The Student Room Group

Applying to American Universities with A-Levels and IGCSE's !!

I am applying to UCLA, USC, Duke, or Michigan Sate University. Most probably UCLA or USC. I finished 8 IGCSE's with an A* in all 8 subjects.
I've done 3 AS this year (Maths, Biology and Chemistry) with grades AAA and full UMS in the three subjects. I will be taking 3 A-Levels in these subjects next year and confident that i can get A*A*A*. I will be taking the SAT and two SAT subject tests in maths II and Chemistry this October. TOEFL will be done this summer. I would like to ask if i am missing anything and the score that i need for the SATs for a chance in admission.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by xGolDy
I am applying to UCLA, USC, Duke, or Michigan Sate University. Most probably UCLA or USC. I finished 8 IGCSE's with an A* in all 8 subjects.
I've done 3 AS this year (Maths, Biology and Chemistry) with grades AAA and full UMS in the three subjects. I will be taking 3 A-Levels in these subjects next year and confident that i can get A*A*A*. I will be taking the SAT and two SAT subject tests in maths II and Chemistry this October. TOEFL will be done this summer. I would like to ask if i am missing anything and the score that i need for the SATs for a chance in admission.
Thanks.

What course are applying for in the US.
And how do you know you got full UMS in your A-levels or are you a re-applicant
One question Are you minted cause the cost of US colleges is incredible
Reply 3
Original post by Aerosports
One question Are you minted cause the cost of US colleges is incredible

I agree with Aerosports, the average cost is about $45,000, nearly £30,000 (I wanted to apply to the University of Chicago and New York University). Bearing this cost in mind, I decided I would rather go to a university in the UK and a year abroad in America/Canada.
Original post by Maerim
I agree with Aerosports, the average cost is about $45,000, nearly £30,000 (I wanted to apply to the University of Chicago and New York University). Bearing this cost in mind, I decided I would rather go to a university in the UK and a year abroad in America/Canada.

:smile:
Reply 5
i got Full UMS in AS not A-Levels (which i still didnt do). I am applying for Pre-Medicine or Computer Engineering. Money can be considered later.
You've got great grades but you'll still need to do really well on your SATs to get into the likes of UCLA. 2100 is ideal. Maybe 2000 or less at the likes of Michigan State/USC.

You asked what else you need to apply: you'll need references from your teachers and a "transcript" from your school. You'll also have to write admission essays - each uni has different requirements for this. More info on all aspects of applying can be found here.

Regarding funding, it's true that US unis are v expensive, but bear in mind that they also have lots of financial aid, especially at private unis like USC and Duke.
Reply 7
Hey,

I applied to US colleges this year during a gap year and was l lucky enough to be accepted to University of Chicago and wait listed a Yale.

As one of the posters above said 2100+ is a decent score ad with plenty of prep it's not overly difficult. There's loads of books you can get online (the ones by Barrons and the College Board are the best).

But you need to remember that they don't look at your application the same way most unis do here. They put a lot of emphasis on your extra curriculars, teacher recommendations and your essays so make sure they're good :smile:

I terms of finance, a lot of colleges such as the majority of the ivies, UChicago and Stanford as well as some more I'm sure offer need based financial aid to international students as well as merit aid. I managed to get aid to cover about 95% of my fees and living costs. Worth looking at!

Any questions, give me a shout :smile: good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by John Wallis
You've got great grades but you'll still need to do really well on your SATs to get into the likes of UCLA. 2100 is ideal. Maybe 2000 or less at the likes of Michigan State/USC.

You asked what else you need to apply: you'll need references from your teachers and a "transcript" from your school. You'll also have to write admission essays - each uni has different requirements for this. More info on all aspects of applying can be found here.

Regarding funding, it's true that US unis are v expensive, but bear in mind that they also have lots of financial aid, especially at private unis like USC and Duke.

Well thanks a lot for your time.
Reply 9
Original post by peter1412
Hey,

I applied to US colleges this year during a gap year and was l lucky enough to be accepted to University of Chicago and wait listed a Yale.

As one of the posters above said 2100+ is a decent score ad with plenty of prep it's not overly difficult. There's loads of books you can get online (the ones by Barrons and the College Board are the best).

But you need to remember that they don't look at your application the same way most unis do here. They put a lot of emphasis on your extra curriculars, teacher recommendations and your essays so make sure they're good :smile:

I terms of finance, a lot of colleges such as the majority of the ivies, UChicago and Stanford as well as some more I'm sure offer need based financial aid to international students as well as merit aid. I managed to get aid to cover about 95% of my fees and living costs. Worth looking at!

My extracurricular activities would be basketball. is this enough though?
i did a lot for my basketball team and led them to championships.

For SAT prep. I have the whole summer starting for next week. I am taking it in October. Is this enough time?
Reply 10
Note that you can't do the SAT Reasoning Test and Subject Tests on the same test date.
Reply 11
what scholarship did you get? its so rare to get the opportunity that you were blessed with. what do you think helped you the most in terms of getting that scholarship?
Original post by peter1412
Hey,

i have some inquires about US universities, first is; lets say im going for an engineering course, do my A level subjects need to be specified for the course( Bioengineering, A2 CHEM, MATH, AND PHYSICS) im taking; does my choice of A levels affect the majors i can enter?
what approximate A Level grades do i need to get financial aid?
Do they give credit for AS level or is it better to just go for 3 full alevels?

Thanks, hope my questions arent burdensome
You need to do extra curricular activities and don't forget if you have really good exam results as you said so you can apply for Oxford,Cambridge,UCL vs. First of all you need to be sure about where you want to study, which uni is good for your skills to its improve and don't forget to go to the best university doesn't make you really happy.I know some friends who went to NYU and they were so unhappy because the program that school offered didn't fit for them.However if you're really sure about studying university in USA.You needed to do many activities because in UK extra curricular activities make you ahead but It is much more important for US Universities and you need to take extra tests if you want to apply for Law or Medicine.Good luck for all.
hey, i got 5 A , 2b , 1c in ol . and i got a A in al bio . and sat 1900 . is this good enough to go to uni in america? iam from egypt btw hope u amswer asap pleasee
Reply 15
Original post by salmoly25
hey, i got 5 A , 2b , 1c in ol . and i got a A in al bio . and sat 1900 . is this good enough to go to uni in america? iam from egypt btw hope u amswer asap pleasee

Hey! I am also from Egypt btw :biggrin:

You can study in the US with pretty much any grades. The only difference is that you might have a lower chance of getting admitted to the top schools. If you are serious about applying to the US, you must also have impressive extracurricular activities since grades are not the only thing they consider. You must start working on your applications soon since the deadline for most universities is on January 1. IF you have any other questions, PM me
Hey i am from Cameroun had 7 odinary levels and 4 advance level which was his french and economics wanna continue with economics un the USA is it possible ?
Computer engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending