The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography A Unit 1: 4 June

Anyone else doing this exam? Which topics are you doing? Which one are you most worried for?

I'm doing Coasts, Restless Earth and Ice on the Land.

Definitely most worried about Ice on the Land, we covered that in just 3 weeks. Honestly, I feel so unprepared.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I am also doing that exam.

I'm doing The Coastal Zone, The Restless Earth and Water on the Land.

I'm most worried about Water on the Land due to the endless amounts of case studies I have to do. I'm guessing Ice on the Land is also like that?
Reply 2
Original post by Mário

I'm most worried about Water on the Land due to the endless amounts of case studies I have to do. I'm guessing Ice on the Land is also like that?

I am doing the exact same as you.
The water on the land has just a few case studies doesn't it??? 2 case studies for flooding and one for water management
Reply 3
Original post by awarnes10
I am doing the exact same as you.
The water on the land has just a few case studies doesn't it??? 2 case studies for flooding and one for water management

Ah, I meant Coasts it has like 3 mini case studies on one location that we have to learn.
Reply 4
I'm doing restless earth, rocks and landscapes and the coastal zone!

I find the coast one the hardest as there are some really random questions. Even though I usually get a/a* this section worries me. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mário

Ice on the Land has only 2 case studies (compared to The Restless Earth which has 5!) but we've spent barely any time on it so I'm a bit worried :/ But hopefully it'll have stuck by the time of the exam :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lilymelrose
I'm doing restless earth, rocks and landscapes and the coastal zone!

I find the coast one the hardest as there are some really random questions. Even though I usually get a/a* this section worries me. :smile:

I'm not a fan of coasts either, just ditched two of the case studies we did in class in favour of ones from the revision guide :P And I have so many notes from class! Ugh, just too much to learn. But it'll be ok.
Original post by jubjubbird01
Anyone else doing this exam? Which topics are you doing? Which one are you most worried for?

Definitely most worried about Ice on the Land, we covered that in just 3 weeks. Honestly, I feel so unprepared.

I'm doing the same ones as you. Same Ice one is definately gonna be the worst

Also i had theory due to the past papers for the restless earth topic

Last years paper 2012 was generally about - Earthquakes
Then in 2011 the question was generally about - Volcanoes
And in 2010 the question was generally about - Earthquakes

So i'm thinking the questions this year will mainly be on Volcanoes. Not 100% sure but i think (hope) that it will be on volcanoes more. I know it's not that much evidence to suggest it will be Volcanoes this year, but it seems like it will be a higher chance that it is on it.

Don't know about the other topics tho
Reply 8
I'm also doing water on land, the coast and restless earth. Personally I find the restless earth case studies the hardest because I always get the details mixed up as they all have damaged buildings, deaths, international responses etc...
Reply 9
I did the paper last year and although I got an A* in my mock I got a C in the exam, which is why I'm retaking. It's so unpredictable as to what is going to be included in the questions, and the mark scheme is so specific and makes it difficult to gain marks. Good luck though haha.
Original post by _cerievans
I did the paper last year and although I got an A* in my mock I got a C in the exam, which is why I'm retaking. It's so unpredictable as to what is going to be included in the questions, and the mark scheme is so specific and makes it difficult to gain marks. Good luck though haha.

But the grade boundaries are ridiculously low....if you get like 50/75 you're guarantied an A*!
Original post by kavym
I'm also doing water on land, the coast and restless earth. Personally I find the restless earth case studies the hardest because I always get the details mixed up as they all have damaged buildings, deaths, international responses etc...

Ikr, especially the earthquake case studies :frown:
Original post by Mário

I don't like the managing water one, probably my least favourite. :frown:
Original post by jubjubbird01

Hello :smile: I'm doing the same as you, just Water instead of Ice...I think i'm worried that a completely random question is going to come up that i'll have to guess at. Don't forget to revise MAP SKILLS! :redface:
Reply 12
I'm also doing restless earth, coastal zone, and water on the land:smile:
Do you have any tips on how to learn the case studies? I need an A* in this and i find it so hard to remember the details!:frown:
looks like most of us are doing the same topics though so we can Q&A nearer the exam? :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by Rawrrr
I'm also doing restless earth, coastal zone, and water on the land:smile:
Do you have any tips on how to learn the case studies? I need an A* in this and i find it so hard to remember the details!:frown:
looks like most of us are doing the same topics though so we can Q&A nearer the exam? :colondollar:

Yet another exam we're both doing! I'll start a Q&A on the 3rd after my History exam. For the case studies, I've just written the basics facts and I'm trying to learn those. What are you doing?
Reply 14
Original post by Quantaˌ
Yet another exam we're both doing! I'll start a Q&A on the 3rd after my History exam. For the case studies, I've just written the basics facts and I'm trying to learn those. What are you doing?

Is there any other better ways of trying to learn them???????
Reply 15
is anyone doing weather and climate? I need someone to desperately explain the passage of a depression to me. Please!!
is anyone doing rivers?
Reply 17

Not that I know of. Besides, I've still got to learn the case studies...

Original post by veniceswan
is anyone doing rivers?

I'm doing rivers...
Reply 18
Original post by Quantaˌ

together forever! i'm doing the history as well on the 3rd:biggrin:
I tried to make basic flashcards for the case studies but i spent too long colouring them in and the pens bled through so you cant even read them, it was so emotional.
Then i made some really cool flashcards...
Reply 19

i think the only way is to just keep writing out and try to memorise the facts, its boring but it has to be doneD:
make some posters and put them around your house so you always see them, it might help them sink in..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending