The Student Room Group

ENGB3 AQA 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lidiya
Me too.. if you don't mind :smile:

no problem!!
whats your email address so that it an send it to???
or would you like me post it here?
Reply 41
Original post by judevorhand
no problem!!
whats your email address so that it an send it to???
or would you like me post it here?

You can post them in here.. is fine :smile:
Original post by lidiya
You can post them in here.. is fine :smile:

alright!!!

will do it this week!!!
Reply 43
Any predictions for which texts may come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jade10128
Any predictions for which texts may come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are most likely to get a spoken discourse - transcript for the Child Language Acquisition part.
Reply 45
Hoping for a written one as well.. By the way anyone know what came up in Jan 2013?
Reply 46
Hi, Doing the A-Level on the Monday 3rd of June - i tend to write notes on all subjects and they are generally A* and marked by top quality Honorary teachers. Those who would like a copy please reply to this comment. I use the AQA Book.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys / girls. :smile:

Me please! :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by TopStudent258
First off all start by writing an intro saying what stage you expect them to be at due to their age e.g. telegraphic stage with the use of mostly nouns. Then pick out features of what they are good at or not so good at and speculate why e.g. fred talk could be used to improve their pronunciation or they may have problems due to not focusing enough on certain phonics.

Would you mind looking at a response written by me on Jan 10 CLA exam paper.. and telling me how it soundsss.. please.. :smile:
Reply 48
Heyyy Guyss... this is a response from JAN10 paper on CLA question 1..Can anyone tell me how it sounds.. as we haven't done any practise on any CLA with 2 or more textss.. Thank you will be very appreciated.

Text A is an interaction between a teacher and two children aged 4yr 4 months and 4yr 5 months. It is evident that these children are likely to be in the post-telegraphic stage. Text B shows us a similar interaction between the teacher and more children aged from 4yr 5moths to 2yr 10 months where the conversation is taking part in school where children are sitting at a table which has a model igloo with models of Inuit people, sledges and husky dogs. Clearly most of the children will be in post telegraphic stage while others will be in the telegraphic stage of linguistic development.
The teachers interaction with the kids is evident in both texts as the teacher plays a vital role in both conversation with its interrogative sentences like ‘what are you making’ allowing children to expand their abilities to interact with a subordinate and explore new opportunities for further linguistic development. Having said the teacher clearly establishes her power due to her age and her profession where children will be required to answer her questions. This is evident where most of the children’s utterances are mainly consist of declaratives i.e ‘there’s a brick inside’ evident in Jack’s speech in text B. These particular declaratives tend to prove Jack’s pragmatic understanding of the inflections like ‘there’s’ this is hard for them to understand as it is challenging to hear. This can therefore support the Skinner’s theory of imitation as earlier their teacher has used it i.e ‘there’s nobody in there’. Further on there is another evidence in text A which also tends to support the theory of Skinner as the teacher tends to lack politeness strategies i.e ‘make some for me then’ this then leads to the idea that children tend to imitate and not show any politeness at a later stage of the conversation ‘I want that one’ evident in Jack’s speech.

In text B the teacher has to deal with much more subordinates therefore she not only tends to utilise imperatives like ‘move them’ but also there is evidence of advisory statements too like ‘careful you don’t’. In both texts it is evident that the teacher tends to interact with simple and compound sentences mainly present tense due to the nature of their activities and also the teacher makes some very basic assumptions of a clear reference to concrete nouns like ‘brick’ ‘leather’ ‘knife’ and many more due to the idea that children will be able to understand this more easily and abstract references are gathered until a later stage of linguistic development.

Even though Luke is only 2 yr 10 months old he is already gathering a high degree of linguistic complexity possibly because he is mainly interacting with older subordinates allowing him to learn new things. He utilises effectively 1st personal pronoun ‘I want to..’ leading to the idea that he is an the first stage of Belugi’s stages of pronoun development. Also in the same text Jack aged 4yr 5moths shows a clear understanding of the negation ‘it can’t be a bed’ shows the correct grammar construction of his sentence and this will show that he is at the top of Bellugi’s stages of negation too.
Reply 49
Hi, Doing the A-Level on the Monday 3rd of June - i tend to write notes on all subjects and they are generally A* and marked by top quality Honorary teachers. Those who would like a copy please reply to this comment. I use the AQA Book.

I'd love a copy, please!
Original post by lidiya
Heyyy Guyss... this is a response from JAN10 paper on CLA question 1..Can anyone tell me how it sounds.. as we haven't done any practise on any CLA with 2 or more textss.. Thank you will be very appreciated.

Text A is an interaction between a teacher and two children aged 4yr 4 months and 4yr 5 months. It is evident that these children are likely to be in the post-telegraphic stage. Text B shows us a similar interaction between the teacher and more children aged from 4yr 5moths to 2yr 10 months where the conversation is taking part in school where children are sitting at a table which has a model igloo with models of Inuit people, sledges and husky dogs. Clearly most of the children will be in post telegraphic stage while others will be in the telegraphic stage of linguistic development.
The teachers interaction with the kids is evident in both texts as the teacher plays a vital role in both conversation with its interrogative sentences like ‘what are you making’ allowing children to expand their abilities to interact with a subordinate and explore new opportunities for further linguistic development. Having said the teacher clearly establishes her power due to her age and her profession where children will be required to answer her questions. This is evident where most of the children’s utterances are mainly consist of declaratives i.e ‘there’s a brick inside’ evident in Jack’s speech in text B. These particular declaratives tend to prove Jack’s pragmatic understanding of the inflections like ‘there’s’ this is hard for them to understand as it is challenging to hear. This can therefore support the Skinner’s theory of imitation as earlier their teacher has used it i.e ‘there’s nobody in there’. Further on there is another evidence in text A which also tends to support the theory of Skinner as the teacher tends to lack politeness strategies i.e ‘make some for me then’ this then leads to the idea that children tend to imitate and not show any politeness at a later stage of the conversation ‘I want that one’ evident in Jack’s speech.

In text B the teacher has to deal with much more subordinates therefore she not only tends to utilise imperatives like ‘move them’ but also there is evidence of advisory statements too like ‘careful you don’t’. In both texts it is evident that the teacher tends to interact with simple and compound sentences mainly present tense due to the nature of their activities and also the teacher makes some very basic assumptions of a clear reference to concrete nouns like ‘brick’ ‘leather’ ‘knife’ and many more due to the idea that children will be able to understand this more easily and abstract references are gathered until a later stage of linguistic development.

Even though Luke is only 2 yr 10 months old he is already gathering a high degree of linguistic complexity possibly because he is mainly interacting with older subordinates allowing him to learn new things. He utilises effectively 1st personal pronoun ‘I want to..’ leading to the idea that he is an the first stage of Belugi’s stages of pronoun development. Also in the same text Jack aged 4yr 5moths shows a clear understanding of the negation ‘it can’t be a bed’ shows the correct grammar construction of his sentence and this will show that he is at the top of Bellugi’s stages of negation too.

Yeah that's pretty good stuff. I would careful with it's evident - a tentative approach is much more appropriate for hitting the top marks e.g. I would expect the children to be at the telegraphic stage... The last paragraph talks about Jack with the personal pronoun I want to, I haven't looked at the text but you could also potentially say that I want is an example of using the future tense which is expected of a child who is aged 4 years old. I did an essay yesterday I will email it to you if you like, send me a private message :smile:
Reply 51
I'm finding this exam so awkward to revise for..under a week to go now! What are everyones revision methods?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too please :smile:
Reply 53
This exam is horrible :frown:
hi, doing the a-level on the monday 3rd of june - i tend to write notes on all subjects and they are generally a* and marked by top quality honorary teachers. Those who would like a copy please reply to this comment. I use the aqa book.

yes please!!:smile:
Reply 55
I am so nervous for this exam!!! Anybody got any example essays from the last couple of years that are high band?
Hey, what do you all think? is there any point in learning reading and writing? Will speech definitely come up?
Reply 57
Original post by sarahjames123
Hey, what do you all think? is there any point in learning reading and writing? Will speech definitely come up?

I don't know about anyone else but I have only studied speech and reading. We didnt even look at writing. My teacher has assured us that there is always a transcript and that is what i'm planning to answer! Reading is my back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me please! I'd be really grateful if you could! I've got a predicted grade of an A* but I feel really under prepared for English Language as I'm having to focus more on my History exam which is on the same day!
Reply 59
hi guys
i made a open office power point thingy while trying to revise! It has been the only way ive been able to revise!
Does anyone want it? If so could someone tell me how to put it up on here, im new!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending