The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
Looking forward to seeing what kind of meat Cambridge serves with its roast dinners? Whilst I highly doubt it would happen it would be amazing if they served something ridiculously posh like quail... :lol:

I suspect it will be entirely normal (unfortunately). My parents have been winding me up about that for ages. Whenever the topic of Cambridge comes up, they always start "When you're eating quail up at Cambridge."
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bananarama2
I suspect it will be entirely normal (unfortunately). My parents have been winding me up about that for ages :tongue:

Don't worry, you're not the only one. :lol: My parents find the idea of me wearing one of the gowns hilarious enough...
Reply 2682
Original post by DJMayes
Looking forward to seeing what kind of meat Cambridge serves with its roast dinners? Whilst I highly doubt it would happen it would be amazing if they served something ridiculously posh like quail... :lol:

Depends :tongue:

Normal meals it's fairly standard stuff :tongue:

But some of the formal food I've had, well, it's been a new experience :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes

Fairly normal, cooked to a varying degree of edibility. No quails while I was there (although a LOT of guinea fowl at special occasion dinners). It might be Cambridge but their catering budget for normal student grub isn't particularly high compared with elsewhere.

High table food at some colleges though... :coma:
Original post by DJMayes

I haven't had quail so far but I've had Guinea fowl, venison, Kobe beef, pheasant, and (IIRC) peacock. But only at special occasions or when the fellows didn't take a liking. :tongue:

Also lots of dressed crabs and even a lobster once upon a time.

Looking forward to what they serve up at graduation dinner though.

EDIT: Oh wait, yes I have had quail. In fact I'm surprised I forgot. :colonhash: It was served with its young in the form of eggs, which was something memorable to me at the time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CLS94
It may well have been, there seem to be so few of us compared to A-Level applicants that I doubt it would really have much impact on the overall figure.

Found it! Set the year to any that isn't 2013, get it to show offers and acceptances and then sort by course. All courses float about the 90% mark except for maths! Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any sort of tool to show IB specifically :tongue:

Original post by DJMayes
The food was fine, it was a light-hearted quip. The problem at Churchill was not the food, it's simply that I wasn't adventurous enough to try it. :lol:

Ah fair enough, I just saw it like you were making a joking reference to how awful Churchill's food is and I was getting quite confused, as it's not of course! Maybe not Pembroke standard but still good enough, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2686
Original post by CLS94
It may well have been, there seem to be so few of us compared to A-Level applicants that I doubt it would really have much impact on the overall figure. Although the exams are over now I've been stressed about meeting my 38 766 offer from King's, let alone the 40-42 most other colleges dish out!

Are you both IB? I am too. I've got an offer for 40 776! Lucky you with the 38! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2687
I suspect it will be entirely normal (unfortunately). My parents have been winding me up about that for ages. Whenever the topic of Cambridge comes up, they always start "When you're eating quail up at Cambridge."

Original post by DJMayes
Don't worry, you're not the only one. :lol: My parents find the idea of me wearing one of the gowns hilarious enough...

Yeah whenever I'm fussy at home my mum says 'well that's what your friends will be eating at Cambridge...' as if all my friends would be private school educated and go out shooting for dinner or something.
Hey! This is so exciting... Anyone with an offer from Newnham?
Mine is A*AAA for medicine, and I already have a 41 in the IB with 775 (chemistry biology psychology) in HL.
It's getting really stressful now cause I did all the A level sciences in 6 months!! Can't wait till the exams are over! :biggrin:
Reply 2689
Original post by CLS94
It may well have been, there seem to be so few of us compared to A-Level applicants that I doubt it would really have much impact on the overall figure. Although the exams are over now I've been stressed about meeting my 38 766 offer from King's, let alone the 40-42 most other colleges dish out!

Ah, I'm jealous XD

I thought you were referring to your insurance at first, because mine is 38 for King's College London :rolleyes:
And to listen to LOTF's accent... I'm intrigued :tongue:

If you're expecting something like this:

Spoiler

... you're in for a huge disappointment. :biggrin:
Original post by Lord of the Flies
If you're expecting something like this:

Spoiler

... you're in for a huge disappointment. :biggrin:

PRSOM hehehe :smile:

On another note, my dentist asked about Cambridge yesterday... THE PRESSURE :O
Original post by CLS94

Subject at King's? :smile: Natsci here, hopefully you'll meet your offer, sounds nice in comparison to others! :tongue:

Original post by _Georgie
Yeah we'll definitely have to have an event in freshers or something, to congratulate everyone there for getting through it (even if I'm not there...)! Could even open it up to TSRians in general :smile: Or maybe just mathmos and natscis...
Yeah I saw on Girton's website that we get to eat at Pembroke, Clare and Downing (I think) as if we belonged to that college - I guess because it'd be silly to have to go back to Girton for lunch.

I'll come along and then sit in silence through fear of opening my mouth and everyone realising I'm actually an idiot.
Reply 2693
Original post by Oromis263

I'll come along and then sit in silence through fear of opening my mouth and everyone realising I'm actually an idiot.

I'll sit in the corner in silence with you after I've already opened my mouth and made myself look an idiot, don't worry :wink:
If I actually get to Cambridge, I'm happy to accept that I may be the bottom of the class so I may as well embrace it...
Original post by LShirley95
Found it! Set the year to any that isn't 2013, get it to show offers and acceptances and then sort by course. All courses float about the 90% mark except for maths! Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any sort of tool to show IB specifically :tongue:

Thanks! That's actually rather interesting :smile:

Original post by Emmav123
Are you both IB? I am too. I've got an offer for 40 776! Lucky you with the 38! :-)
I am! Good luck meeting that! I know I am, so glad I applied to King's rather than anywhere else. I think Peterhouse do the same standard offer, but they are the only college not to offer my course and I probably would have preferred King's anyway! What college are you applying to?

[QUOTE="Oromis263;42847389"]Subject at King's? :smile: Natsci here, hopefully you'll meet your offer, sounds nice in comparison to others! :tongue:

HSPS :smile: Thanks! Do you have a conditional offer too? Might see you around come October with a bit of luck!
Original post by _Georgie
I'll sit in the corner in silence with you after I've already opened my mouth and made myself look an idiot, don't worry :wink:
If I actually get to Cambridge, I'm happy to accept that I may be the bottom of the class so I may as well embrace it...

Sounds good. Yeah, that's my plan to be honest.
Original post by CLS94

HSPS :smile: Thanks! Do you have a conditional offer too? Might see you around come October with a bit of luck!

Unconditional for Physical Natsci :smile: Yeah, hope so! :smile:
Reply 2697
Original post by Helenia
You don't have to have any experience of rowing beforehand to row as a novice for your college. And rowing is all about the legs, so don't worry about your arms!

I have an arm "impediment", do you think I could still try rowing then? :eek:
Original post by Etoile

You'd have to be limbless to be worse than me I reckon. But i'd love to give it a go, I could do with exercising and putting on muscle mass.
Original post by Etoile

Depends on the impediment, but it's probably worth going down to the boathouse for their Freshers' meet and giving it a try! You don't need any strength in your arms, really, as I've said, but you do need enough mobility and control to get the blade in and out of the water. There are ways and means...

Latest

Trending

Trending