The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reubenkinara
In C3, for harmonic form is it okay if you already know how to compute R and alpha. Or do you have to do the whole thing by saying Rcos(θ+α)=R(cosθcosαsinθsinα)...Rcos(\theta + \alpha)= R(cos\theta cos \alpha - sin \theta sin \alpha) \Rightarrow...?

I always show the method otherwise I'm concerned if I'd lose the method marks for it. :smile:
Original post by MathsNerd1
Yeah it also annoys me if I see a question that I can't do straight away so I tend to diverge from my current task to solve the question that has been asked, if I've got the ability and knowledge to that is :tongue: I'd rather have the A level papers include some of the questions we ask on here instead of most of the repetitious questions that appear in the actual exams :biggrin:

I don't even bother trying them :colone: hence I was meant to disappear from the thread for a bit.
Original post by Robbie242
Proofs aren't that bad tbh! and that sounds more like jealousy than irrelvancy? (not a word don't quote me). Your in year 11, some of this stuff needs to be done by people in year 12 and 13 to become more open minded mathematically rather than following a tedious syllabus. You can class induction as fp1, and irrationality questions I have heard come up in c3 solomons or something like that?

Anyway I understand your point, but this thread feels a bit more approachable for people like myself getting into the whole the STEP thing if you understand why I mean.

Irrelevance* :tongue:

It's not that I can't do them (I've never tried to actually). I guess I'm just stubborn in that I won't join in because I don't agree with it :colone:

It's not like I'm condemning it, I just... Yeah

I'm gonna get warned if I carry this on... :colonhash: and I have enough points so...

Something a level maths-y related...

I've decided not to go to any lengths with maths! Just gonna keep it simple... With FP1-3 M2-3 and S2 :awesome:
Reply 4122
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Haha :wink: very funny

Yeah, I think I get annoyed because I can't see the code on my phone and so can't be bothered attempting them tbh

Proofs just irritate me too!

It's probably because I never do them, and I feel crap when I see you guys do it.

Anyway... S1, seeing as my exams in over a week.

Any way in remembering all.those probabiliTy and Venn **** stuff?

HEY! I can't believe you get in trouble in your own thread for spamming :/
I enjoy proofs :P, I have an S1 notes/doc if you want it :biggrin:
Original post by tigerz
HEY! I can't believe you get in trouble in your own thread for spamming :/
I enjoy proofs :P, I have an S1 notes/doc if you want it :biggrin:

Don't get me started:wink:

Ahah, my S1 is Edexcel S2 mostly. So it won't be the same, thanks though :smile:

In C3, for harmonic form is it okay if you already know how to compute R and alpha. Or do you have to do the whole thing by saying Rcos(θ+α)=R(cosθcosαsinθsinα)...Rcos(\theta + \alpha)= R(cos\theta cos \alpha - sin \theta sin \alpha) \Rightarrow...?

What do you mean?

I say:

R^2 = ...
Alpha = tan^-1 b/a...

And then plug it in.

Original post by Fabash
Emm I'm in year7 and I'm like really into maths I do yr 10and 11 work and sometimes even get 95 percent could you please tell me what should I be doing??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Relaxing.
I always show the method otherwise I'm concerned if I'd lose the method marks for it. :smile:

I see. Do you tend do draw diagrams for C4 vectors? I only do so when the Q is not straightforward whereas others draw them at every opportunity.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't even bother trying them :colone: hence I was meant to disappear from the thread for a bit.

Irrelevance* :tongue:

It's not that I can't do them (I've never tried to actually). I guess I'm just stubborn in that I won't join in because I don't agree with it :colone:

It's not like I'm condemning it, I just... Yeah

I'm gonna get warned if I carry this on... :colonhash: and I have enough points so...

Something a level maths-y related...

I've decided not to go to any lengths with maths! Just gonna keep it simple... With FP1-3 M2-3 and S2 :awesome:

Sounds good, and similar to my choices as well, though I need to convince my teachers that I may perhaps want to do M3

I kinda feel obliged to post a problem to each post
how about some s2

Spoiler

Real Talk

Ahah, my S1 is Edexcel S2 mostly. So it won't be the same, thanks though :smile:

What do you mean?

I say:

R^2 = ...
Alpha = tan^-1 b/a...

And then plug it in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Relaxing.

That's what I do also but I don't want to lose any M1s this time around in C3. At the same time, I don't want to waste time!
Sounds good, and similar to my choices as well, though I need to convince my teachers that I may perhaps want to do M3

I kinda feel obliged to post a problem to each post
how about some s2

Spoiler

No teachers can tell me what to do :awesome:

:lol: what do you do for that? :facepalm: I feel so thick

Real Talk

It's true, he's in yr7.
No teachers can tell me what to do :awesome:

:lol: what do you do for that? :facepalm: I feel so thick

It's true, he's in yr7.

From S1

F(x)=P(Xx)F(x)=P(X\leq x) Where the F(1)=1
I see. Do you tend do draw diagrams for C4 vectors? I only do so when the Q is straightforward whereas others draw them at every opportunity.

I never draw diagrams for vector questions as I can't get the diagram straight in my head so it's pointless of drawing one that won't make any sense to me. But everyone else in my class always draws them, they don't get the correct answers though so it's really up to you :smile:
From S1

F(Xx)F(X\leq x) Where the F(1)=1

What?:lol:
What?:lol:

Sorry edited it! it was

F(x)=P(Xx)F(x)=P(X\leq x) I.e. the cumulative distribution function
Sorry edited it! it was

F(x)=P(Xx)F(x)=P(X\leq x) I.e. the cumulative distribution function

Cumulative.d.f dx = P.d.f?

Not related to your thing, but?
I never draw diagrams for vector questions as I can't get the diagram straight in my head so it's pointless of drawing one that won't make any sense to me. But everyone else in my class always draws them, they don't get the correct answers though so it's really up to you :smile:

I see. I find a rough sketch is extreemly useful in modelling vector questions with areas on geometric shapes.
Cumulative.d.f dx = P.d.f?

Not related to your thing, but?

You can find one the equations of a and b by doing this, but then you need to consider the area under a pdf (once you have it) being equal to 1. You can also find another equation by using the property of the cumulative distribution function, involving F(a number)=1
Reply 4136

What do you mean?

I say:

R^2 = ...
Alpha = tan^-1 b/a...

And then plug it in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Relaxing.

Ahh okays :smile: I have decent probability + venn thingies for edexcel s1
I see. I find a rough sketch is extreemly useful in modelling vector questions with areas on geometric shapes.

I just hack my way through all the working out instead and sometimes take about 15 minutes to get the final 3 marks, but I still get the correct answer so it's all good in my eyes :tongue:
I just hack my way through all the working out instead and sometimes take about 15 minutes to get the final 3 marks, but I still get the correct answer so it's all good in my eyes :tongue:

Each to there own I suppose. How's maths revision? I haven't managed to start yet :frown: but I'm not too worried. Are you in the zone, i.e averaging 70\geq{70}?
You can find one the equations of a and b by doing this, but then you need to consider the area under a pdf (once you have it) being equal to 1. You can also find another equation by using the property of the cumulative distribution function, involving F(a number)=1

Oh. You want me to do the question :lol: right, what is it again?

Original post by tigerz
Ahh okays :smile: I have decent probability + venn thingies for edexcel s1

If you wouldn't mind:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending