter and Involuntary Manslaughter with Omissions (Learn AO1 points only and the application).

And lastly, focus on Insanity with Automatism, Murder with Voluntary Manslaughter and Non-fatals (Basically, just read over the actus reus and mens rea).

Do you think this is okay, or too risky? Is anybody doing the same or are you trying to learn the AO2 points for every topic? :smile:

You're doing pretty much the same as me :tongue: Except I'm not doing intention for Q1 (learning all ao2's just for the other 4 topics though, not everything)... Q2 I'm doing the same exactly. And Q3 I'm focussing on the same except possibly looking over strict liability too for it (if I have time- SL isn't a priority since I'm missing out the topic entirely for Q1+Q2 anyway) :smile:

Hey, sorry to butt in, but I wrote an essay on duress recently too and also just briefly mentioned duress by circumstance (that there's 2 types of duress), cairns proved that no "real" threat is necessary, and that pommell made it clear it wasn't just for driving offences... The bit I highlighted in bold that you wrote- if I just included case facts on Conway/martin before mentioning pommell, do you mean that that would let me reach level 5 for saying how the law developed? ... Also, I didn't mention necessity at all really- I didn't realise we had to mention it if it specified duress (possibly very silly of me) :colondollar: What exactly would you mention on necessity, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 251

Hey, sorry to butt in, but I wrote an essay on duress recently too and also just briefly mentioned duress by circumstance (that there's 2 types of duress), cairns proved that no "real" threat is necessary, and that pommell made it clear it wasn't just for driving offences... The bit I highlighted in bold that you wrote- if I just included case facts on Conway/martin before mentioning pommell, do you mean that that would let me reach level 5 for saying how the law developed? ... Also, I didn't mention necessity at all really- I didn't realise we had to mention it if it specified duress (possibly very silly of me) :colondollar: What exactly would you mention on necessity, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

I think you just need to say that it's barely recognised as a defence in criminal law with Dudley and Stephens, but it is more so in civil law with the cases Re A and Re F
Reply 252
Original post by Maerim

Im doing this
Section 1: causation attempts duress intoxication omissions
Section 2: theft robbery burglary and non fatals
Section3: insanity and automatism
Original post by N1037

I think you just need to say that it's barely recognised as a defence in criminal law with Dudley and Stephens, but it is more so in civil law with the cases Re A and Re F

Ah that makes sense, thanks :smile: No idea why I thought we didn't have to mention it :rolleyes:
Reply 254
Can you write a similar essay style for question 2 like you did for question 1? With the ao1 & ao2 ect
Reply 255
Original post by Frazzlez
Can you write a similar essay style for question 2 like you did for question 1? With the ao1 & ao2 ect

The AO1 will be the same but you only write what you see in the scenario so if you see involuntary manslaughter write about tht but say for example you see intoxication and it's involuntary you just write about involuntary intoxication

For the ao2 you apply the law to the scenario u dnt talk about the same ao2 u would do for section A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theft burglary and robbery have came up in some form in every exam since June 2009. Surely that means they will show up at some point in the paper next week do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 257
Original post by curtisblackham
Theft burglary and robbery have came up in some form in every exam since June 2009. Surely that means they will show up at some point in the paper next week do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes very likely and people have been sayinh theft is the special study next year so its even more likely can anyone show me something official to prove its the special study next year

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 258
Original post by qr95
Im doing this

Shall I do omissions for Section A, would you recommend doing so? :confused: Or will I be fine with those?
Original post by qr95
Im doing this

Insanity and automatism came up in January 2013 in section C why would it be so likely to reappear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending