The Student Room Group

Goodbye to The Student Room - J signs off

Hi there
It's a long time since I knew the regular posters in the TSR About forum (TSR News, Help and Feedback as it is now), we used to enjoy such looooong post exchanges :biggrin:

I suspect Musicbloke is now a political prisoner, as I type I like to imagine him planning poker with Julian Assange. Vector? Surely he's now running Microsoft. PQ you are still about occasionally hopefully you see this message :smile:

*blows on virtual conch shell to summon mods and members from years gone by*

hawaii_native_local_man_at_ocean_blowing_conch_shell_with_shell_haku_10067-02302-26.jpg

Spoiler

La trampa
wesetters
Agent smith
musicbloke
Ana
F1 Fanatic
Juno
oxymoronic
PQ
DaveO
vector
nota bene
generalebriety
insparato
samba
Trigger
estel
pig
ziggy stardust
profesh
bexxxx
Acaila
Dalimyr
=nuke=
brimstone
nefarious
bismark
Mustard-man
Jonah Ramone
SilverWings
CJ
Juwel
randdom
BlackHawk
RK
fleur de lis
ice cube
jangrafess
tis_me_lord
Philosoraptor
Cortez
Fleffzilla
Schmokie Dragon
Clubber Lang
blissy
Sidhe
D

Fluent in Lies
andy_cole2
Segat1
bluenoxid
mute
dan
Craghyrax
Mr T
Charl
*Mike*
LPK
lessthanthree
ChrisN

I wanted to let the old timers and any interested n00bs know that sadly my time at TSR has come to an end and this week will be my last!

I've been working to grow The Student Room for the past 6 and a bit years. It was very different place back then.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/TSR_through_the_ages

I’m really proud how I've helped move the community forward and have spread the word about how useful and fun TSR is. Today on The Student Room more students than ever benefit from talking with each other about their exam preparation, their choices, about life challenges. They get support that they can't get anywhere else and they make good friendships - this makes me happy.

When I joined TSR as ‘Director of The Student Room’ it received about 600,000 unique visits a month, these days it gets 6 million. When I joined 3 people worked behind the scenes here, now 50 people do.

These early posts seem a loooong time ago:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?u=84121&userid=84121&pagenumber=159&filter[userid]=84121&sortby=date+asc
(my first post actually got me a warning)

There was the infamous Pig drama:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8483282

I forget who it was that coordinated the petition to get rid of me? Clearly some 'inbed numbskull' - joke! Ahem :vroam:

Even though things clearly didn't always go smoothly :jfault: I want to say thanks to all you lot for making this a dream job for many years and for making the community what it is today.

Whilst I still have lots of ideas for taking the site forward we now have a whole team focused on it and it feels the right time for me to find a new passion. I have no doubt that TSR will go from strength to strength. :tsr:

Bye for now
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bye bro
See ya.
Reply 3
a'ight.
Thanks for all the contributions you have made to this site , J, we will miss you alot!
Reply 5
Good luck
Reply 6
Aw thanks J! Bye!
Damn, J,sorry to hear you're leaving TSR! :frown: I hope everything goes well for you in whatever you've got planned next, though :biggrin: Unless it's world domination under the banner of jiggly boobies...

It was a pleasure to work with you :yes: :jfault:
Reply 8
J
OP
In breaking news students across the world hold candlelight vigil (It's dark in the southern hemisphere now right)

candlelight-vigil.jpg

One TSR member is quoted as saying

RK
OMG this is worse than when Diana died :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Goodbye J, and good luck for the future!
Reply 10
I've never heard of you before, but in the brief moments it took to read that post, I think I fell deeply in love with you on several levels. Goodbye sir.
I did not know you, on TSR,
but I assume what you've done,
has taken it far,

Beyond the rocky bed of sand,
into a place much more grand,
not smashing ships,
nor passing quips,
unreported, unaborted
children we are
so let's rejoice
farewell J, my dear, it is your choice

and to your future,
i raise my glass
and to your past
i give a toast
may you reap what you have sown
may you never cry or groan
may the hearts you filled
fill yours back
may the time you killed
never lack
to bring you fortune
and happiness

farewell J, and God bless
Reply 12
I'm glad you stayed 6 years and that i didn't scare you with my talk of Jeremy Kyle! Thanks for all your hard work

:u::h::^_^::adore::ashamed2::awesome::bandit::beard::blushing::clap2::ciao::congrats::creep::cry2::crossedf::cyber::dontknow:
Alright, see you in a few weeks :yawn:
Original post by J
In breaking news students across the world hold candlelight vigil (It's dark in the southern hemisphere now right)

candlelight-vigil.jpg

One TSR member is quoted as saying

Hahah I'm actually honoured to have been quoted haha.
How did you choose who to quote? Anybody who has been a member for ages - or was this from memory?

What are you heading to do now?

My results are out today as to whether I've passed my final year. So my time here as a student is probably ending too :biggrin:
Reply 15
You'll be back.
Original post by J
Hi there
It's a long time since I knew the regular posters in the TSR About forum (TSR News, Help and Feedback as it is now), we used to enjoy such looooong post exchanges :biggrin:

I suspect Musicbloke is now a political prisoner, as I type I like to imagine him planning poker with Julian Assange. Vector? Surely he's now running Microsoft. PQ you are still about occasionally hopefully you see this message :smile:

*blows on virtual conch shell to summon mods and members from years gone by*

Blimey a namecheck and a quote - people will talk :ninjagirl:

oh hang on a minute...
(my first post actually got me a warning)
was that me? #triggerhappy

Good luck in your new job - hope it isn't a russian online dating site?
Reply 17
J
OP
Original post by PQ
Good luck in your new job - hope it isn't a russian online dating site?

Russians deserve to find love too
J, I'm sure those early days were pretty tough for you, and TSR has seen very many changes that lots of people haven't been pleased with over the past few years (taking away my flashing gems :shakecane:). But having worked with you, I know the effort you put into this site has been enormous and I hope you feel you've been rewarded in equal measure for it. It truly was an honour to work alongside you, and to get to know you, and I wish you all the best for the future. Onwards and upwards! :ahee:
He's finally heading off to become the 007 he was born to be. :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending