The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 281

How are you revising?

For section A create model answers and then rewrite them as bullet points then go over it highlighting cases ao2 and main stuff

For section B do as much exam practice as u can look at mark schemes

Section C: spend 30 min reading you insanity automatism notes look at cases even though u dnt need them but they are helpful and then do all the insanity automatism dillema boards that have come up previously

This is my strategy :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 282
causationn essay.doccausation essay 2.doccausation essay 2.doc

hi was wondering if anyone could read through these two essays and give me some feed back on which ones better and where to improve

Reply 283
Original post by qr95
How are you revising?

For section A create model answers and then rewrite them as bullet points then go over it highlighting cases ao2 and main stuff

For section B do as much exam practice as u can look at mark schemes

Section C: spend 30 min reading you insanity automatism notes look at cases even though u dnt need them but they are helpful and then do all the insanity automatism dillema boards that have come up previously

This is my strategy :smile:

Today and tomorrow I am just reading everything and I say them loud, writing what I have read etc. And I thought I would leave Friday for exam practice. I haven't done any model answers though, I think I should considering that whatever the question is you have to write AO1 and AO2 points then relate back to the question. :smile: How are you doing? I have an exam Monday, Tuesday and then this on Thursday which is why I am freaking out a little bit.
Original post by Maerim
Today and tomorrow I am just reading everything and I say them loud, writing what I have read etc. And I thought I would leave Friday for exam practice. I haven't done any model answers though, I think I should considering that whatever the question is you have to write AO1 and AO2 points then relate back to the question. :smile: How are you doing? I have an exam Monday, Tuesday and then this on Thursday which is why I am freaking out a little bit.

I'm bored of doing that, I feel like I'm fully ready for the exam and I just need the special studies. The special studies is so long but will have to stretch through it because law at uni will be 10 times harder than A-Level. It's easy enough to make model answers I guess :tongue:

I just need to learn the ARs and MRs of OAPA 1861 for section C and sorted, lol
Reply 285
Original post by und3niable_
I'm bored of doing that, I feel like I'm fully ready for the exam and I just need the special studies. The special studies is so long but will have to stretch through it because law at uni will be 10 times harder than A-Level. It's easy enough to make model answers I guess :tongue:

I just need to learn the ARs and MRs of OAPA 1861 for section C and sorted, lol

Can't say how I jealous I feel! However, I seem to lose concentration after 10 minutes or so, any tips on how to revise effectively? I know the AR and the MR of all of them, it is just a case of remembering all the appropriate cases and sections. You doing law at uni? Good luck, however you will most likely be going over criminal law again so you should smash it. :tongue:
Original post by Maerim
Can't say how I jealous I feel! However, I seem to lose concentration after 10 minutes or so, any tips on how to revise effectively? I know the AR and the MR of all of them, it is just a case of remembering all the appropriate cases and sections. You doing law at uni? Good luck, however you will most likely be going over criminal law again so you should smash it. :tongue:

First point is Enjoy it...lol. I spend five hours at a time because time goes so quickly. And I just used revision cards, the OCR textbook and reading other criminal law books. The way to concentrate is keep online revision to a minimum, if you find law boring or don't expressly enjoy it you can get distracted easily

Just read, summarise, para-phrase, slot in appropriate cases, practice essays and then you're sorted!

And yeah, I know I'm crazy but law's the only thing I enjoy that I'm reasonably ok at. And what are you doing at uni? :biggrin:
Reply 287
Original post by und3niable_
First point is Enjoy it...lol. I spend five hours at a time because time goes so quickly. And I just used revision cards, the OCR textbook and reading other criminal law books. The way to concentrate is keep online revision to a minimum, if you find law boring or don't expressly enjoy it you can get distracted easily

Just read, summarise, para-phrase, slot in appropriate cases, practice essays and then you're sorted!

And yeah, I know I'm crazy but law's the only thing I enjoy that I'm reasonably ok at. And what are you doing at uni? :biggrin:

Thank you. :smile: I was going to do law but I did badly last year (got a D, now I have a B (possibly an A with the exam I retook last week. Hopefully!)). So, I have now applied for Business, Economics and Finance as I did best in Business last year. :smile: The worst thing is that I am doing best in law this year. :confused:
Reply 288
Original post by Charlie_w
causationn essay.doccausation essay 2.doccausation essay 2.doc

hi was wondering if anyone could read through these two essays and give me some feed back on which ones better and where to improve

In both you've made the mistake of discussing AO1 first and then A02. you need to do them both at the same time. Not only will this get you more marks but it saves you repeating yourself making it flow better. Other than that I haven't look at whether its hitting the AO's but if you go throught the mark scheme you can find out what points you're missing :smile:
Reply 289
Original post by sazzle11
In both you've made the mistake of discussing AO1 first and then A02. you need to do them both at the same time. Not only will this get you more marks but it saves you repeating yourself making it flow better. Other than that I haven't look at whether its hitting the AO's but if you go throught the mark scheme you can find out what points you're missing :smile:

Just want to point out that doing so is not a mistake.Whichever way you answer the question, you can still get the highest marks as long as you include all the relevant information. It depends on what the student is comfortable with, whether doing AO1 and AO2 at the same time or doing AO1 first then AO2.
Reply 290
Original post by sazzle11

our teacher said it doesn't matter either way you do it, if you set it out ao1 them ao2 he said it makes it more clear for the examiner to read
Reply 291
also has anyone got an essay on attempts and duress they would be willing to let me read over
Reply 292
also has anyone got an essay on attempts and duress they would be willing to let me read over

just saw someone posted them previously sorry dont worry
Reply 293

my essay:
Original post by qr95
The topics I'm leaving out are

Intention
Strict liability
Murder
Involuntary/voluntary manslaughter
Consent
Self defence
Partial defences (diminished responsibility)

Do you think I'll be alright?

Personally I wouldn't leave out this many, in lots of the practice papers I've been doing and in particular section Bs the questions have covered multiple sections such as one in Jan 2011 on murder, burglary and duress. Given that you're choosing offences against property and duress you might choose this one over the others but by not revising a key topic such as murder, you could lose valuable marks - even if you're not writing a whole essay on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So far I've made model answers for: Q1 duress, Q1 attempts, Q2 theft + planned a Q1 causation, Q1 omissions, Q2 non fatal OAP...

Would anybody help me out by attaching/ emailing me a Q1 intoxication? My notes on it aren't so good and it's one of my poorer topics so I was planning on doing it as Q2 until I've noticed many people are predicting it to possbily come up... In return I'll email any of the above? :redface: I would reallllly appreciate it!
Anybody know what came up for each section in Jan 2013?

I've noticed there hasn't been an Intoxication Section A, nor a Duress one for quite a while.....
Original post by R.Holly226
Anybody know what came up for each section in Jan 2013?

I've noticed there hasn't been an Intoxication Section A, nor a Duress one for quite a while.....

Yeah I have the mark scheme!
Q1 - self defence, involuntary manslaughter, strict liability

Q2 - offences against the person, murder manslaughter and intoxication, theft robbery and burglary

Q3 - insanity and automatism, loss of control and diminished responsibility

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BooWoodcock

Q2 - offences against the person, murder manslaughter and intoxication, theft robbery and burglary

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been looking everywhere!
Do you think this is a good guess for June 2013?

Q1- Duress or Intoxication/Causation/Theft
Q2- Strict liability/insanity&Automatism/Involuntary Manslaughter
Q3- Murder/Burglary & Robbery
Original post by BooWoodcock

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you mind attaching the markscheme for January 2013 please? I've been looking for it everywhere!

Original post by R.Holly226
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been looking everywhere!
Do you think this is a good guess for June 2013?

Q1- Duress or Intoxication/Causation/Theft
Q2- Strict liability/insanity&Automatism/Involuntary Manslaughter
Q3- Murder/Burglary & Robbery

Q1 - I think Omissions/ Attempts could come up (in replace of theft)
Q2 - Non fatal OAP / theft to come up (instead of strict liability - not sure how you could apply all the marks to a question?)
Q3 - Teacher has predicted insanity+auto / strict liability (but I have a feeling murder/invol man will come up there like you have) :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest