The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
Visually I thought it looked great I just couldn't warm to the story at all. The characters except Warwick Davies just seemed wasted and I felt there was a lack of cybermen.
I think a lot of people (me included) had very high standards considering the words 'Neil Gaiman' and 'cybermen' associated with an episode and I felt it just didn't deliver.
Original post by wegan2
Well in the end it's all down to personal opinion. For example in Classic Who Colin Baker's first season is one of my favourites which isn't the usual view!

I really enjoyed the last series except for The Rings of Akhaten and Nightmare in Silver whereas in series 2 I watched again recently and really didn't like it-only enjoyed about 3 episodes!
And Love & monsters (Peter Kay) is not one I enjoyed! :smile:

With me Colin Baker is a bit more on the hate side than like, he was a bit too hammy in his acting and it felt like it didnt suit the scripts he had, if he toned it down it would of been better and also a better costume and more than 1 companion as Peri never seemed to get any plot development.

I generally liked the trial apart from the trial segments.

I liked Mccoys Doctor but he was let down by the low budget and his plots could of had a little more development or not shoved in one episode I loved how dark Doc 7 could be.
Run you clever boy.
Original post by MENDACIUM
Run you clever boy.

What are you implying? :holmes:
Original post by SirMasterKey
What are you implying? :holmes:

Spoilers :wink:
Original post by drbluebox
To me it seems like a generic 21 year old just wanting to bash and thinking being negative and swearing is cool.

Also the fact he calls them "seasons"(thats what Americans call things) and thinks it has ruined what he liked in his childhood means he doestn seem to realise Dr Who existed before as many people think NU Who has destroyed what they liked in their childhood.

Quite funny how he bases everything on how a 11 year old finds it hard to understand when many shows aimed at kids that age treat kids like they have a below average iq and he complains this one is too complex! Also funny to act if pre series 5 took a long time to finish its stories when people are complaining how Moffat drags his stories on! Also old who had long story arcs, generally 4 episodes for 1 story and 7-10 for the older ones!

It's SERIES 7 not SEASON 7! dont think of that as trolling but the boxsets themselves say SERIES on them, season is the Americanisation of things.

Now I think Matt Smiths Doctor is a bit strange but I was fed up of David Tennant by the end, though if MS was in Ecclesons series he would of been great in that.

Ok first of all, calling them series/seasons isn't really that big of a deal because they both make sense. However saying "would of" instead of "would've" is just bad grammar. It's my most hated grammar mistake that people constantly make because they just say what they hear when people don't pronounce their words properly.

I think most people would agree that Steven Moffat does not drag his stories out too long. He just leaves big intervals between them. It's been years since series 2 of Sherlock and only now are they filming series 3. So he can't use that excuse for spacing out Doctor Who episodes so far apart and making us wait so long for episodes that aren't even worth it. He makes everything happen too fast, like breaking up Amy and Rory in Asylum of the Daleks and then bringing them back all in the space of 45 minutes before we even get a chance to care about it.

Also the fact that an 11 year old picked up on the bad writing and plots just strengthens his argument. And I've heard a LOT of bad critique about Moffat's episodes, and it just seems to be getting worse. Why is he not listening to his audience and improve it?

Most people prefer David Tennant to Matt Smith, not because he's a better actor - it's because the quality of writing went downhill from when MS started. And that's all Moffat's fault.
So yeah that's me defending the article... ok.
Original post by Dragonrage973
Ok first of all, calling them series/seasons isn't really that big of a deal because they both make sense. However saying "would of" instead of "would've" is just bad grammar. It's my most hated grammar mistake that people constantly make because they just say what they hear when people don't pronounce their words properly.

I think most people would agree that Steven Moffat does not drag his stories out too long. He just leaves big intervals between them. It's been years since series 2 of Sherlock and only now are they filming series 3. So he can't use that excuse for spacing out Doctor Who episodes so far apart and making us wait so long for episodes that aren't even worth it. He makes everything happen too fast, like breaking up Amy and Rory in Asylum of the Daleks and then bringing them back all in the space of 45 minutes before we even get a chance to care about it.

Also the fact that an 11 year old picked up on the bad writing and plots just strengthens his argument. And I've heard a LOT of bad critique about Moffat's episodes, and it just seems to be getting worse. Why is he not listening to his audience and improve it?

Most people prefer David Tennant to Matt Smith, not because he's a better actor - it's because the quality of writing went downhill from when MS started. And that's all Moffat's fault.

I think the dragging stories too long was for instance the voice which sounded when the Tardis was blown up (still not fully explained). There are other things - the Silence were meant to be a big bad, yet they appeared in the opener, they kind of ran through series 6 loosely, River was meant to kill the Doctor, she poisoned him, then was forced to kill him at the end of the series, after that they seem to have disappeared, not being surprised at all that the doctor is disappearing from computers, etc etc.
Original post by rmhumphries
I think the dragging stories too long was for instance the voice which sounded when the Tardis was blown up (still not fully explained). There are other things - the Silence were meant to be a big bad, yet they appeared in the opener, they kind of ran through series 6 loosely, River was meant to kill the Doctor, she poisoned him, then was forced to kill him at the end of the series, after that they seem to have disappeared, not being surprised at all that the doctor is disappearing from computers, etc etc.

The Silence thought the Doctor was dead so they don't really need to appear and I know that they really should because they were the big bad but I think thats because they haven't gotten as big a reception as Moffat hoped and watch out for the Tardis voice thing

Spoiler

-it definitely wasn't the Silents.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
The Silence thought the Doctor was dead so they don't really need to appear and I know that they really should because they were the big bad but I think thats because they haven't gotten as big a reception as Moffat hoped and watch out for the Tardis voice thing

Spoiler

-it definitely wasn't the Silents.

If the doctor is dead, why is everything about him disappearing?
If the voice is explained in the 50th, that is certainly a long running story line.

Just personal opinon though as I like a lot of Classic Who far better than Nu Who purely as new episodes feel too rushed with the Doctor waving his magic wand and its all over, and every series ends with a deux ex machina as for my grammar I dont make much effort online as its not as if I am marked on it and I also have disablities

A 11 year old picking up on "bad" writing does not really say much as she could of just gone by her older brothers reactions and since she didnt like it it was bad writing.

Look at the title of the article, it basically is an attack on Moffat just because they don't like his writing.
Interesting article on the BBC website today about why Doctor Who was a bit rubbish (apparently) in the 80s...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22628484
Original post by Feefifofum
Interesting article on the BBC website today about why Doctor Who was a bit rubbish (apparently) in the 80s...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22628484

In terms of budget it was awful, the 5th Doctor was really good but by the time it got to 6 the budget couldnt cut it, and it just went downhill but I remember reading comments in the past how someone high up in the BBC slashed the budget as he thought the show was awful then cancelled it a few years later with the reasons being things like the special effects couldnt keep up with modern times.

There is some great stories in the 80's, any anniversary story like Five/Two Doctors or Remembrance Of The Daleks, and the 7th Doctor started to get interesting things added which were never resolved.

I remember one of the costumes in Tom Baker's era made me cringe, it was a guy in a green costume with loads of bubble wrap to make it lizard like.
Reply 1452
Original post by drbluebox
In terms of budget it was awful, the 5th Doctor was really good but by the time it got to 6 the budget couldnt cut it, and it just went downhill but I remember reading comments in the past how someone high up in the BBC slashed the budget as he thought the show was awful then cancelled it a few years later with the reasons being things like the special effects couldnt keep up with modern times.

There is some great stories in the 80's, any anniversary story like Five/Two Doctors or Remembrance Of The Daleks, and the 7th Doctor started to get interesting things added which were never resolved.

I remember one of the costumes in Tom Baker's era made me cringe, it was a guy in a green costume with loads of bubble wrap to make it lizard like.

Was it the one with the Ark in Space or something? The Wirrn I think they're called, I saw the episode a few years ago and yeah, the costume was a bit... iffy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1453
Original post by wegan2
I've never quite understood the sheer level of Moffat bashing from fans. It hasn't been perfect-series 6 was a confusing mess and I don't agree with the no two parters/split series idea but the quality of the show is still high. The latest series finale is probably the best since the revival.

People seem to view RTD's reign with rose-tinted glasses-Series 4 was brilliant but some parts of series 2 and 1 are far poorer than what is currently being produced.

Series 1 and 2 were almost perfect, series 1 especially so, struggle to find a majority who'd agree with that!

I never understood these people who overrated Moffat from the start, hasn't exactly turned out great, every single 'casual' fan I talk to has gone off the series massively, every single one state the 'too confusing and complex storylines' thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Found this blog post and it puts perfectly into words how I feel about seasons 5 - 7 of Doctor Who. Almost feel like crying now :/
http://stfu-moffat.tumblr.com/post/30991164205/how-moffat-ruined-doctor-who-for-my-little-sister

Found something a little sadder:

http://faceoutofplace.tumblr.com/post/50195959524/i-just-found-this-quote-from-steven-moffat-about
My little sister reckons matt smith is better than david tennant but the episodes in the tennant era were better.
Reply 1456
Could easily sit next to Alex Kingston for a day and have her constantly say the word 'spoilers'. Only her can say it the way she does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1457
Seriously now come on, how perfect was Series 1 through to Series 2? And I enjoyed Series 3 a lot as well. Series 4 never let us down I don't think and Tennant's last stories are probably underrated if anything.
Original post by Jim-Jam
Seriously now come on, how perfect was Series 1 through to Series 2? And I enjoyed Series 3 a lot as well. Series 4 never let us down I don't think and Tennant's last stories are probably underrated if anything.

The order i have them in is 4, 2, 1 3, 7, 5, 6

Was half tempted to put 7 above 3 but the multi-part stories won the day.

For episodes the ones that stand out are (in no particular order)...

Nightmare in Silver
Asylum of the Daleks
Snowman
Pandorica
Byzantium
The Doctors Wife
End of time (all parts)
End of series 4 (all parts, standout for turn left)
Fires of Pompeii
The Master returns (all parts)
The girl in the Fireplace
Army of Ghosts
End of Series 1

Best multi-parter was the end of series 4, best individual episode was the girl in the fireplace.
(edited 10 years ago)
Turn Left is absolute classic sci-fi. As good as anything else you'll see on any other sci-fi show (pretty much at home on something like Star Trek, for example)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending