The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

I reckon its up on the edexcel website as "practical work mapping". :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 221
can someone please post some revision notes for green chemistry and the mechanism....i really don't get them:confused:.....your help would be much appreciated:smile:
Original post by khush1995
can someone please post some revision notes for green chemistry and the mechanism....i really don't get them:confused:.....your help would be much appreciated:smile:

What mechanism are you referring to? The one with free radicals and the ozone layer?
Do we really need to know the ozone mechanisms? Or do we just need to know how to balance?
Reply 224
My teacher suggested beginning with section B or C and ending with A, as if you run out of time you can guess section A but you can't guess section C. What do you all think?
Does anyone know how to study the thermal decomposition of group 1 and 2 nitrates? Do you heat up the metal nitrate, look for brown gas and stick and glowing splint in the test tube and it relights?
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Do we really need to know the ozone mechanisms? Or do we just need to know how to balance?

You really should know the mechanism. It's the same for chlorine free radicals and nitrogen monoxide free radicals.

Original post by Lgambo
My teacher suggested beginning with section B or C and ending with A, as if you run out of time you can guess section A but you can't guess section C. What do you all think?

You can't 'guess' section A, it's an objective test of your knowledge on a wide range of subjects. Personally, I would recommend just working through the paper, start to finish and skipping things if you get flustered.

Original post by Locked_box
Does anyone know how to study the thermal decomposition of group 1 and 2 nitrates? Do you heat up the metal nitrate, look for brown gas and stick and glowing splint in the test tube and it relights?

Yah - there are some other examples in the CGP revision guide if you have that?
Reply 227
Can somebody help me with calculations that is where I always loose marks
Reply 228
Original post by wbrian
Can somebody help me with calculations that is where I always loose marks

Can you be a little more specific please? Any particular calculations you're stuck with? :smile:
Reply 229
guys for group 2 chem
why cant Be react with water?
Reply 230
Original post by Priya08
guys for group 2 chem

Has an inert BeO layer (kind of like Aluminium)
Reply 231
Original post by Priya08
guys for group 2 chem

Well Beryllium doesn't react with water and there is just a thick oxide layer, laying on top of the surface of Be. The reactivity increases down the group.
Reply 232
For the flame test for Calcium, is the colour, yellow-red, brick red or just plain o' red?
[QUOTE=HarryMWilliams;

Yah - there are some other examples in the CGP revision guide if you have that?

I don't have the CGP revision guide :frown: but they way I mentioned before, is that alright?
Original post by Jayqwe
For the flame test for Calcium, is the colour, yellow-red, brick red or just plain o' red?

Use "Brick-Red" to be safe.
Reply 235
I am such an idiot I have 3 exams next week and I am not ready for any of them, wasted my time chatting to gals :frown: but I will try to cover Unit 2 Chemistry today and tomorrow wish me luck. I just need to focus really hard from now on. :angry:
Original post by Baraf
I am such an idiot I have 3 exams next week and I am not ready for any of them, wasted my time chatting to gals :frown: but I will try to cover Unit 2 Chemistry today and tomorrow wish me luck. I just need to focus really hard from now on. :angry:

We're here if you need encouragement for 6CH02. Go chemistry!
Reply 237
Original post by Mollymod
""

How did you find it?

ah it's okay, same here :biggrin: I don't quite know how to feel about leaving Sixth form though :redface: At least now I don't need to call into school explaining how ill I am (so I can revise at home) :tongue:

Good luck with Biology & German :biggrin: I am doing nothing but unit 2/unit 4 chemistry for the next week ! :smile:

For unit 1 I think it was the worst chemistry exam I've sat yet :frown: I was expecting questions like "what is an alkane" ... and I would gain easy UMS :tongue: I screwed up the reason for sodium carbonate use in cooking too believe it or not (do people use it to remove acid from their food?)... I realized afterwards it's the same thing as bicarbonate of soda :frown: :frown: Hess's law question - was unable to extract much information from their text... couldn't understand the question. The Question with Arsenic & Selenium confused me too as well as drawing cracking apparatus :tongue:

Oh well I must look forward to unit 2,4 & 5 now :smile: I quite literally need 84 UMS across all 3 of these exams.. to get my B ! This is proving so much more difficult than Physics & Maths where I need an A, and thanks to chemistry I have far less time for those 2 :frown:

& I think you'll be the boss at unit 5, hehe... best of luck with revision :biggrin:
Original post by posthumus
x

A friend of mine took the Unit 1 exam and found it quite hard. I had a look later and it seemed like one big attempt to be "different" by Edexcel.

When you say you need 84 UMS, is that in each exam? If so, I'm in the same position as you.
Reply 239
Original post by HarryMWilliams
A friend of mine took the Unit 1 exam and found it quite hard. I had a look later and it seemed like one big attempt to be "different" by Edexcel.

When you say you need 84 UMS, is that in each exam? If so, I'm in the same position as you.

Hopefully the grade boundaries will be quite low then :frown: I work so bloody hard towards chemistry exams and I've walked out of every single one in complete misery :tongue: I got well below 50 out of 80 last year in Jan... the only reason I got 88 UMS was due to the ridiculously low grade boundaries :smile:

Yup :biggrin: Basically I haven't made it any "easier" to get my B overall with my other exam, which is a shame really :tongue: Are you sitting Unit 4 as well as 2 & 5? If you don't mind myself asking :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending