The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brittanna
It still won't let me rep you, and I still owe you some rep from the other question you helped me with! I will get it all done eventually though :biggrin:.

Don't worry about it - if I wanted rep I have a formula for obtaining it anyway:

1 - Visit relationships forum
2 - post something insulting/controversial
3 - ???
4 - Profit! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42816054#post42816054

Original post by reubenkinara
Hello.
I was quite surprised to discover that a few of the international A level maths papers were easier than the British composites. I'd assumed that it'd be double the difficulty :biggrin:

Oh no, not the whole Maths - Race debate again. This reminds me of my Cambridge interview. I was waiting for my second interview, when a Chinese girl walked in, and came and sat in the group of people where I was sitting. She asked who else was applying for Maths, and I was the only one there. She then asked me if I'd seen any other Chinese Maths applicants. I thought she felt awkward as an international amongst the home students, so I responded with "I haven't seen any, but don't worry, the rest of us don't bite" at which point she replied with "No, it's not that - we Chinese are very good at Math(s) and I want to know how much competition I have".

(I don't know which I hope for more - her not getting in (which would wipe the smugness off her face) or her getting in and meeting LotF (which would wipe the smugness off her face in a place where I could see it))
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
Don't worry about it - if I wanted rep I have a formula for obtaining it anyway:

3 - ???
4 - Profit! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42816054#post42816054

Oh no, not the whole Maths - Race debate again. This reminds me of my Cambridge interview. I was waiting for my second interview, when a Chinese girl walked in, and came and sat in the group of people where I was sitting. She asked who else was applying for Maths, and I was the only one there. She then asked me if I'd seen any other Chinese Maths applicants. I thought she felt awkward as an international amongst the home students, so I responded with "I haven't seen any, but don't worry, the rest of us don't bite" at which point she replied with "No, it's not that - we Chinese are very good at Math(s) and I want to know how much competition I have".

(I don't know which I hope for more - her not getting in (which would wipe the smugness off her face or her getting in and meeting LotF (which would wipe the smugness off her face in a place where I could see it))

Interesting anecdote :biggrin:. I agree, the latter (her meeting Lotf) would probably be more satisfying.
I appreciate that there will be people in Britain who are pretty good @ math but in terms of the average, wouldn't you say that that certain other countries have more rigorous maths syllabi? Isn't that why Gove is trying to reform things?

Something maths related: In regards to my question yesterday, what modules of Alevel maths would it require?
Original post by DJMayes

3 - ???

(I don't know which I hope for more - her not getting in (which would wipe the smugness off her face) or her getting in and meeting LotF (which would wipe the smugness off her face in a place where I could see it))

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What if she is that good?:eek:
Reply 4263
M2 June 2005 paper, Q5 part b), I got it wrong and can't understand how on the mark scheme they get x= -2/7 u. Please help, link here for the paper and mark scheme http://mathspapers.co.uk/edexcel.html :smile:
Hello.
I was quite surprised to discover that a few of the international A level maths papers were easier than the British composites. I'd assumed that it'd be double the difficulty :biggrin:

Which ones? Very few (if any) are going to be that much harder, I think you're overrating the difficulty of most international syllabuses here.
Original post by justinawe
Which ones? Very few (if any) are going to be that much harder, I think you're overrating the difficulty of most international syllabuses here.

Perhaps... I was just basing it on transfers I met from other countries.
Perhaps... I was just basing it on transfers I met from other countries.

We had an exchange student come to my 6th form for 5 months from Czech Slovakia or however its spelt where they already covered what we consider A level Maths in what is equivalent to our GCSE years! She was literally going to the lesson and walking out 5 minutes later as she already knew it all! :eek: I also showed her my amount of work and it only took her a week to get to grips with it before being able to attempt all the questions, damn how I wish I was that smart!

I thought international M1 and international C2 were easier than UK M1 and C2
Original post by DJMayes

A Chinese national? Went all the way to the UK for an interview? :curious:

I know tons of people of Chinese ethnicity, none of them are like that, fortunately :lol: that's actually kind of racist, to dismiss other competitors on the grounds of them not being Chinese :redface:
Original post by MathsNerd1
We had an exchange student come to my 6th form for 5 months from Czech Slovakia or however its spelt where they already covered what we consider A level Maths in what is equivalent to our GCSE years! She was literally going to the lesson and walking out 5 minutes later as she already knew it all! :eek: I also showed her my amount of work and it only took her a week to get to grips with it before being able to attempt all the questions, damn how I wish I was that smart!

[h="3"]Czechoslovakia*. Yep, I've had quite a few similar experiences! [/h]
Original post by Robbie242
I thought international M1 and international C2 were easier than UK M1 and C2

We're not talking about that :tongue: that's technically still UK syllabus, as it's by a UK-based board (edexcel).

Something like Singapore or Hong Kong A-Levels is more of what we're getting at.
(edited 10 years ago)
We're not talking about that :tongue: that's technically still UK syllabus, as it's by a UK-based board (edexcel).

Something like Singapore or Hong Kong A-Levels is more of what we're getting at.

Oh I see, yeah I have noticed that a few of my friends abroad (apart from America) have generally harder maths than us at times
Reply 4272
Original post by JenniS
M2 June 2005 paper, Q5 part b), I got it wrong and can't understand how on the mark scheme they get x= -2/7 u. Please help, link here for the paper and mark scheme http://mathspapers.co.uk/edexcel.html :smile:

What's wrong with it? I just did it and got the same. Post up your method and I can see where you've gone wrong. :smile:
Czechoslovakia*. Yep, I've had quite a few similar experiences!

That's the one and yeah, I still wasn't going to let her beat me so I got introduced into what her syllabus covers and it had stuff like Number Theory and Group Theory and so on, it was quite an eye opener! :eek:
Original post by Robbie242
Oh I see, yeah I have noticed that a few of my friends abroad (apart from America) have generally harder maths than us at times

America :teehee:

I think the difficulty level of maths in America varies a lot depending on what classes you take, whereas for the UK it's quite standardised. The more adequate mathematicians can take up more challenging courses if they so desire iirc. Like "college-level classes in high school" or whatever :tongue:
Original post by MathsNerd1
That's the one and yeah, I still wasn't going to let her beat me so I got introduced into what her syllabus covers and it had stuff like Number Theory and Group Theory and so on, it was quite an eye opener! :eek:

Yep, where I used to live: Trinidad seems to cover more stuff on their pure maths and applied maths sylabi which is not to say the sylabi are that much harder.

I think the difficulty level of maths in America varies a lot depending on what classes you take, whereas for the UK it's quite standardised. The more adequate mathematicians can take up more challenging courses if they so desire iirc. Like "college-level classes in high school" or whatever :tongue:

or AP maths. Additionally, I think they have better systems in place for gifted students. I.e students at 12 learning calc.
or AP maths. Additionally, I think they have better systems in place for gifted students. I.e students at 12 learning calc.

Nah, APs are generally easier than UK A-Levels. Definitely not enough to challenge the more talented kids.

I agree that gifted students have far more flexibility there, though. Seems to be much more of a learn at your own pace kind of thing, which I quite like.
Yep, where I used to live: Trinidad seems to cover more stuff on their pure maths and applied maths sylabi which is not to say the sylabi are that much harder.

Fair enough then, I would love to travel abroad and see how the curriculum would differ, also if I just stayed in Canada I'm curious to see if it would be anymore rigorous than the UK's.

Yeah I agree, I think alevels are definitely better than the AP. I looked at an AP econ1 video and all they wanted you to know was supply/demand elasticity and market failure (I think) It was also bunged full of multiple choice :teehee:

Latest

Trending

Trending