The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

I agree with omissions- I hope it does!

There was a strict liability scenario somewhere in the past- it was horrible :s-smilie: I think it was an old one though, that's why I thought it might come up :smile:

They always have Murder in there somewhere- I hate it so much, there is no structure to the topic!

Insanity usually comes up in with Q2/Q3

So you know what the special study is after Insanity/Automatism? That will probably pop-up somewhere :smile:
I only have a paper copy of the mark scheme. Sorry! The examiner's reports from Jan 2013 are on the OCR website which gives an indication of the questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by R.Holly226
I agree with omissions- I hope it does!

There was a strict liability scenario somewhere in the past- it was horrible :s-smilie: I think it was an old one though, that's why I thought it might come up :smile:

They always have Murder in there somewhere- I hate it so much, there is no structure to the topic!

Insanity usually comes up in with Q2/Q3

So you know what the special study is after Insanity/Automatism? That will probably pop-up somewhere :smile:

People have said it's theft special study next year but I can't find any solid evidence online for it - but OCR release the booklets at the start of May so it's possible some colleges already have the booklets and that's how they know

My teacher always says theft+non fatal oap+manslaughter will pop up somewhere (they were all Q2 in January so won't all be there again). If theft comes up as a Q1 I'll be missing it out since it's very hard to pick up ao2's on it. Attempts wasn't on at all in January which is why I think it'll be a Q1/Q2. Non fatal OAP was Q1 in June 2012 so I think it'll be Q2 this time. But involuntary manslaughter/murder took up most of this January's exam which is why I think it'd only be a Q3 this time round :smile:
Then it is very possible the exam will be in my favour :smile: Thank you so much for your help! What areas are you revising?
I NEED NEED NEED Attempts to come up, that is my favourite subject by far.
Then it is very possible the exam will be in my favour :smile: Thank you so much for your help! What areas are you revising?

No problem, I'm hoping everyone's predictions are right as well since it'll favour me :smile:
Q1 - I'm preparing model answers for all most likely topics to come up so I know what ao2's to include (duress, intoxication, attempts, causation, omissions)

Q2 - I'm just practising all topics and applying them through past papers + markschemes (mainly theft, non fatal OAP - as 1 of these has always came up on Q2 every time so far)

Q3 - mainly insanity+auto, but also involuntary manslaughter + OAP; just by going over past papers :smile:

Basically, I'm only briefly revising these topics for background knowledge; strict liability, murder, defences (provocation+loss of control+DR), intention... How about you? :smile:
How much are you all focussing on AO2, i've been sort of neglecting it in my revision because ive been drilling the cases into my head but don't you think that some of it is pretty self explanatory? Obviously not the Law Commissions comments but things like:

"s4 of the Theft Act (1968) explains Property however under subsections 2,3,4 we are only given what CANNOT be classed as property, and therefore there is still no clear definition for property, this clearly highlights a suggestions for reform [if its a reform question] / highlights a problem with the current law governing the Theft Act 1968" etc.
Good plan! I'm going over all but Mens Rea and Strict Liability- I have a terrible memory with law/cases but i'm great with reform- i'm hoping one topic will stick. But I am paying more attention to defences for Q1 as that is where I pick up most of my marks :smile:
Only topic im missin out is strict liability. Wot about u guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 309
My final predictions are
Q1)
causation (nt come up for ages)
attempts (nt come up for ages and was special study last year)
Duress (nt come up for ages along with intoxication)

Q2)
Theft on its own
Fatal offences
idk wat else

Q3)
Obv insanity n automatism
non fatals
How are people revising for the A02 on this paper? Have you been using the content in the OCR textbook? I hate A02. :frown: I've more or less finished everything apart from theft problems and Robbery/Burglary problems. I'm leaving out strict liability. I so hope most of your predictions are right, would love duress or consent as an essay question.

Is it definite that theft/ non fatal with come up for q2?
Original post by MonsterMorris
How are people revising for the A02 on this paper? Have you been using the content in the OCR textbook? I hate A02. :frown: I've more or less finished everything apart from theft problems and Robbery/Burglary problems. I'm leaving out strict liability. I so hope most of your predictions are right, would love duress or consent as an essay question.

I hope theft comes up for Q2, its quite easy.

The only thing i've found difficult for Q2 however, is applying any subjective elements of a test.
Original post by Maerim
Just want to point out that doing so is not a mistake.Whichever way you answer the question, you can still get the highest marks as long as you include all the relevant information. It depends on what the student is comfortable with, whether doing AO1 and AO2 at the same time or doing AO1 first then AO2.

Definitely..depends on the person's preference. But his essays did lack depth and consistent AO2 points. The risk with discussing AO2 after is that you may leave out some points, repeat previous points or forget something :3

Not sure about the theft/non-fatal.

My teacher is Emma Bradbury who writes revision guides and teachers packs- she gives us lots of evaluation, so if you can find any of it online then it might be helpful. Otherwise, It might be good to look at power points/handouts put online by other schools, for example if you type in 'Intoxication evaluation' then it comes up with lots of links:smile: I think there is a pretty high chance of duress, my college used it as our moc because they were so sure :P
So would people recommend doing AO1 and AO2 together?
So would people recommend doing AO1 and AO2 together?

Yes, just talk about the law and then say if it is good or bad. It's probably easier to do them together aswell :smile:

My teacher is Emma Bradbury who writes revision guides and teachers packs- she gives us lots of evaluation, so if you can find any of it online then it might be helpful. Otherwise, It might be good to look at power points/handouts put online by other schools, for example if you type in 'Intoxication evaluation' then it comes up with lots of links:smile: I think there is a pretty high chance of duress, my college used it as our moc because they were so sure :P

Thank you :smile: I would love duress. I like the A02, but some A02 is really dull. I've not started theft or robbery problems they look awful. Is it possible that they could ask a robbery/burglary essay? I have never seen one.
Is it difficult to get 40+ on the essays?

Same college, Hollaaa.
Reply 319
Original post by JLXP
Same college, Hollaaa.

Duress was on my mock aswell what other stuff was on urs :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest