The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2700
Original post by bananarama2
You'd have to be limbless to be worse than me I reckon. But i'd love to give it a go, I could do with exercising and putting on muscle mass.

I think that's a pretty insensitive comment, as it's obviously an exaggeration of the truth.

Besides, being "limbless" certainly qualifies as an arm impediment, so as far as you know you are actually addressing someone in that category.
Reply 2701
Original post by Oromis263
Unconditional for Physical Natsci :smile:

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FO12DY
I think that's a pretty insensitive comment, as it's obviously an exaggeration of the truth.

Besides, being "limbless" certainly qualifies as an arm impediment, so as far as you know you are actually addressing someone in that category.

I'm sorry if you construed it as being insensitive.

Except I know the person who I was quoting isn't limbless. Besides I was just trying to say she should give it a go.

Edit: Natscis, masters of tact.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2703
I'm sorry if you construed it as being insensitive.

Except I know the person who I was quoting isn't limbless. Besides I was just trying to say she should give it a go.

Edit: Natscis, masters of tact.

I'll give you a race :colone:

Original post by FO12DY

It's ok, he didn't mean it like that :h: Plus I do have all my limbs, fortunately.

Original post by Helenia
Depends on the impediment, but it's probably worth going down to the boathouse for their Freshers' meet and giving it a try! You don't need any strength in your arms, really, as I've said, but you do need enough mobility and control to get the blade in and out of the water. There are ways and means...

Oh okay, thanks! If I make my offer I might see what I can do then! :biggrin:
Original post by _Georgie
Yeah we'll definitely have to have an event in freshers or something, to congratulate everyone there for getting through it (even if I'm not there...)! Could even open it up to TSRians in general :smile: Or maybe just mathmos and natscis...
Yeah I saw on Girton's website that we get to eat at Pembroke, Clare and Downing (I think) as if we belonged to that college - I guess because it'd be silly to have to go back to Girton for lunch.

And to listen to LOTF's accent...I'm intrigued :tongue:

Do you not have in-flight meals on the plane travelling between Girton and Cambridge?

Just for the record, I'm so in :smile:
Incidentally, do you know if LOTF is on the Pembroke Freshers Facebook page? There's a guy from Paris with some kind of mathematical scrawl on his wall, so I'm just presuming it's him :L

Original post by DJMayes
I hope Pembroke serves pie...

Seconded. :rolleyes:

Original post by DJMayes
Looking forward to seeing what kind of meat Cambridge serves with its roast dinners? Whilst I highly doubt it would happen it would be amazing if they served something ridiculously posh like quail... :lol:

I suspect it will be entirely normal (unfortunately). My parents have been winding me up about that for ages. Whenever the topic of Cambridge comes up, they always start "When you're eating quail up at Cambridge."

This made me chuckle :lol:

My sister's boyfriend and his friends (Caius) developed the tactic of turning up relatively late to lunch and sitting closest to the Master's Table (or whatever it's called) as when they were done the fellows would offer them scraps (still literally on a silver platter) of salmon and guinea fowl (etc) :lol: Did you try the Pembroke food when you went down for interviews?
Original post by Lost And Confused
Just for the record, I'm so in :smile:
Incidentally, do you know if LOTF is on the Pembroke Freshers Facebook page? There's a guy from Paris with some kind of mathematical scrawl on his wall, so I'm just presuming it's him :L

My sister's boyfriend and his friends (Caius) developed the tactic of turning up relatively late to lunch and sitting closest to the Master's Table (or whatever it's called) as when they were done the fellows would offer them scraps (still literally on a silver platter) of salmon and guinea fowl (etc) :lol: Did you try the Pembroke food when you went down for interviews?

Firstly, no clue. Secondly, I've tried from both the main hall and the Cafe. :biggrin:
Reply 2706
Original post by Lost And Confused
Did you try the Pembroke food when you went down for interviews?

*ahem* "When you went up".

:wink:
Original post by FO12DY
*ahem* "When you went up".

:wink:

Well, the question was addressed to Bananarama and I. Geographically speaking I certainly went down to interview, so if the same holds true for Bananarama then nothing was wrong with the statement. :wink:
Original post by DJMayes
Well, the question was addressed to Bananarama and I. Geographically speaking I certainly went down to interview, so if the same holds true for Bananarama then nothing was wrong with the statement. :wink:

It doesn't matter where you live, I think it's always 'up' :P
Reply 2709
Original post by DJMayes

Original post by not_a_dog

Nope, as not_a_dog says, tradition holds that you always go up to Cambridge, and go down for Summer etc. I think the same holds true for Oxford, but don't quote me on that.

If you read any correspondance from Admissions Tutors etc. again, you'll notice that it reads something like "we look forward to meeting you when you come up in October." (I don't recall the exact words).

This template is no coincidence.

Edit:
I should point out I'm not being nit-picky and out-right annoying, I meant it more as a fun-fact/we're-hopefully-going-to-Cambridge-let's-get-down-with-the-lingo type thing. :smile:

Edit 2:
Not *trying to be* :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by not_a_dog

In all honesty I think that either should really be fine, as both are used frequently in different contexts. People usually say "I'm going up town" but they will also usually say things like "I'm going down the pub" so the distinction is pretty blurred.

EDIT: Fair enough, wasn't aware of that.
(edited 10 years ago)
I live pretty much directly east from Cambridge. You can tell how much of a pickle that puts me in over the whole up/down debate.

#westmidlandproblems
Original post by Grauniad
I live pretty much directly east from Cambridge. You can tell how much of a pickle that puts me in over the whole up/down debate.

#westmidlandproblems

#CardinalDirectionProblems :wink:

And technically, almost everywhere in the country is above Cambridge in sea levels. Cambridge have just always wanted to be different and special.
Original post by Grauniad

#westmidlandproblems

You mean west of Cambridge? Otherwise, you'd be in Suffolk... not the West Midlands :lol:
It's always up to Cambridge. Hence the phrase "going up."
Original post by DJMayes
In all honesty I think that either should really be fine, as both are used frequently in different contexts. People usually say "I'm going up town" but they will also usually say things like "I'm going down the pub" so the distinction is pretty blurred.

EDIT: Fair enough, wasn't aware of that.

:biggrin: I know only because I have made the same mistake and was thus informed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2716
It's always up to Cambridge. Hence the phrase "going up."

I think the issue is the Northeners among us thought the phrase was "going down" (and not on t' way home) :P
Original post by FO12DY
I think the issue is the Northeners among us thought the phrase was "going down" (and not on t' way home) :P

I'm a Northerner too :wink:
Original post by Etoile
x

V.random, but I see you're going to Caius for French&German. I've been supervised by your future DoS several times, she's so lovely! Just thought I'd reassure you :smile:
Original post by FO12DY
I think the same holds true for Oxford, but don't quote me on that.
Quote me instead...

Latest