The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rubyturner94
i thought lignin is only presnt within the cell walls of cell in the xylem and the schelerenchyma not all the cell walls of all the cells in the plant :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely understand why you may be confused, but there is lignin present in cell walls, I don't know whether we actually need to know this though. If it's confusing you, I'd just leave it as I doubt they'd ask like 10 marks based on it
Original post by Divinedify
Second page

Original post by mynameisntbobk
Try this

Can anyone help me with this exam question? In the mark scheme, it says 3.5 to 3.75 (hours). I don't understand how they got that. Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Can anyone help me with this exam question? In the mark scheme, it says 3.5 to 3.75 (hours). I don't understand how they got that. Thank you :biggrin:

Look at the y axis it states that its DNA content. We know that G1 is doubling the organelles apart from chromosomes (DNA) - this doesn't affect the graph because we're looking at the DNA content - and that at S phase its doubling the Chromosomes (DNA) so from 0-6.25 hours its in G1 phase.. which means that the organelles are doubling but not the Chromosomes (DNA) now from 6.25 to 10 hours thats S phase where the chromosomes (DNA) is synthesised. Which means 10-6.25 = 3.75
Reply 444
I definitely understand why you may be confused, but there is lignin present in cell walls, I don't know whether we actually need to know this though. If it's confusing you, I'd just leave it as I doubt they'd ask like 10 marks based on it

Lignin is only present in the secondary cell wall no lignin in the primary cell wall

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 445
The feeling of satifisation after 2 N grades you get an A on an unseen paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 446
Original post by Rubyturner94
omg we havent even done that practical :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing practicals is.pointless your better off learning the practical with control variables

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diggy
Lignin is only present in the secondary cell wall no lignin in the primary cell wall

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you sure? I read somewhere otherwise
are you sure? I read somewhere otherwise

any expectations for this exam? i mean questions from topic 3 not 4 .... at least one u expect will come...i like to hear expectations :smile:
I always loose marks on the questions about them weird things lol i mean everything that is not theory i find weird like i know all the theory and get full marks on the theory questions but how would you lot recommend going about doing the other type of questions? Hope that makes sense :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daniel Atieh
any expectations for this exam? i mean questions from topic 3 not 4 .... at least one u expect will come...i like to hear expectations :smile:

I honestly think stuff on the different cells may come up - like prokaryotes vs eukaryotes
fertilisation I believe will come up (most likely humans, but maybe a bit of plants)
mitosis core practical (don't want it to though)
polynoial inheritance
and maybe some bits on cancer/MAOA/melanin
and stem cells

what are you thinking?
I honestly think stuff on the different cells may come up - like prokaryotes vs eukaryotes
fertilisation I believe will come up (most likely humans, but maybe a bit of plants)
polynoial inheritance
and stem cells

what are you thinking?

Have you got any questions of MAOA, cancer and polygenic inheritance like calculations etc?

I haven't (well i don't remember) seeing those topics in past papers at the edexcel site.
polynoial inheritance
and stem cells

what are you thinking?

yes u r ryt..specially abt the cancer thingy!
also maybe meiosis vs mitosis
a big question abt plants like transpiration.....
btw what is a gene pool? and gv me an example
Original post by CoolRunner
Have you got any questions of MAOA, cancer and polygenic inheritance like calculations etc?

I haven't (well i don't remember) seeing those topics in past papers at the edexcel site.

I actually haven't. MAOA is unlikely to come up UNLESS they give us a bit of information in the question.
I don't know what kind of questions they'd ask for polygenic inheritance, maybe mixed in with multifactorial genes

cancer is a bit different, they could ask how its cause/treated/prevented e.g. or how it affects other body systems
Original post by diggy
The feeling of satifisation after 2 N grades you get an A on an unseen paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Da***? N grades exist? o_O but congrats on the A :biggrin:
yes u r ryt..specially abt the cancer thingy!
also maybe meiosis vs mitosis
a big question abt plants like transpiration.....
btw what is a gene pool? and gv me an example

Mitosis vs meiosis would be great!
Need to revise transpiration, I missed the lesson where we covered it in class :smile:

The gene pool is the total number of alleles present within a species. like every single allele for every single gene
Mitosis vs meiosis would be great!
Need to revise transpiration, I missed the lesson where we covered it in class :smile:

The gene pool is the total number of alleles present within a species. like every single allele for every single gene

yea i got it...
problem is that with unit 2 the boundary is always about 60 ... :frown: ... what u thnk is the best way to get full ums marks? (like max 5 mistakes) ....and hw much u got in Jan unit 1 btw?
yea i got it...
problem is that with unit 2 the boundary is always about 60 ... :frown: ... what u thnk is the best way to get full ums marks? (like max 5 mistakes) ....and hw much u got in Jan unit 1 btw?

Its hard to say with unit 2, I honestly think it depends on the luck of the paper. Make sure you understand what the question is asking before you start writing, if you can't leave it then come back to it.. writing and crossing out and rewriting will waste time you don't have!!! I remember in unit 1, there was a qestion I didn't understand but just went ahead and wrote rubbish, got nothing for that question.

Also, make sure you're actually answering the question and if you're not sure how much to write, write more than enough. If it's worth 2 marks, include 4 points, if it's worth 5 marks (plus QWC) include 7 points and structure your answer clearly.

I got 108 ums in January unit 1, so not full marks :smile:
We don't need to know the process of Meiosis, do we? It's just Mitosis we need to know.
In the CGP revision guide it only states that we should remember that Meiosis gives rise to genetic variation, but we don't need to know the entire process of how Meiosis works.
in the 2013 a question on cancer came up, unlikely it will come up.
i think mitosis and feritilisation will come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending