The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Religious Studies - Thursday 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Is "Revelation and Holy Scripture" an actual sub-topic? It's in my textbook (the one written by Matthew Taylor) but it's not down on the specification?
Original post by Halfway_Book
Is "Revelation and Holy Scripture" an actual sub-topic? It's in my textbook (the one written by Matthew Taylor) but it's not down on the specification?

It's part of religious experience, so yes it is.
Main stuff is special and general revelation, propositional and non-propositional revelation and then literalism, conservatives and liberals...
Original post by lordmackery
It's part of religious experience, so yes it is.
Main stuff is special and general revelation, propositional and non-propositional revelation and then literalism, conservatives and liberals...

thanks mate!
Reply 103
Original post by JakeAReynolds
My teachers also think propositional revelation (urgh), symbols (yay) and verification (yay) are pretty good bets!

I've been predicted:
The Word of God
Symbols
Verification/Falsiciation
Boethius (very likely I think)
And a possible name on life after death, e.g. Hick and Plato :smile:
hi,
anyone have ocr 2009 past papers?
Original post by Divergent
I've been predicted:
The Word of God
Symbols

I'd love a question on Plato or Aristotle!
Reply 106
Original post by JakeAReynolds
I'd love a question on Plato or Aristotle!

Same :biggrin:

My teacher feels it's highly doubtful the guy who writes the papers will give us Plato/Aristotle though, simply because our "generation" has been "Plato-ed to death" apparently, because our AS June 2012 paper was plato/aristotle and apparently the january AS paper was also plato again.

Would be lovely though :smile:

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a lovely language question :biggrin:
Original post by ellaluka
I need help, my RS teacher insists that you must have a solid argument throughout and use judgemental sentences the whole way through; he really emphasises that we need to talk about OUR opinion - which therefore, the way he's telling us, jepodises putting in A01 massively. But he has also given us past answers that have been done in the past, which have recieved top marks, but I can see no own judgement in. HELP ME, how do you tackle it!?

Yeah my teacher has said a similar thing, have you decided on how you'll structure it then?
Next week I'm also doing the ethics A2 exam. I need to get an A in this exam to get an A over all because i've gotten all high B's, so I need about 85 ums marks. :s-smilie: any tips?

Also, does anyone have any predictions of whats gonna come up in that exam??

Hi could you guys help me on how to write a conclusion for these essays, as my teacher says never to add new things in your conclusion but I feel like I'm just repeating the things I'm talking about in the essay. Please help:redface:
Original post by lmacknold20

Hi could you guys help me on how to write a conclusion for these essays, as my teacher says never to add new things in your conclusion but I feel like I'm just repeating the things I'm talking about in the essay. Please help:redface:

The conclusion is at the end of the essay because you're cementing the whole argument together, so there's usually a view that is challenged and your essay steers more towards for or against. It's like you're tying the whole argument together why you've steered more towards one side so kind of listing the points you've already made, so it wouldn't make sense adding in new information at the end because it's not part of the argument.

I'm not sure if that makes sense :frown: I hope that makes sense, or someone help me out :s-smilie:
That the whole point of a conclusion, you will need to conclude your argument at. The end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellaluka
I need help, my RS teacher insists that you must have a solid argument throughout and use judgemental sentences the whole way through; he really emphasises that we need to talk about OUR opinion - which therefore, the way he's telling us, jepodises putting in A01 massively. But he has also given us past answers that have been done in the past, which have recieved top marks, but I can see no own judgement in. HELP ME, how do you tackle it!?

Our teacher says the same, as the syllabus requires a hollistic argument giving your opinion and coming to a judgement at the end. The reason you have past essays which don't do this but scored highly is because they syllabus changed last year meaning that before that they didn't have to come to a conclusion. TBH I wouldn't worry about it too much, just introduce each new idea as being convincing/unconvincing and come to a definite conclusion at the end. It really shouldn't jeopardise the A01 too much, and it'll really help your A02!

Jake your blogs are great! THANK YOU!
Reply 113
Original post by Divergent
I've been predicted:
The Word of God
Symbols

I think miracles will come up as it is a massive topic and hasn't come up in 2 years.
Original post by Groovylice
Next week I'm also doing the ethics A2 exam. I need to get an A in this exam to get an A over all because i've gotten all high B's, so I need about 85 ums marks. :s-smilie: any tips?

Also, does anyone have any predictions of whats gonna come up in that exam??

These are a few prediction i've been told:
virtue ethics and the environment
utilitarianism and sexual ethics - particularly contraception/homosexuality
'God knows what ethical decisions we will make' Discuss
Something to do with determinism and moral responsibility
Also, meta ethics was suggested but i'm not revising the topic so didn't write it down.

What id say is always support or challenge what you say and justify it. E.g. Utilitarianism is perhaps the best approach to have when considering sexual issues such as contraception as it's consequentialist view aims to do what is best for the majority of people. (why?).. This would mean that contraception would be accepted as it would prevent the spreading of HIV and Aids in less developed countries.

Nevertheless, some would argue that natural law is a better approach because...... One issue with natural law however is its lack of consideration to individual circumstances which is needed for moral issues as such.

I hope you get what i'm trying to put across, keep balancing your argument but try and always keep your overall opinion relatively clear.
Hi are you guys skipping any topics.
For ethics I was thinking of skipping meta ethics and business and environmental ethics
Do you guys think this is a good idea?
No, environment and business are like one area, so I think one is surely going to come up. Meta ethics hasn't come up in the last 2 exams so I think it will come up.
My prediction of what's going to come up is,
Meta ethics
Determinism
Environment applied to a theory
And sexual ethics
hey (:
any predictions for the A2 New Testament paper on the 6th?
I'm guessing not person of Jesus and Law and Ethics because they came up in Jan?
idk though, any help would be really appreciated, thanks.
Original post by studentgrace
These are a few prediction i've been told:
virtue ethics and the environment
utilitarianism and sexual ethics - particularly contraception/homosexuality
'God knows what ethical decisions we will make' Discuss
Something to do with determinism and moral responsibility
Also, meta ethics was suggested but i'm not revising the topic so didn't write it down.

What id say is always support or challenge what you say and justify it. E.g. Utilitarianism is perhaps the best approach to have when considering sexual issues such as contraception as it's consequentialist view aims to do what is best for the majority of people. (why?).. This would mean that contraception would be accepted as it would prevent the spreading of HIV and Aids in less developed countries.

Nevertheless, some would argue that natural law is a better approach because...... One issue with natural law however is its lack of consideration to individual circumstances which is needed for moral issues as such.

I hope you get what i'm trying to put across, keep balancing your argument but try and always keep your overall opinion relatively clear.

Hi, could you elaborate on what you mean for the part in bold please? How would you make it clear what your opinion is, would you simply state it early on saying something like "the best argument is" or would you imply it?
For Ethics, Environment and business ethics is mentioned together in the syllabus, does that mean they can only ask one question on either of these (or possibly even both) but they can't ask two separate questions can they?

I don't like environmental and virtue ethics as much as the others, so if I did not revise environment, business and virtue, I would still have at least two other questions to choose from right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending