The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QuantumSuicide
why don't you include the methyl group in naming the alkene??

Posted from TSR Mobile

theres no methyl group on that structure, all the carbons are part of the longest chain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Didn't even need to go a cycle, did you use a enthalpy cycle to wok it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, the one i told you was on page 27 :smile: makes more sense to me if I draw it out, but some people can do it without :smile:
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Is there anybody than can never do the enthalpy questions, drawing alcohols, mechanisms, all those equations and guessing the compound from a spectrum? How do you retain all of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you get stuck on mate?
Reply 683
Can anyone help me?
On the January 2010 paper, Q6g, why was E propan-2-ol and not propan-1-ol?
Reply 684
cn someone help me with Chemica Equilibrium ON PAGE 210-213 IN THE OCR BOOK, THANKS (I DONT UNDERSTAND ANY OF IT) E.G. INCREASING PRESSURE AND TEMPRATURE....
Original post by Gotzz
Can anyone help me?

Infared shows a ketone is present, propan-2-ol is a secondary alcohol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gotzz
Can anyone help me?

if it was propan-1-ol it would have oxidised to a carboxylic acid. the infrared spectrum only shows a peak for a c=o bond, no o-h bond so it would have been a ketone, which can only be made by the oxidation of a secondary alcohol.
Reply 687
Infared shows a ketone is present, propan-2-ol is a secondary alcohol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I see now, thanks.
Reply 688
Original post by needtosucceed=)
if it was propan-1-ol it would have oxidised to a carboxylic acid. the infrared spectrum only shows a peak for a c=o bond, no o-h bond so it would have been a ketone, which can only be made by the oxidation of a secondary alcohol.

Someone already explained it, but thanks anyway :smile:
Do you use a zymase enzyme for fermentation production of ethanol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you use a zymase enzyme for fermentation production of ethanol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeast enzyme
30-40c
Anaerobic conditions

Produces 2 carbon dioxide and 2 ethanols
can someone please help with jan 11 question 6iii
why is the answer c2h5+ and not cho-
Reply 692
Around what mark in this paper is an A
Original post by Sara_A
Around what mark in this paper is an A

80ish
What's roughly 135-140ums as raw marks in this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 695
Ums divide by 1.5 = rough raw marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 696
Original post by zoep23
Im not really sure what you mean about hess' law pathways, just remember that if you are dealing with values for enthalpy of formation, write the reaction across top, and then draw an 'elements' box below, draw arrows from this box to both the reactants and products, the arrows will represent the enthalpy of formation of whatever the arrow is pointing to.
e.g take
CH4+H20->CO+3H2

Elementswnn

drawing arrows from the elements to reactants and products, if its combustion values its the opposite, and the arrows face downwards towards the combustion products.
if you don't get my explanation then ocr purple book page 201 has a little blue box explaining it :smile:

Thanks so much it all makes sense..so all I'm doing is drawing two arrows..up when its formation and down when its combustion. Thanks
Have a feeling that there will be a long answer question on green chemistry :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sure hope there isn't. Hate that stuff. Mechanisms on the other hand! Or even esters!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ReginaPhalange29
I sure hope there isn't. Hate that stuff. Mechanisms on the other hand! Or even esters!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I love all the mechanism stuff, hopefully its similar to the Jan 13 paper :wink: for the green chemistry side,they could ask something on the lines of compare fermentation and hydration of ethanol in terms of sustainability or something, hopefully it doesn't come up :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending