The Student Room Group

Higher French 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Foundhufflepuff
What did people put for that roots question in the reading?

something about having a house in the countryside is said that you have roots somewhere hmm
Original post by ladymarshmallow
For the listening, did you say that her grandparents spoilt her?

Yes, her grandparents spoil her a lot and that she didn't see them often :smile:
Original post by xoJennyox
Actually I have just googled it. Martinique to the USA is 4240.17km! I think the SQA were being kind by using a simple figure hehe :biggrin:.

And this was your last exam right?! NOW WE CAN PARTY :woo:!

:tongue: Yeah, I just looked it up too. :colondollar:
NO MORE EXAMS!! Until next year, of course..
It was so embarrassing, however, because my stomach kept rumbling during the exam. :colone:
Original post by RKS330
Argh! So can you remember what you wrote for the bit about the retrouver and the board game and then the one about retrouver calme?!

I am not sure what I even put for you second point you make.

But about what the family do in the evening, I said something along the lines that they find themselves around a board game. There was a reflexive thing in there which helped me work out the meaning :smile:. I am just so glad I was sensible to revise my grammar.
Reply 264
Not sure what I put for the second point you made- I know I expressed it badly in the exam.

But for the game part, I put something along the lines that the family find themselves around a board game. I noticed there was a reflexive thingy so that helped me. :redface:

Yeah the dictionary said se retrouver meant like meeting again so i just said they gathered together again, hopefully they'll be quite flexible on that answer...
:tongue: Yeah, I just looked it up too. :colondollar:
NO MORE EXAMS!! Until next year, of course..
It was so embarrassing, however, because my stomach kept rumbling during the exam. :colone:

Yup it is nice that everything is over. I don't think I have ever been so stressed! I am just going to spend my Summer getting fit since I haven't been exercising as much during exam leave. I daresay that I have put on at least 2 pounds tehehe :tongue:.

I am really looking forward to next year. I think it will be way more difficult then 5 Highers but there is definitely more independent work and I prefer this. I hate sitting in class listening to the teacher explain everything ten times.

Hehe, my stomach started making noises whilst I was doing the short essay. I don't know if I have done it correctly or not. Some of my friends wrote about what tourists/ young people could do where they wanted to go on holiday. My teacher told me that I did it wrong as I wrote about what people could do in Edinburgh. Did anyone in your class do this? I can't stop thinking about it!
Original post by RKS330
Yeah the dictionary said se retrouver meant like meeting again so i just said they gathered together again, hopefully they'll be quite flexible on that answer...

I don't know to be honest. The text says: "se retrouve" and I was taught that se means himself, herself etc. I am sure that you did fine regardless!
What I wrote for the translation:

A choice that Michele and her husband do not regret. For them their main home is the one in the countryside. Every weekend the family leave on Friday night and return on Monday morning. Once they have arrived at the house, they can spend time together. They even have found the time to garden and to cook.
Am I the only one here in 6th year? Hehe :tongue:
Reply 269
What I wrote for the translation:

A choice that Michele and her husband do not regret. For them their main home is the one in the countryside. Every weekend the family leave on Friday night and return on Monday morning. Once they have arrived at the house, they can spend time together. They even have found the time to garden and to cook.

Pretty much exactly what I wrote.
Reply 270
I got that as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I wrote as well.
That was a pretty easy translation...I never actually used my dictionary and I usually struggle with them. Does this mean that the grade boundaries will be pushed up :frown:?
That was a pretty easy translation...I never actually used my dictionary and I usually struggle with them. Does this mean that the grade boundaries will be pushed up :frown:?

I doubt it. The A boundary has consistently remained at 70%, with A1 at 85%. :smile:
I found it pretty straightforward as well, though.
Original post by JM1996
You are kidding me I had 4 and changed it to 14 hour, how can a plane take 4 hours to get to the Caribbean? Also I had 3000km but changed it to 2000km (don't ask omg)

Oops, I don't really know but I'm sure it's 4 hours as common sense tells me that it would not take 14 hours to get there from the USA. I didn't actually use this as an answer though, I just mentioned that it was 3000km. Sorry if I'm confusing or worrying you.
Reply 275
I don't know if I have done it correctly or not. Some of my friends wrote about what tourists/ young people could do where they wanted to go on holiday. My teacher told me that I did it wrong as I wrote about what people could do in Edinburgh. Did anyone in your class do this? I can't stop thinking about it!

I did it for what you could do in Edinburgh as well but loads of people in my class did that too so maybe if lots of people did that the sqa might be more relaxed and I mean if its good french then they can't complain because it said "Chez vous" and i thought that meant at your place...
I doubt it. The A boundary has consistently remained at 70%, with A1 at 85%. :smile:
I found it pretty straightforward as well, though.

I really hope so. For the past two years the percentage for a A has been 68% and 69% and the paper this year was fair. I just hope that I have a A, I don't even care if it is a Band 2 A because I will be so happy with an A. French is not my forte so just having an A would mean so much!
Original post by ManTae
I did it for what you could do in Edinburgh as well but loads of people in my class did that too so maybe if lots of people did that the sqa might be more relaxed and I mean if its good french then they can't complain because it said "Chez vous" and i thought that meant at your place...

That is what I thought too. Thinking back the question did seem ambiguous but since those words were mentioned then I think that your answer had to be about where you live.

I guess the SQA will probably be accepting two different sets of answers this year fr the essay...or maybe just one if they are cruel :biggrin:.
Reply 278
Original post by Grozdova.
Oops, I don't really know but I'm sure it's 4 hours as common sense tells me that it would not take 14 hours to get there from the USA. I didn't actually use this as an answer though, I just mentioned that it was 3000km. Sorry if I'm confusing or worrying you.

I used common sense in the sense I thought the plane journey was from France never heard America, oh well, only 1 mark.
Reply 279
It was mostly 50/50 in my class. And my teacher- she hasn't read the paper thoroughly though- said that I did it wrong. I just want to cry because I need an A!

Hi. I checked with both my teacher after the exam and they said that you were to write about things that tourists can do where you live because of the 'chez vous' not where you had previously been talking about.

Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll get the A :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest