The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Physics is a whole different ball game, honest truth is you can't win. I study both and I'm predicted A's for both in June, (half way there as already got A's in January modules). I would strongly advise against physics as truth is the exams for most boards are different from anything else.. But then again it is much more exiting and thrilling than Maths at a level..
I take maths a level and its hard but providing you stay on top of your work you should be fine. From talking to other people in my year of probably say maths was the easier option. However it completely depends on your ability in those subjects. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Physics x10000. The thing is, you can understand both perfectly well, but with maths, the questions will always basically be the same. In physics they throw in a curveball that knocks you for 6 and screws up your answer, plus there's far more content to physics (towards the end), as maths is synoptic.
Physics is harder- in some ways I'd say Physics is harder than Further Maths! I'd also say Maths is more versatile career-wise. Both are pretty difficult but that's kind of why they're also both respected but it also depends on what other subjects you're planning on taking.
I do both and I would say Physics is a fair bit harder but much more enjoyable to learn. Whilst Maths is still tough by all means, the kind of questions require a lot more application and varied thinking in my opinion. I'm going to die taking Physics at uni :rolleyes:
I'm not even gonna lie, I did Physics at AS and was able to drop it as soon as possible, ended up with a D at AS but my teacher wasn't brilliant so it was more a self-study. Maths I found easy, I should have my A overall come results day (based on Arsey's predictions), but maths is just following a set of rules. With Physics, you're forced to think hard.
Proportionally in my school much more people fail physics and everyone on here seems to think Physics is harder. But we do have to take into account that infact generally in the UK there is definitely a shortage of physics teachers. I mean our school only has about 2 - really struggling to find any. And so generally physics is poorly taught, I know our year had horrendous physics teachers throughout my education and this probably lead to me not choosing physics at AS and now I am regretting that decision strongly.
Reply 8
AS maths is easy and doable - if you put the work in. Personally the step up from GCSE to AS maths isn't THAT big. If you're looking for a challenge, then choose physics, however... seeing as you're looking for a fourth A Level, you'll have lots of work/revision, I'd opt for maths :biggrin:
Physics is certainly tough when it is wordly and apply to scenerios but more calculation actually makes it easier. However if you want to do well you will #motivation
Reply 10
I found Physics harder to understand than Maths at AS. I got an A in Maths and AA in double science at GCSE btw.
At AS level, Maths is easier, but at A2 its Physics, IMO. However I'm still an AS student and haven't covered all A2 topics yet.

Physics is definitely more enjoyable though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
M1 physics is a real kick to the system and is such a massive step up from GCSE. For the first time, you can't easily visualise how the theory connects to the numbers, which severly dents your confidience. Also, about 30% of it is standard form, graphs and unit conversion, which I found very mentally draining.
Maths-wise, C1 is essentially high level GCSE algerbra and C2 is pretty straightforward, with the possible exception of logarithms. I would go with maths, but be very careful with the side modules; they can drag your grades down considerably.
I personally think Physics at A-level is slightly harder, but that's because I feel that it's easier to draw marks because of things like awkward explanations on 'explain' type questions, whereas with Maths it's usually obvious what you need to do/ you have a good idea of whether you're right or not.

Maths I think though is more enjoyable purely because I have to put less effort into it :L Having said that though, A-level physics isn't really that enjoyable tbh...don't get me wrong, I love physics, but the course just seems way too disjointed because of the lack of maths which makes it more awkward to try and grasp where some things come from.
Reply 14
Reply 15
Am I the only one who found physics easier? I do both maths and physics at A2 (AQA). I think at AS they were about the same, but for me at least, maths got quite a bit harder at A2 (well, I mean it’s still fine as long as you understand it), but physics didn’t seem to get harder… if anything I’d say it got easier XD but maybe that’s just me… one thing to not, is that in our school we did PHY2 before PHY1, I think that made the jump from GCSE to A level wayyy easier.
Original post by Widgity
Am I the only one who found physics easier? I do both maths and physics at A2 (AQA). I think at AS they were about the same, but for me at least, maths got quite a bit harder at A2 (well, I mean it’s still fine as long as you understand it), but physics didn’t seem to get harder… if anything I’d say it got easier XD but maybe that’s just me… one thing to not, is that in our school we did PHY2 before PHY1, I think that made the jump from GCSE to A level wayyy easier.

i also did Unit 2 before Unit 1... but trust me Maths is easier in terms of being awarded all the marks.
Reply 17
C1-C4 easiest if you practice

the applied modules are hard
Reply 18
Original post by booooomblastruin
M1 physics is a real kick to the system and is such a massive step up from GCSE. For the first time, you can't easily visualise how the theory connects to the numbers, which severly dents your confidience. Also, about 30% of it is standard form, graphs and unit conversion, which I found very mentally draining.
Maths-wise, C1 is essentially high level GCSE algerbra and C2 is pretty straightforward, with the possible exception of logarithms. I would go with maths, but be very careful with the side modules; they can drag your grades down considerably.

Thread should have stopped here.

This is pretty much what you should base your decision on. Find out which applied modules your school does for maths, and try them before you even decide upon maths. If you feel you can do them, you're good to go, maths isn't an issue if you just do the work. (Made my mistake there, got slaughtered by my S1 on Friday after doing just fine in C1 and C2.)

Physics though....physics exams require a higher level of understanding, to be able to imagine the situation as vividly as if it was in front of you, and the ability to decode the obscured, almost hidden meaning behind the language they use. Fine, I made it sound more dramatic than it is, but when you see it, you'll know where I'm coming from xD
I find Maths easier than Physics but i do Further Maths so that could be why :smile:

Latest