The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Delz101
I have done this question before and wrote the first and third points as my answers. This is the way I was thinking in order to answer them

Growth too rapid: A few reasons why chickens growing too quickly might be a unwanted consequence are:

1. Not everyone likes big chickens, some people may want smaller chickens to cook and eat. Also, some scientific research is carried out on chicks, so if they grow too quickly, this scientific research cannot be done.

reduces gene pool / genetic variation / genetic diversity: There are several types of chickens that exist. Big, small, skinny, fat, ability to grow quickly, ability to produce eggs faster etc. If we only bred chickens that grew quickly then we would eventually lose these characteristics and only have fast growing chickens.

Inbreeding: Think of it like this....incest

increased susceptibility to, disease / named abnormality: Once again, incest. If two family members have a child together, it is said that the child is more likely to have an abnormality.

Hope this helps! I feel silly talking about chickens :tongue:

thank u so much man thats helped.

by any chance do u have the jan13 paper? i really wanna find out what topics came up last :s
Pleaaaaase somebody explain what the Hell the differences between collagen glycogen and haemoglobin are?? And what are glycosidic bonds and peptide bonds as im getting them all mixed up :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rival_
You can come over too if you want :colone:

Ahahaha :wink:
does anyone have the F212 OCR Jan013 paper?
as its not on the website and i'd be interested to find out which topics came up last F212 exam
Reply 344
Do we need to know about metabolism, I dont think i see it on specification
Original post by Char_lotteee
Pleaaaaase somebody explain what the Hell the differences between collagen glycogen and haemoglobin are?? And what are glycosidic bonds and peptide bonds as im getting them all mixed up :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

glycogen is like 'animal starch' its found in all animals and is the carbohydrate for animals whereas amylose and amylopectin are the carbohydrates found in plants

collagen and haemoglobin are both proteins, however collagen is composed of 3 polypeptide chains and haemoglobin is composed of 4 polypeptide chains with a haem group per polypeptide (4 haem groups)

glycosidic bonds are the covalent bonds found between glucose monomers so they are the type of bond which holds together carbohydrates
peptide bonds on the other hand are the type of covalent bond found in protein molecules which hold the amino acids together

hope this helped bro
Original post by Minz
Do we need to know about metabolism, I dont think i see it on specification

i think maybe we just need to know the definition?
Original post by ThePremierLeague
does anyone have the F212 OCR Jan013 paper?
as its not on the website and i'd be interested to find out which topics came up last F212 exam

January 2013 paper and mark scheme
Original post by mtaki14
January 2013 paper and mark scheme

wow thank u so much man,

how did you manage to get hold of the documents so quickly may i ask ?
wow thank u so much man,

how did you manage to get hold of the documents so quickly may i ask ?

Tried to find them online and eventually got them :tongue:
Reply 350

No, we don't. It's not in the spec.
Reply 351
Guys, what is a microfibril? Is that a part of a cellulose or what? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 352
Original post by wndms
Guys, what is a microfibril? Is that a part of a cellulose or what? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cellulose molecules covalently bond to one another, forming cross links, and many of these covalently bonded cellulose molecules make a microfibril.
I think?
ETA: Looks like I got mixed up between cellulose and collagen.
Cellulose chains form hydrogen bonds with eachother as they have many projecting OH groups. And then many of these cellulose molecules form a microfibril.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 353
Original post by Gotzz
Cellulose molecules covalently bond to one another, forming cross links, and many of these covalently bonded cellulose molecules make a microfibril.
I think?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 354
Does anyone know how adrenaline increases breathibg rate, heart rate and blood pressure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 355
thank u so much man thats helped.

by any chance do u have the jan13 paper? i really wanna find out what topics came up last :s

Your welcome. Sorry, but I don't. Someone will probably post it during the weekend.
Reply 356
Original post by Gotzz
I think?

Hey dude, they're not covalently bonded. Cellulose molecules form glysocidic bonds with each other and this is an example of a condensation reaction because a water molecule is released. Also, they are joined together by hydrogen bonds because their hydroxyl groups are antiparallel. Hydrogen bonds form between the anime and carboxyl groups:smile:
Reply 357

Ahh ok, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 358
Original post by AtotheT
Hey dude, they're not covalently bonded. Cellulose molecules form glysocidic bonds with each other and this is an example of a condensation reaction because a water molecule is released. Also, they are joined together by hydrogen bonds because their hydroxyl groups are antiparallel. Hydrogen bonds form between the anime and carboxyl groups:smile:

Yes they are covalently bonded, glycosidic is just the specific name for the bond. Like in DNA, the back bone is made up of phosphodiester bonds, however the bonding is actually just covalent between a phospate group and a sugar...just fancy names :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prefer green chemistry in f322 than biodiversity in this - simply because the same questions come up in chemistry and this doesn't happen in biology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending