The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mynameisntbobk

thanks a lot! so gv me a question related to this section to test if i understood...if it's possible!!:smile::tongue:
Original post by Daniel Atieh
thanks a lot! so gv me a question related to this section to test if i understood...if it's possible!!:smile::tongue:

sure.

a CF sufferer has found out that the only hope for his survival is the use of stem cells to code for the CFTR protein, however, he is very apprehensive and reluctant to undergo such treatment even though the doctor has explained to him all the cons about this type of research..

Explain one of the points the doctor has told the patient.. (2 marks)
Give 2 reasons why the patient is reluctant to take part in stem cell research. (2 marks)

Why must stem cell research be closely regulated? (3 marks)

What are the risks associated with the surgery the patient must undergo? (3 marks)

I tried to make it exam styled.. sorry if it's not exactly the best thing ever
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 542
Hey guys, i've made a revision resource from loads of different books including the "Edexcel AS Biology revision guide for snab and conept led approaches " by pearson, and the CGP guide, the green chunky new textbook and assasins notes, and some stuff i found from get revising too .

if i upload it, could u guys check it for any inaccuracies?

it is quite long, but i think it covers the whole syllabus.
Reply 543
Original post by Daniel Atieh
I thnk it ll be as usual i.e medium difficulty with a boundary of 59-63

I hope it is, did you sit unit one?
Reply 544
Here's a copy of my revision word doc.
please feel free to criticise, comment and highlight what i've missed, done too much of , or got wrong.

note:
for the plant structures, refer to the diagrams in the cgp guide- they're pretty good and i couldnt replicate them.

for the experiments,
i've only left in what assassin has done, ill add in bits from elsewhere and reupload later if anybody finds it useful

i've only compiled work from lots of different resources-i dont claim any of this to be mine.

thanks for assasin for the upload earlier. a lot of this is based on his work before.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mynameisntbobk
sure.

a CF sufferer has found out that the only hope for his survival is the use of stem cells to code for the CFTR protein, however, he is very apprehensive and reluctant to undergo such treatment even though the doctor has explained to him all the cons about this type of research..

Explain one of the points the doctor has told the patient.. (2 marks)
Give 2 reasons why the patient is reluctant to take part in stem cell research. (2 marks)

Why must stem cell research be closely regulated? (3 marks)

What are the risks associated with the surgery the patient must undergo? (3 marks)

I tried to make it exam styled.. sorry if it's not exactly the best thing ever

WoW thats really helpful!

mmm
one of the points like in the future it ll become possible to clone an entire human ...like that things u mean?
reluctant coz of possible infection (i.e cancer) ?
for this question any 3 points from "regulatory authorities" from assasin notes ryt?
last question :mmmm possible death/ infection/ injury in organ ?
btw i rlly liked it thx a lot!! :h: :cool:
can someone please quickly tell me how the rough endoplasmic reticulum and the Golgi apparatus are involved in the protein production in the cell. thank you :smile:
Reply 547
Original post by newyork newyork
can someone please quickly tell me how the rough endoplasmic reticulum and the Golgi apparatus are involved in the protein production in the cell. thank you :smile:

Just read the cgp guide or better yet download the unit 2 notes somewhere on this thread

What's the difference between genetic variety and genetic diversity ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
do we have to.know any other information about the domains?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diggy
Just read the cgp guide or better yet download the unit 2 notes somewhere on this thread

What's the difference between genetic variety and genetic diversity ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

im sure they are the same thing (genetic diversity/genetic variation/genetic variety)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 550
Updated copy of rev. materials

file is too big to upload as pdf or word doc so its up as an open document format.

pls tell me what i've missed or not included or whether there are any inaccuracies.

hope ppl find this useful.
Reply 551
Original post by newyork newyork

- A polypeptide chain is synthesised in a ribosome when peptide bonds are formed between many amino acid monomers; the ribosome is attached to the cisternae of the rER.
- The polypeptide chain moves into the cisternal space of the rER, where it undergoes further processing in order to achiever a tertiary structure.
-The rER packages the protein into a vesicle.
- The vesicle fuses with the cis-face of the Golgi apparatus, thus causing the protein to enter the cisternal space.
- In the cisernal space, carbohydrate chains are added/trimmed in order to create a glycoprotein, for example, which creates a quaternary structure (not all proteins do this).
- The Golgi apparatus packages the glycoprotein into a vesicle at the trans-face.
- The vesicle fuses with the phospholipid bilayer; secreting the protein via exocytosis.

So they are involved in the processing and packaging of proteins- complex proteins could not be created without them.

Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 552
Original post by Rubyturner94
do we have to.know any other information about the domains?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. You need to know the names of them and the basics of what they contain and be able to apply it.

Eukaryotes = membrane bound organelles.
Bacteria/Archae = no membrane-bound organelles.
Original post by StephenNaulls
Yes. You need to know the names of them and the basics of what they contain and be able to apply it.

Eukaryotes = membrane bound organelles.
Bacteria/Archae = no membrane-bound organelles.

what about the kingdoms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 554
Original post by Rubyturner94
what about the kingdoms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bae bacteria achaea and eukarya

Lol the markscheme is soft on the spelling of achaea if you get a certain number of letters in the current order u get a mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 555
bio notes part 1- correct formating

part 2 on next post
Reply 556
Original post by viyas07

part 2 on next post

part 2
Reply 557
Original post by viyas07

part 2 on next post

Thanks a million :smile:
Reply 558
do we have to know all the different types of mutation? Page 165 orange snab book?
schlerenchyma do have end walls right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply