The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Is that the one at London Zoo/Whipsnade? I looked into it and I agree it does look fun, but I'm not sure that universities count courses that you have to pay for because it isn't fair on those who can't afford it. My parents offered it as a joint Chrsitmas/birthday present, but I thought I'd be better off applying to do experience for free somewhere else.

EDIT: Googled it, it's at Blackpool not London. I still stand by my point though :tongue:

It's not that exact one but similar. It's this http://www.flamingoland.co.uk/zoo-and-conservation/education/keeper-academy.html. Yeah, it says that you get a written reference and portfolio so does that mean you can use it? I don't really know :confused:
Original post by jordyn2
I guess you could say it's fun, but not when it hits 115 F or 45 C. Will definitely not be living here when I'm older!

Bloomin' 'eck! We get excited if we get anything over 20C! :lol:

Original post by Sophjeff
It's not that exact one but similar. It's this http://www.flamingoland.co.uk/zoo-and-conservation/education/keeper-academy.html. Yeah, it says that you get a written reference and portfolio so does that mean you can use it? I don't really know :confused:

Hmm, I'm not sure. You could definitely use it, but my honest (cynical :tongue: ) view is that all of the references they write will be more or less the same. There's only so much they can learn about you in six days.

Pah, ignore me. If you can afford it then you may as well go :biggrin: . If vet schools accept it as valid experience then that's great, if not then you've still learn loads and had a great time so nothing lost. :smile:
Reply 1122

Hmm, I'm not sure. You could definitely use it, but my honest (cynical :tongue: ) view is that all of the references they write will be more or less the same. There's only so much they can learn about you in six days.

Pah, ignore me. If you can afford it then you may as well go :biggrin: . If vet schools accept it as valid experience then that's great, if not then you've still learn loads and had a great time so nothing lost. :smile:

That what I was thinking because its only six days so they will only know a bit about us haha I think I might just email them asking more about it! :smile: thanks for the help though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1123

Oh my gosh! It rarely gets that cold here, even in the winter! I was in London in October and it was some of the coldest weather I've been in!
Is that the one at London Zoo/Whipsnade? I looked into it and I agree it does look fun, but I'm not sure that universities count courses that you have to pay for because it isn't fair on those who can't afford it. My parents offered it as a joint Chrsitmas/birthday present, but I thought I'd be better off applying to do experience for free somewhere else.

Original post by Sophjeff

A couple of years ago I did experience at Whipsnade for two weeks, and this was free, but had a 2 year waiting list! I wouldn't spend £300 on a placement and feel that zoos shouldn't be charging to much which might exclude students from less fortunate backgrounds.... it's bad enough doing them for free and paying to get there :s-smilie:

Any experience is useful and my zoo experience was really enjoyable and a memorable experience. As a general rule, however, unis don't tend to prefer free work experience as not everyone can afford to pay for courses or go abroad.

You should keep a diary for your own notes, but unis are never interested in portfolios.

I disagree, you can learn a fair amount about someone in a week, but obviously is a certain aspect of you shines through references will tend to repeat themselves, but all of mine were quite different, some better than others!
Original post by SilverstarDJ
A couple of years ago I did experience at Whipsnade for two weeks, and this was free, but had a 2 year waiting list! I wouldn't spend £300 on a placement and feel that zoos shouldn't be charging to much which might exclude students from less fortunate backgrounds.... it's bad enough doing them for free and paying to get there :s-smilie:

Any experience is useful and my zoo experience was really enjoyable and a memorable experience. As a general rule, however, unis don't tend to prefer free work experience as not everyone can afford to pay for courses or go abroad.

You should keep a diary for your own notes, but unis are never interested in portfolios.

Umm, I'm afraid I don't quite get that :colondollar: . Do they prefer free WEx or not? :colondollar:
Original post by jordyn2
Oh my gosh! It rarely gets that cold here, even in the winter! I was in London in October and it was some of the coldest weather I've been in!

Oh nice, whereabouts did you go :biggrin:? I've been known to go camping when it was -10, and I was going WEx outside on the farm for the first week of January when it was below 0. Sometimes about three pairs of socks are necessary, but you get used to it :wink: .
Reply 1127
Oh nice, whereabouts did you go :biggrin:? I've been known to go camping when it was -10, and I was going WEx outside on the farm for the first week of January when it was below 0. Sometimes about three pairs of socks are necessary, but you get used to it :wink: .

We just went to central London, right by Oxford Street. I wish I got to experience that type of weather! I love the cold:biggrin:
Umm, I'm afraid I don't quite get that :colondollar: . Do they prefer free WEx or not? :colondollar:

Free wex is preferred.

I meant zoo experience is useful in the sense that many people enjoy it and it opens you up to new experiences. I wouldn't discourage people doing paid courses if they have the means to and think they would enjoy it, so long as people realise that it may not be as useful in your vet application and does not detract from the "core" husbandry experiences that you have to get (farms especially dairy and lambing time, horse stables/riding school, cats&dog kennels, small animals vet, large animal vet...etc)
Original post by jordyn2
We just went to central London, right by Oxford Street. I wish I got to experience that type of weather! I love the cold:biggrin:

Cool :biggrin: You should come here one year in December to see the Christmas lights!

Original post by SilverstarDJ
Free wex is preferred.

I meant zoo experience is useful in the sense that many people enjoy it and it opens you up to new experiences. I wouldn't discourage people doing paid courses if they have the means to and think they would enjoy it, so long as people realise that it may not be as useful in your vet application and does not detract from the "core" husbandry experiences that you have to get (farms especially dairy and lambing time, horse stables/riding school, cats&dog kennels, small animals vet, large animal vet...etc)

I see, thanks for clearing that up :yep: I'm planning on going to a zoo next year, but before that I should hopefully have done experience at a SA vet, exotics vet, LA vet, urban farm, commercial dairy farm, pet shop, riding stable, cattery, quarantine kennel and a rescue centre so hopefully that should be alright.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1130
Cool :biggrin: You should come here one year in December to see the Christmas lights!

That would be really cool! I'm also hoping to get some work experience somewhere in the UK one summer. We just don't have farms here:frown:
Original post by jordyn2
That would be really cool! I'm also hoping to get some work experience somewhere in the UK one summer. We just don't have farms here:frown:

As I said before, I'm not sure what the entry requirements are for international applicants but they might be lenient if this really is the case. Remember that abattoirs and other places related to good production count as well :smile:
Reply 1132
As I said before, I'm not sure what the entry requirements are for international applicants but they might be lenient if this really is the case. Remember that abattoirs and other places related to good production count as well :smile:

The work experience is lighter for international applicants, but I really want to be caught up with everyone else when I start university:biggrin:
Original post by jordyn2
The work experience is lighter for international applicants, but I really want to be caught up with everyone else when I start university:biggrin:

Fair enough :smile: . What are your reasons for choosing to study in the UK, out of curiosity? (Aside from the climate! :lol: )
Reply 1134
Fair enough :smile: . What are your reasons for choosing to study in the UK, out of curiosity? (Aside from the climate! :lol: )

There aren't too many vet schools in America that interest me besides Cornell, and I really enjoyed myself when I visited in October. So much that I'm coming back in July!:biggrin:
Reply 1135
Original post by jordyn2
There aren't too many vet schools in America that interest me besides Cornell, and I really enjoyed myself when I visited in October. So much that I'm coming back in July!:biggrin:

Bear in mind the fees for you will be extraordinarily high! Not putting you off but just so you know, I think it's £20,000 for Glasgow which is roughly $30,000+ per annum. But studying in the UK reaps its benefits, it's quicker and the facilities of the universities are world class :smile: Are you wanting to return to North America to work? If so you would need to apply to an AVMA accredited uni - RVC, Glasgow and Edinburgh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
X

How was the AI? :biggrin:
Reply 1137
Just back from dairy farm!

Got to work with the vet today! No AI however I got to see him do PDs and castrations of young bulls who had been missed during ringing or it broke. It was really fun! Plus I got to help with the dehorning of some of the young Holsteins! Aaah! It was a good day :smile:

You lot have been busy when I have been away! Welcome to the sudden surge of new posters!! I would mention my experience but I can't be bothered its on my profile if anyone's interested :tongue: two days till my final exam woohoo!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1138
How was the AI? :biggrin:

No AI today :frown: but got to do other vetty things! The vet (from Glasgow uni) who usually does it was away so someone else was in plus none were ready for it. Ah well, I've mentioned the rest in the post above :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1139
Original post by CanineVet
Bear in mind the fees for you will be extraordinarily high! Not putting you off but just so you know, I think it's £20,000 for Glasgow which is roughly $30,000+ per annum. But studying in the UK reaps its benefits, it's quicker and the facilities of the universities are world class :smile: Are you wanting to return to North America to work? If so you would need to apply to an AVMA accredited uni - RVC, Glasgow and Edinburgh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The tuition for international students is astronomical! Hopefully, I'll get a job in the next year and start saving. I doubt I'd return to America to work, but it's possible. It's a shame Cambridge and Bristol aren't AVMA accredited, but who knows, maybe they will be by the time I'm at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending