The Student Room Group

RVC Gateway offers and reviews!

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say we haven't reached our full potential because we are going onto the gateway programme. I think if your always trying to improve youself you never reach you full potential. It sounds like your saying people who get straight into veterinary have reached there full potential, which isnt true. I went from school to a college course and from there I realised my potential and decided to go for a veterinary degree but due to not doing exams for 2 years I decided the gateway suited me better and will alow me to build all my skills so I can get better grades while at university. So I dont think we 'havnt reached out full potential', we actually have to try harder as there are less places and have come through complicated routes and I think it will make me a better vet at the end of the course as I have had to constantly fight for my place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by CharlotteNorman
I wouldn't say we haven't reached our full potential because we are going onto the gateway programme. I think if your always trying to improve youself you never reach you full potential. It sounds like your saying people who get straight into veterinary have reached there full potential, which isnt true. I went from school to a college course and from there I realised my potential and decided to go for a veterinary degree but due to not doing exams for 2 years I decided the gateway suited me better and will alow me to build all my skills so I can get better grades while at university. So I dont think we 'havnt reached out full potential', we actually have to try harder as there are less places and have come through complicated routes and I think it will make me a better vet at the end of the course as I have had to constantly fight for my place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amen to that! I also don't think that people realise how difficult it is to get into a non-traditional course and all of the effort that goes into proving yourself as a worthy vet school candidate...
Reply 42

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't saying any of you haven't, I just read that it's for students who haven't for reasons like they didn't have a proper chemistry teacher etc so they couldn't get the grades.
It's just I stress out in my exams and make silly mistakes, so I'm not getting the grades, but I know I have the potential to be a Vet. And to be honest, if I had the option to do the gateway or straight into VetMed, I'd choose the gateway. Most people seem to get A's from memorising, but I hear the gateway offers help to develop your skills in retaining and understanding the information.
I just don't want them to ask why I didn't get the grades and for me to say I stressed out too much, which is true, but doesn't sound very good for a person wanting to be a Vet.

Sorry if I offended you, I didn't seem to get my point across the right way.

Any veterinary-related course seems to be terribly hard to get on to.
I was the same in my AS levels and it sounds like I felt exactky the same, I changed to do the Animal Management as it didnt invikve exams and im doing gateway so I can gain the skills to suceed at exams! What year are you in? Could that be an option?
Also if you have plenty (10+) weeks work experience it gives you an edhe and shows your determination. I think if you are able to prove your determination and dedication to get there and suceed once in the course, the vet schools want to take you on, they want to know your up for the challange.

I hope you find something that works for you, just dont give up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
At GCSE I got mostly all As and Bs and got all the recruited grades etc. at A level I ended up with BCC because I didn't do all that well in my last set of exams, I was hoping for higher really.
Liberty. My reasons were the teaching at my sixth form - my bio and chemistry teachers were off a lot and didn't cover the whole course etc.
Reply 45
Original post by pandatree
At GCSE I got mostly all As and Bs and got all the recruited grades etc. at A level I ended up with BCC because I didn't do all that well in my last set of exams, I was hoping for higher really.
Liberty. My reasons were the teaching at my sixth form - my bio and chemistry teachers were off a lot and didn't cover the whole course etc.

It's annoying because I did well in GCSE, but A Level is so much harder :L I got 5 A*'s, 5 A's and 1 B. But in my Jan results I got BCDD :frown:
I just finished all my retake exams, and they went much better, but I'm not sure by how much...
The only thing about my teachers that bugs me is one of my Biology teachers are constantly off, skips over immunity and the nitty-gritty stuff and only has a teaching style that would suit younger years (posters etc). Plus my Maths teacher seems to be against helping people :tongue:
But it feels like I'm just making up excuses, although they are the reasons I'm struggling with some parts of the courses.

Thank you for telling me by the way :smile:
Reply 46
I missed the open day at RVC so I didn't get a chance to ask any questions :frown: I was just wondering how many places they offer on the gateway course? And how much work experience everyone has done? :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by Amy56
I missed the open day at RVC so I didn't get a chance to ask any questions :frown: I was just wondering how many places they offer on the gateway course? And how much work experience everyone has done? :smile:

isn't it usually 120 interviews depending on number of applicants and not entirely sure but, think they offer around 40- 50 places?? and then doesn't it usually end up being around 30- 35 people who are actually on the course in september? that's what i heard when i was applying anyway- feel free to correct me peeps :smile:
Original post by TangoD
isn't it usually 120 interviews depending on number of applicants and not entirely sure but, think they offer around 40- 50 places?? and then doesn't it usually end up being around 30- 35 people who are actually on the course in september? that's what i heard when i was applying anyway- feel free to correct me peeps :smile:

I thought they gave out 30-35 conditional offers, not that many people getting on the course in September. :smile:
Reply 49
I was the same in my AS levels and it sounds like I felt exactky the same, I changed to do the Animal Management as it didnt invikve exams and im doing gateway so I can gain the skills to suceed at exams! What year are you in? Could that be an option?
Also if you have plenty (10+) weeks work experience it gives you an edhe and shows your determination. I think if you are able to prove your determination and dedication to get there and suceed once in the course, the vet schools want to take you on, they want to know your up for the challange.

I hope you find something that works for you, just dont give up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing animal management too at the moment, but at my college they only teach for 4 out of the 5 units that are stated in the entry requirements for gateway:frown: At your college did you do all the required units they mentioned on the website entry requirements?
Reply 50
hope everyone got what they wanted today, i'll hopefully be meeting some of you in september at RVC :smile:
Reply 51
woo :smile: off to RVC for the veterinary gateway! anyone else?
Original post by char.p
woo :smile: off to RVC for the veterinary gateway! anyone else?

Yes, me too!! What accommodation are you in?:smile:
Reply 53
Original post by laurenpincombe
Yes, me too!! What accommodation are you in?:smile:
Mary Brackner :smile: which one for you?
Original post by char.p
Mary Brackner :smile: which one for you?

Mary brackner too! I haven't heard anything from then yet though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Yay! I got an email through with the info pack attached to it and should get it posted soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I got that too! Can't wait for information from accommodation about rooms and stuff! So happy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
i got into college grove for accommodation, anyone else?? :smile:
Have any of you done the BTEC Animal Management and got into the Gateway Programme?
I didn't no, I did A-levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending