The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Urgh. Combined total of 9h sleep since sunday, no idea why, I just can't get to sleep and keep waking up stupidly early despite being knackered all day. Had to have about 4 cups of coffee to get through exams mon/tues. Thursday can't come fast enough.
Reply 261
Original post by illusionz
Urgh. Combined total of 9h sleep since sunday, no idea why, I just can't get to sleep and keep waking up stupidly early despite being knackered all day. Had to have about 4 cups of coffee to get through exams mon/tues. Thursday can't come fast enough.

This is how I managed a successful sleep routine during revision:
- Absolutely NO caffeine after 6
- A shot of whiskey at about 10 (this gives you an initial burst of alertness which allows you to squeeze out one more hour of revision, before making you sleepy and relaxed)
- Some light, fluffy escapist reading 30mins before lights out (not TV/Internet, as the glare will keep you awake).

Also I would go to the gym every day of revision, which made me physically more tired.
Original post by Craghyrax
- Some light, fluffy escapist reading 30mins before lights out (not TV/Internet, as the glare will keep you awake).

If I use the computer at night-time, I tint my screen red (being on a Mac, I use an app called f.lux, but there are others for other platforms) - it's easier on the eyes and I'm told it doesn't keep you up as badly. (Something to do with blue being the colour of the daylight sun, with red being the colour of sunset.)
Reply 263
Original post by Smaug123
If I use the computer at night-time, I tint my screen red (being on a Mac, I use an app called f.lux, but there are others for other platforms) - it's easier on the eyes and I'm told it doesn't keep you up as badly. (Something to do with blue being the colour of the daylight sun, with red being the colour of sunset.)

Yep, I also have a nifty app. It works out when sunset/sunrise is and automatically dims the screen in later hours. You're right about the red light/blue light thing, but unfortunately that only makes it less bad for keeping you up. Its no competition to being in a dimly lit room and reading instead.
Original post by lp386
Micro was horrendous. Wasted thirty minutes on an algebra question which I (and the three others I talked to afterwards, all much better mathematicians) simply couldn't get past halfway through part (a).

And the rest of the paper was pretty grim too. (I don't think it was just me.) But still - horrible, horrible, horrible. Don't even want to think about the possibility of not getting a 2.i because of it...

I'm sure it was better than you thought - and if everyone hated it, they'll have to scale marks up! :jumphug:

In other news, I am now halfway through this year (including coursework!) Exams were hard though - the first was just mean, with a question which always comes up being mysteriously absent, and the second paper just wasn't great. Urgh.
Yep, I also have a nifty app. It works out when sunset/sunrise is and automatically dims the screen in later hours. You're right about the red light/blue light thing, but unfortunately that only makes it less bad for keeping you up. Its no competition to being in a dimly lit room and reading instead.

Oh yes, I agree - I'm lucky in having a really muted yellow lamp in my room, which is really pleasant to read in :smile: but if you absolutely have to have a screen up for some reason, red is better than blue.
This is how I managed a successful sleep routine during revision:
- Absolutely NO caffeine after 6
- A shot of whiskey at about 10 (this gives you an initial burst of alertness which allows you to squeeze out one more hour of revision, before making you sleepy and relaxed)

Also I would go to the gym every day of revision, which made me physically more tired.

Would probably have been worth a try but only one left now :tongue: It's odd cause this is my masters year and it is really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I got a very good mark in my BA so this year was basically prolonging getting a job. I don't really care so don't feel stressed, but clearly am on the inside! Also think lacking excercise is a big thing, I play sport like 5 times a week usually.
Reply 267
Original post by Smaug123
Oh yes, I agree - I'm lucky in having a really muted yellow lamp in my room, which is really pleasant to read in :smile: but if you absolutely have to have a screen up for some reason, red is better than blue.
Yep, deffo!
Reply 268
Another one down, 1 more this afternoon, then a six day break. This morning's translation wasn't too traumatic, but the cricket school was cold. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Current reaction following my Equity exam: "I'm gonna make it...I'm gonna make it! :awesome:"

Now to see if it ends like this:

Is anyone putting photos of class lists on a website this year, as someone did last year and the year before?
Original post by lopterton
Is anyone putting photos of class lists on a website this year, as someone did last year and the year before?

Why, do you want them to? :p:

Zygroth is the person to ask, since he took over from Alex last year...

Zygroth
:hi:

Sorry to put you on the spot - any plans to do the class lists again? :smile:
Reply 272
It's supremely hard to revise for exams when you already have a degree and nothing really rides on them.
Awful, awful exam today :frown: I had revised plenty of topics, but none of them came up. They'd massively reduced what the exam covered without telling us. So angry.
Original post by Mrs Cullen
Awful, awful exam today :frown: I had revised plenty of topics, but none of them came up. They'd massively reduced what the exam covered without telling us. So angry.

:console:

If you're not the only one, I'm sure people will complain and they'll have to do something. At worst, since they should know more than the content of the syllabus, I'd expect them to be able to mark your papers based on what you guys learned from the syllabus, even though that's outside the "scope" of the exam.

That's awful though. :sad:
what happens if you don't turn up to exam or final presentation due to "illness"?
Original post by Mrs Cullen

Have you told your DoS? I'd make sure someone knows about it, just in case it needs to become a thing.
Reply 277
Original post by around
It's supremely hard to revise for exams when you already have a degree and nothing really rides on them.

What sort of exams are these? I'm struggling to imagine a scenario in which I'd ever be induced to sit an exam unless something rode on it...
Original post by paracetamol
what happens if you don't turn up to exam or final presentation due to "illness"?
Well if the illness is in inverted commmas, then its down to your college. If they're nice you can degrade and switch to something else. If they're not nice, you're out. If its something reasonably serious that you have evidence for, there might be more flexibility but I don't know. Best bet is to contact CUSU about it.
Reply 278
Original post by Tortious
Sorry to put you on the spot - any plans to do the class lists again? :smile:

Yep - was going to wait til my exams had finished before sorting it out. This is also my last year so it would be good if someone else could take over - it shouldn't involve too much more than copying and pasting some stuff to maintain it!

Definitely trying this -- I need to eliminate the 'too tired to work not tired enough to sleep' stage which usually lasts hours.

Latest

Trending

Trending