The Student Room Group

Higher French 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amy0990
Hi. I checked with both my teacher after the exam and they said that you were to write about things that tourists can do where you live because of the 'chez vous' not where you had previously been talking about.

Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll get the A :biggrin:

Thanks God, I was too upset to go to ask another teacher because I assumed that I was going to be told the same thing and my second french teacher had a class.

I was just so shocked when I went to see my main teacher after the exam was over. Me and a few friends went up and two of my friends wrote about what people could do in their preferred location. Whilst I and my other friend wrote about our home areas- Edinburgh. I really hope that this is the case...it sure sounds like it!

I think that I have managed to get an A now. There's no point in worrying about it anymore. It's not like I can change anything :biggrin:. How did you find the exam by the way?!
Reply 281
Original post by xoJennyox
OMFG, I am having a panic attack. For the short personal response in paper 2, were you supposed to write about what there is for tourists where you live or where you wanted to go on holiday?

Everyone in my class did different wrote different things. I wrote about what there is to do in my town but some people wrote what there is to do where they wanted to go on holiday. I feel that I have lost so many marks because I misinterpreted the question!

Don't worry I'm pretty sure you've done the right thing! Everyone I've spoken to from my class spoke about their hometown, I'm sure it's correct!
:smile:
Reply 282
I got so confused on the last sentence of the translation and wrote something about them doing cooking and gardening together... Oh well, hopefully it will be only one mark lost, maybe two..

Also, did anyone translate sport competition as "compétition de sport"? I don't know why I did, it seems a bit silly now when it should clearly be "compétition sportive".
Will that push my mark down by a peg?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 283
Original post by coultra1
I got so confused on the last sentence of the translation and wrote something about them doing cooking and gardening together... Oh well, hopefully it will be only one mark lost, maybe two..

Also, did anyone translate sport competition as "compétition de sport"? I don't know why I did, it seems a bit silly now when it should clearly be "compétition sportive".
Will that push my mark down by a peg?

I did the same as you:smile: 'compétition de sport'
Reply 284
Original post by kh96
I did the same as you:smile: 'compétition de sport'

Oh really, it's good to know someone did and I wasn't being really stupid haha. Do you know if this is an acceptable way to say it? :s-smilie:
Well google translate says..."compétition sportive". I don't know if your phrases are completely correct but I don't think you would lose a peg mark for something so minor!
Reply 286
Original post by coultra1
Oh really, it's good to know someone did and I wasn't being really stupid haha. Do you know if this is an acceptable way to say it? :s-smilie:

I'm not really sure :frown: it made sense to me at the time but the other one is probably better to say:frown: I don't think they would take that much off for it..hopefully!
Original post by kh96
I'm not really sure :frown: it made sense to me at the time but the other one is probably better to say:frown: I don't think they would take that much off for it..hopefully!

I HIGHLY doubt they would do that! Marking you down to the lower category clearly requires quite some change in language, grammar and content if you look at the marking scheme. One error (if it even is one, it seems fine to me :smile: ) is really not going to make much of a difference!
Reply 288
Original post by FeelingofSuccess
I HIGHLY doubt they would do that! Marking you down to the lower category clearly requires quite some change in language, grammar and content if you look at the marking scheme. One error (if it even is one, it seems fine to me :smile: ) is really not going to make much of a difference!

Aww thank you! I feel better now :smile:
Do you think they would take marks off if you didn't describe your home area? For example, I wrote about Scotland in general and I didn't really mention Aberdeen. Since "chez vous" is rather idiomatic and is quite open to interpretation, do you think it would be wrong to have written about Scotland?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kh96
Aww thank you! I feel better now :smile:

No problem, are you taking advanced higher french next year (if you are in 5th year)? :smile:
Reply 291
Well google translate says..."compétition sportive". I don't know if your phrases are completely correct but I don't think you would lose a peg mark for something so minor!

I suppose I was maybe a bit drastic haha.. Okay thanks for that! Feel a bit better now :smile:
Reply 292
No problem, are you taking advanced higher french next year (if you are in 5th year)? :smile:

I want to but my time table won't allow me to do it :frown: there is actually nobody in the school doing advanced French :O what about you? :smile:
Original post by Grozdova.
Do you think they would take marks off if you didn't describe your home area? For example, I wrote about Scotland in general and I didn't really mention Aberdeen. Since "chez nous" is rather idiomatic and is quite open to interpretation, do you think it would be wrong to have written about Scotland?

Yes I see what you mean, it is not like you will lose any marks but I think that the SQA were looking for you to be specific in your answer. Because every student who does Higher French obviously lives in Scotland! However if you wrote the essay well then I don't see why you should lose any marks :smile:.
Yes I see what you mean, it is not like you will lose any marks but I think that the SQA were looking for you to be specific in your answer. Because every student who does Higher French obviously lives in Scotland! However if you wrote the essay well then I don't see why you should lose any marks :smile:.

Original post by Grozdova.
Do you think they would take marks off if you didn't describe your home area? For example, I wrote about Scotland in general and I didn't really mention Aberdeen. Since "chez nous" is rather idiomatic and is quite open to interpretation, do you think it would be wrong to have written about Scotland?

Nope, they did not ask specifically for you to discuss your hometown, but rather where you live, so it is open for your own interpretation. So, I personally think Scotland is absolutely fine :smile:

Nice to see someone else from Aberdeen here :tongue:
Original post by kh96
I want to but my time table won't allow me to do it :frown: there is actually nobody in the school doing advanced French :O what about you? :smile:

Aw, that sucks! What do you want to do when you leave school do you know?

I'm in 6th year, did Standard Grade French, then didn't take it in 5th year. So, I am now returning to it this year. I've reeeally enjoyed French this year, so partly regret not taking it last year and doing advanced higher this year. But, ah well! Maybe inevitable, but I hope I don't forget all my french too soon! :smile:
Nope, they did not ask specifically for you to discuss your hometown, but rather where you live, so it is open for your own interpretation. So, I personally think Scotland is absolutely fine :smile:

Nice to see someone else from Aberdeen here :tongue:

So what do you think will happen to the people who wrote the essay on the wrong subject?

About half of my class wrote about what tourists could do on where they wanted to go on holiday. Should they be allowed the marks?
So what do you think will happen to the people who wrote the essay on the wrong subject?

About half of my class wrote about what tourists could do on where they wanted to go on holiday. Should they be allowed the marks?

Well, if what we both did is correct (I am pretty sure, but not totally confident as I don't have the test paper with me, for those who wrote the above (what tourists could do where they wanted to go on holiday), see below:

FROM MARKING SCHEME

What if the candidate has been asked to address a topic with two aspects but only addresses one of these?

In such a case the candidate is deemed to have not addressed the task fully.
The quality of the language should be assessed and the writing should then be
placed in the next category down, eg if the writing would otherwise have
been awarded 8, it should instead be awarded 6.

NOTE: However, the SQA may be lenient and accept both interpretations of the question if they're feeling nice! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 298
Aw, that sucks! What do you want to do when you leave school do you know?

I'm in 6th year, did Standard Grade French, then didn't take it in 5th year. So, I am now returning to it this year. I've reeeally enjoyed French this year, so partly regret not taking it last year and doing advanced higher this year. But, ah well! Maybe inevitable, but I hope I don't forget all my french too soon! :smile:

I'm not really sure at the moment..I need to decide soon! I enjoy maths so maybe accountancy or something like that! I was thinking of something medical as well but I will need to see how I do in my exams :s-smilie: what are you going to do? :smile:
ahhh! The only thing that is putting me off advanced is the fact that you need to do a speaking infront of the examiner! haha I couldn't cope with that
Original post by kh96
I'm not really sure at the moment..I need to decide soon! I enjoy maths so maybe accountancy or something like that! I was thinking of something medical as well but I will need to see how I do in my exams :s-smilie: what are you going to do? :smile:
ahhh! The only thing that is putting me off advanced is the fact that you need to do a speaking infront of the examiner! haha I couldn't cope with that

Yeah, maybe start thinking about it soon but don't rush into making the decision of course. Scary as it sounds, it is life-changing! :smile:

I'm starting medical school next year :smile:

Yeah, that sounds scary but I am sure it's not as hard as you think. My friend was absolutely petrified about it and it was okay in the end!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending