The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenan and Kel
He won the ballon d'or in 2010 because he was the best player in 2010. Simple as that.

Tbh that should have gone to diego milito or wesley sneijder but they just thought they'd give it to messi because it sounds better.
Ronaldo wasn't even that great in 2009-2010, plus for the balon d'or they use the previous season than the actual calender year I swear.
Original post by jam277
Tbh that should have gone to diego milito or wesley sneijder but they just thought they'd give it to messi because it sounds better.
Ronaldo wasn't even that great in 2009-2010, plus for the balon d'or they use the previous season than the actual calender year I swear.

It's an individual award though. Sneijder had a good year but Messi was out of this world that year. Traditionally the Ballon d'Or has been given to players who've achieved the most with their teams i.e. won the World Cup or the CL, not necessarily those who have performed the best, which is ridiculous as like I say it's an individual award. Messi got it in 2010 because he has a better marketing hype around him which won him votes in all the smaller countries. He was actually a worthy winner anyway though because he had the best year.

Cannavaro in 2006, Ronaldo in 2002 and Henry not getting it in 2004 are the main cases in point of the award being given based on either marketing hype or team achievement.
Oooh initial contact for Fabregas...
Reply 4643
Still can't see it happening. Fabregas has too much of an attachment to Barcelona.

Thiago or Fellaini is more plausible.

P.s. - Fabregas has supposedly said no.
(edited 10 years ago)
Where's this initial fabregas contact link?
Reply 4645
Original post by retirement
Where's this initial fabregas contact link?

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/209491.html
Reply 4647
Arsenal also have first refusal and a 50% sell-on clause. Not going to happen.
Clever from ESPN. Sensationalising the story to get more hits on their website. No chance Cesc will join United.
Espn pretty reliable source though
Reply 4650
Fabregas plays in the same position as Rooney and Kagawa, and I don't think buying ANOTHER player for AM will ease that problem, unless we're just planning to line everyone up down the middle.

Thiago makes much more sense, plays central midfield and could partner Carrick comfortably. And he's very cheap, unlike Cesc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Fabregas can play in a two man midfield no problem, Barca just never use him there. I still think his best position is where Xavi plays.
Reply 4652
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Fabregas can play in a two man midfield no problem, Barca just never use him there. I still think his best position is where Xavi plays.

Fabregas has been playing that more attacking role from midfield for years though, going all the way back to his later seasons at Arsenal. He's gotten even further up the pitch over the last few years as well, playing as a false nine often. I don't doubt he could still play further back, but when you weigh that up against Thiago, who seems more suited to that position (and is very good there), I think I'd take the latter. Not to mention the price difference!
We need to buy Mids for the sale of numbers too so let's bloody hope these rumours are true
Reply 4654
Original post by xDave-
Fabregas plays in the same position as Rooney and Kagawa, and I don't think buying ANOTHER player for AM will ease that problem, unless we're just planning to line everyone up down the middle.

Thiago makes much more sense, plays central midfield and could partner Carrick comfortably. And he's very cheap, unlike Cesc.

Wrong Cesc plays in the middle of the park as a CM not a CAM, Barcelona play him out of his favoured position.. But I do know what you mean.. He is attacking minded. Fabregas is a better signing that thiago because fabregas is proven world talent that has huge amounts PL experience unlike thiago it's too much of a risk..and not just PL experience the boy has done a lot for his age.. We could easily afford febregas and only 26.. With him and fellaini we would have a beast of a midfield.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xDave-
Fabregas has been playing that more attacking role from midfield for years though, going all the way back to his later seasons at Arsenal. He's gotten even further up the pitch over the last few years as well, playing as a false nine often. I don't doubt he could still play further back, but when you weigh that up against Thiago, who seems more suited to that position (and is very good there), I think I'd take the latter. Not to mention the price difference!

I don't think a Fabregas deal would be possible, with all these complications in his contract. Could see a situation where we signed Thiago on a 4 year contract for £15 million. And him returning to Barcelona after three years for £25 million :colonhash:

I'd take that.
Re: Fabregas, Part of the deal that took him to barca was that arsenal have a buy back clause of what Barca paid for him (£30m) and we have first refusal. If Barca decided to sell Fabregas they would have to offer him to Arsenal first for £30m, the agreed buy back price. If arsenal refused the opportunity to meet that price then other clubs can bid for him according to barca's valuation. The whole reason these clauses were put in is so Fabregas could return to arsenal with ease if it didn't work out at barca.

I highly doubt he would go to Man U, he already stated that he'll only ever play for Arsenal or Barca. I doubt Barca would sell this summer maybe next summer or Jan 2015 depending on what his performances are like but if the barca decided to sell this summer Arsenal would buy him back straight away.
"Hey Barca we want to buy Thiago, here is the fee, now it's down to the player ad what you say to him"

"Hey Barca, if you don' help us sign Thiago, we'll push to sign Fabregas which means either Arsenal come in and get him, or we get him and Arsenal get half the fee anyway"

Is basically, if it's all true which i doubt anyway, how i see it going down.
As long as we get one of the Barcelona boys, it'll be the best Summer transfer period since, last Summer. But if last Summer didn't exist, it'd be the best for damn long time.

I'm keeping high hopes for Thiago Alcantara.
I'd say Thiago is a more of a realistic possibility than Cesc but hell, wouldn't say no to either of them.

But I imagine Arsenal have alot to say on the matter and Wenger has said he will spend (again) and maybe with those funds he could re-sign Cesc and bring back some experience and leadership to the side?

Latest