The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by Daniel George
that would be nice?!

firstly I would talk about volcanic activity on a constructive margin (type of lava, characteristics and frequency) then talk about my case study nyrigongo 2002...hazards, previous impacts...

destructive margins " " " and then my etna " " " same structure as above...

but as a counter argument talk about other factors that increase volcanic hazards - population density, economic stability, level protection etc..

how would you do this question?

In a nutshell, I wouldnt :P

Seriously, wouldn't even bother. Structure is too complex for me
Original post by Axion
In a nutshell, I wouldnt :P

Seriously, wouldn't even bother. Structure is too complex for me

ah brah! I hope this question comes up now!
Reply 882
Original post by Daniel George
ah brah! I hope this question comes up now!

Lol it won't. Made it up off the top of my head :P
Reply 883
Original post by emah123
does anyone have an idea what might come up for the development or world cities essay??

someone said it may be sustainibility for D&G - i hope not though, hopefully it's on social/global/economic groupings or NICs and TNCs!
Original post by flower124
can anyone sum up oceanic circulation for me? I know dense hot currents from the equator travel up to the poles and warm the water/air there and less dense cool currents travel/sink down from the poles to the equator, and they're set in motion by the prevailing winds, i'm just not really sure about how they work and stuff, or is that essentially it? :smile:

Yeah you've got all the essential detail. Could also say that the ocean currents move in motions called "Gyres". In the northern hemisphere currents move clockwise and anticlockwise in southern. Also say that at the poles the oceanic belt sinks because the water has a higher salinity because when the sea ice freezes it cannot form with salt so it is left in the water causing the belt to sink as it becomes more dense. At the equator the belt rises as salinity decreases bringing warmer currents. The Gulf Stream brings warmer ocean currents to the UK, which also influences the jet stream and the weather we experience.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 885
Anyone got any tips on answering,
development, sustainability and biodiversity in topical biomes essays for ecosystems?
something about them not all being compatible together?
does anybody know where I could find some examples of completed tectonic 40-mark essays? We never did one in class and my teacher hasn't given us any examples or help..I am completely lost as to what they should look like, and the past papers/mark scheme aren't of much help since I've never actually seen a 40-mark written essay..
Reply 887
don't have one but what I do know is that i'm getting raped by the case studies
Reply 888
Original post by Axion
They are not interchangable. Etna is MEDC and Pinatubo is LEDC. There are lots of good LEDC volcanoes, but very few good MEDC ones :frown:

What about using the Iceland volcano? Eyjaffablablabla? I've seen a couple of decent case studies for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abismall
What about using the Iceland volcano? Eyjaffablablabla? I've seen a couple of decent case studies for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just repped you purely for that spelling haha!
Reply 890
Original post by joereed
thanks for the link, the only thing is though is that I do 2 physical topics, and 1 human, I therefore cant do a world cities essay. would it be essential for a short answer question?

This is what i was wondering, i had a look at all the June past papers on the AQA website and there seems to be a trend of asking about regeneration (came up twice) and retailing, however there is only 3 June papers on there, but i don't know whether this makes the chance of a 10 marker coming up more likely or less likely... I may be very unlucky and it may come up, also i had a look at the January ones and i don't think a 10 marker on waste management was on either, however in June 2012 there was a 7 and 8 marker on waste management and transport...
Is it true that you have to do one lot of the shorter answer questions on human geog and one lot on physical geog? It makes sense but my teachers have NEVER told me this! :frown:
Original post by rosiejohnston
Is it true that you have to do one lot of the shorter answer questions on human geog and one lot on physical geog? It makes sense but my teachers have NEVER told me this! :frown:

You have to answer 1 from section A (tectonics/weather) Physical
1 from section B (world cities/development) Human
1 from section C (the essays) Both physical and human

If you answer an essay question on a certain topic e.g tectonics, then you cannot answer the shorter questions on that same topic.
For example, if you answered the tectonics essay, you would then have to answer the weather and climate shorter questions in section A. Then choose which questions in section B.
Original post by Ellie_May :)
You have to answer 1 from section A (tectonics/weather) Physical
1 from section B (world cities/development) Human
1 from section C (the essays) Both physical and human

If you answer an essay question on a certain topic e.g tectonics, then you cannot answer the shorter questions on that same topic.
For example, if you answered the tectonics essay, you would then have to answer the weather and climate shorter questions in section A. Then choose which questions in section B.

Thank you! Yeah I knew you couldn't do the same topic for the essay if you had already answered that topic on the shorter questions but I thought we could do both the lots of shorter answer questions on human geog for example. It just shows that mocks are helpful! Out teachers never gave us one! Thanks for clarifying though :biggrin:
2 questions:
1. For 10 mark questions, how long would it take you to complete one?
2. How much would you write on a typical a4 notebook for a 10 mark question?

Iv just wrote an answer to one and it has taken me about 16 minutes and I have wrote 1 and a quarter pages. Should I be writing more or should I be taking less time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 895
Original post by sheldorofazaroth
2 questions:
1. For 10 mark questions, how long would it take you to complete one?
2. How much would you write on a typical a4 notebook for a 10 mark question?

Iv just wrote an answer to one and it has taken me about 16 minutes and I have wrote 1 and a quarter pages. Should I be writing more or should I be taking less time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 90 marks, you have 150 minutes

= 1.6 minutes per mark (or 96 seconds

Therefore 10 marks = 16 minutes :smile:

Takes me about the same and I write maybe 1 side
Original post by Axion
There are 90 marks, you have 150 minutes

= 1.6 minutes per mark (or 96 seconds

Therefore 10 marks = 16 minutes :smile:

Takes me about the same and I write maybe 1 side

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Khushaali
Anyone got any tips on answering,
development, sustainability and biodiversity in topical biomes essays for ecosystems?
something about them not all being compatible together?

well wouldn't you just argue that over development will decrease potential sustainability and minimize biodiversity? case studies would be like the over exploitation in the amazon and stuff?
Reply 898
Does anyone have any stuff on Mann whitney, spearmans rank or chi squared for Geog4a please :frown:?

Need some notes on em
Reply 899
could someone please explain Rossby waves to me?? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending