The Student Room Group

Higher French 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
After the directed writing everyone in my class said that they had talked quite a bit about the sports team and the actual activities they did on the days of the competition.

Although I did mention that I was in a sports team with 6 people, I didn't write what sport it was; and for the days of the competition I wrote about how I made breakfast for everyone on these days because it made them feel happy?

Would I lose marks for not mentioning any sport related activities? :confused:
Original post by FeelingofSuccess
Well, if what we both did is correct (I am pretty sure, but not totally confident as I don't have the test paper with me, for those who wrote the above (what tourists could do where they wanted to go on holiday), see below:

FROM MARKING SCHEME

What if the candidate has been asked to address a topic with two aspects but only addresses one of these?

In such a case the candidate is deemed to have not addressed the task fully.
The quality of the language should be assessed and the writing should then be
placed in the next category down, eg if the writing would otherwise have
been awarded 8, it should instead be awarded 6.

NOTE: However, the SQA may be lenient and accept both interpretations of the question if they're feeling nice! :biggrin:

So technically my second part of the essay could have been about how much I love dogs since my first part was relevant. I think that is kind of silly XD.
Nope, they did not ask specifically for you to discuss your hometown, but rather where you live, so it is open for your own interpretation. So, I personally think Scotland is absolutely fine :smile:

Nice to see someone else from Aberdeen here :tongue:

Thank you, you have put my mind at ease. :smile: You too - it's nice to see the 'Deen being represented. :cool: I hope the exam went smoothly for you. Are you doing AH?
Original post by kh96
I'm not really sure at the moment..I need to decide soon! I enjoy maths so maybe accountancy or something like that! I was thinking of something medical as well but I will need to see how I do in my exams :s-smilie: what are you going to do? :smile:
ahhh! The only thing that is putting me off advanced is the fact that you need to do a speaking infront of the examiner! haha I couldn't cope with that

Sorry to but in here but I thought you might want to know. I did Advanced Higher German (yes, we are rivals :tongue:) a few years ago. Don't let the speaking put you off! Granted both of us in my class were absolutely petrified, but you get to write down a list of topics you feel confident about so that they're the only ones you talk about. You get to prepare everything in advance and I can honestly say it was the quickest 20 minutes of my life; you really get into it! The Advanced Higher is a great course and you really get to understand language, grammar, literature and culture in much greater detail. It's also very enjoyable! :tongue:
Original post by srm4
After the directed writing everyone in my class said that they had talked quite a bit about the sports team and the actual activities they did on the days of the competition.

Although I did mention that I was in a sports team with 6 people, I didn't write what sport it was; and for the days of the competition I wrote about how I made breakfast for everyone on these days because it made them feel happy?

Would I lose marks for not mentioning any sport related activities? :confused:

Same here, I did not mention anything about sport. I just talked about what I would do on the days of the competition so that I could fit in some of the imperfect tense. I think we are fine- the question did not say: which sports did you play etc :smile:.
Original post by Grozdova.
Thank you, you have put my mind at ease. :smile: You too - it's nice to see the 'Deen being represented. :cool: I hope the exam went smoothly for you. Are you doing AH?

Haha yep! :tongue:

Nope, I'm doing higher french but i'm in 6th year. I did SG French, didn't do it in 5th year and came back to it this year and did higher. Kinda regret doing that though and wish i'd done higher last year and advanced this year. Ah well!

Are you doing advanced higher french next year? :smile:
I wrote this in my directed writing:

Ils l'ont fait difficile de s'entendre avec eux

To mean "they made it difficult to get on with them".. maybe rendre would be a better verb? I wasn't sure how correct it was to stick the 'l'' in.

For the listening I didn't get the question which asked why she liked staying at her grandparents, I said she didn't have to get up often because I thought I heard the verb se lever, but I'm pretty sure this is wrong. What was the verb that meant they spoiled her? I also thought I heard the verb elever :s
Original post by jadoreétudier
I wrote this in my directed writing:

Ils l'ont fait difficile de s'entendre avec eux

To mean "they made it difficult to get on with them".. maybe rendre would be a better verb? I wasn't sure how correct it was to stick the 'l'' in.

For the listening I didn't get the question which asked why she liked staying at her grandparents, I said she didn't have to get up often because I thought I heard the verb se lever, but I'm pretty sure this is wrong. What was the verb that meant they spoiled her? I also thought I heard the verb elever :s

gâcher = to spoil

I think it was that she didn't see them very often and that they like to spoil her a lot.

The getting up early bit was related to the next question - getting up early and taking a walk along the beach, as far as I'm aware :smile:
Reply 308
I'm the same I wrote nothing about the sport I did because i would have went off on a tangent. See for how I got with competitors. I said je me suis burn entendu avec... And I wrote along the lines of il y a un Bon ambiance? Is that right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 309
Original post by xoJennyox
Same here, I did not mention anything about sport. I just talked about what I would do on the days of the competition so that I could fit in some of the imperfect tense. I think we are fine- the question did not say: which sports did you play etc :smile:.

Thank god for that! I normally do really well in French and I'm taking it at Adv. Higher level next year so I really need to get an A :s-smilie:

Hopefully everything goes alright and if it doesen't I know I can appeal because I did get an A in my prelims :smile:
gâcher = to spoil

I think it was that she didn't see them very often and that they like to spoil her a lot.

The getting up early bit was related to the next question - getting up early and taking a walk along the beach, as far as I'm aware :smile:

I see.. totally blanked that question, the rest of it was okay though! Think I've got around 15-18, a big improvement on my 10 in the prelim :smile:
Reply 311
Yeah, maybe start thinking about it soon but don't rush into making the decision of course. Scary as it sounds, it is life-changing! :smile:

I'm starting medical school next year :smile:

Yeah, that sounds scary but I am sure it's not as hard as you think. My friend was absolutely petrified about it and it was okay in the end!

Aw amazing! Hope you enjoy it :biggrin:
i have chosen advanced chemistry and advanced maths but I'm not so sure about them anymore :s-smilie: higher maths was hard and I have chemistry on Friday :frown: I might change to advanced French..depending on results!
I see.. totally blanked that question, the rest of it was okay though! Think I've got around 15-18, a big improvement on my 10 in the prelim :smile:

Yeah, I hate listening started off with 11 too and have slowly improved! That's good, all the best! :smile:
Original post by kh96
Aw amazing! Hope you enjoy it :biggrin:
i have chosen advanced chemistry and advanced maths but I'm not so sure about them anymore :s-smilie: higher maths was hard and I have chemistry on Friday :frown: I might change to advanced French..depending on results!

Thank you! :smile:
I didn't take advanced maths, but did do advanced chemistry. When the course first started, I found it very tough but am now finding it just the same as higher, the content really isn't that confusing :smile:
Good luck for next year! :smile:
Reply 314
Thank you! :smile:
I didn't take advanced maths, but did do advanced chemistry. When the course first started, I found it very tough but am now finding it just the same as higher, the content really isn't that confusing :smile:
Good luck for next year! :smile:

Oh that's good :smile: I think higher is alright so advanced shouldn't be a lot worse :biggrin: it's my last exam and then I am free! Yay haha! Thank you!! You too :smile:
Reply 315
1a) to live in the precious moments & for a change of air.
B) I'm not born in a fairly wealthy family to own a house & I grew up in a flat that my parents rented
C) it is the roots to somewhere.

2a) wished to escape the pollution, she always liked the fresh air & it is not as expensive to rent an apartment.
B) didn't have a clue for the first q
Second one: Do you not spend your time shopping and cooking
C) less risk of bring stuck in a traffic jam & she has her own house.

3a) there are no neighbours
B) spend hours in the garden, cycling on bikes & playing in the attack
C) around the socitie games?? Not sure on that.

That's all I can remember feel free to scrutinise my answers if there wrong haha. Hope there similar to yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kh96
Oh that's good :smile: I think higher is alright so advanced shouldn't be a lot worse :biggrin: it's my last exam and then I am free! Yay haha! Thank you!! You too :smile:

Yeah, you'll be fine! :smile:

I knowww, freeeedom for 3 months for me :biggrin: Cannot wait!

I think it's because it said "elle les voit", she sees them.
Reply 318
Yeah, you'll be fine! :smile:

I knowww, freeeedom for 3 months for me :biggrin: Cannot wait!

So lucky!! School starts again soon :frown: I will just try to enjoy my freedom whilst it lasts! hehe
Original post by weejackie10
1a) to live in the precious moments & for a change of air.
B) I'm not born in a fairly wealthy family to own a house & I grew up in a flat that my parents rented
C) it is the roots to somewhere.

2a) wished to escape the pollution, she always liked the fresh air & it is not as expensive to rent an apartment.
B) didn't have a clue for the first q
Second one: Do you not spend your time shopping and cooking
C) less risk of bring stuck in a traffic jam & she has her own house.

3a) there are no neighbours
B) spend hours in the garden, cycling on bikes & playing in the attack
C) around the socitie games?? Not sure on that.

That's all I can remember feel free to scrutinise my answers if there wrong haha. Hope there similar to yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1a) Not too sure what I put but it was pants
b) grew up in a flat rented by her parents & parents were not rich
c) Not sure what I put

2a) So their son an escape the pollution
Her husband spent his childhood in the countryside and liked the outdoors
They would never have enough money to pay for a flat in Paris
2b) Whether she spends her time doing housework and doing things (sure this is wrong)
Whether she is scared of the traffic on Sunday evening

3a) They could be noisy since there were no neighbours
b) Playing in attack, spend hours in garden and go for long bike rides
c) find themselves around a board game

And not to sure what I got for Q4.

Quick Reply