The Student Room Group

GCSE Classical Greek Literature

I'm doing Greek GCSE and the Literature exam. is this Tuesday. Those of you who are also doing this exam. - do you know the translation word by word or have you concentrated more on the general story and style/contextual points which might come up?

Thanks and have fun with the exam. (:

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm doing the Prose and Verse and I've tried to focus on learning an accurate, word by word translation but I've looked over my notes for things on the 10 marker, though honestly I'll probably just try and think on my feet for that one :smile: If you learn the word by word you can quote relevant things quite easily :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
For Prose we're doing Battle of Salamis, and Verse Iliad XI. Our teacher told us to match up each word in our translations with the Greek word, so we know exactly what each word means. This is really helpful, especially for the translation questions. It also helps knowing what each word means for the 10 markers, so you can comment on individual words. Good luck!
Reply 3
Thanks, sounds like you'll both do well (: our teacher hasn't taught us any of the Literature (Lysias and Demosthenes) or the content for the Sources paper so we're having to do it all ourselves with no resources except what OCR provides! :/ really worried about the exam and especially since I taught the Lit to the rest of my class (we have twilight Greek sessions at reduced lesson number per fortnight and have taken our spare time to do it) so I'll get blamed for any difficult stuff that comes up anticipated haha! (: think we've covered everything ourselves but with no guidance it's really hard to be sure :/
Don't worry too much about the exams, as long as you can translate the whole thing accurately, write 5 well developed points for the 10 marker, and comment on the story (all of which you sound like you've got covered) you'll be absolutely fine :smile:

I'm doing Iliad Book VI and The Battle of Salamis so I'm afraid I'm not much help with specific text related things but if there's any way I can help (exam layout/technique) let me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SnowyGreyWolf
really worried about the exam and especially since I taught the Lit to the rest of my class (we have twilight Greek sessions at reduced lesson number per fortnight and have taken our spare time to do it) so I'll get blamed for any difficult stuff that comes up anticipated haha! (: :/

Oh, and I feel like I should congratulate you for teaching yourself and your class the literature! I don't think I could ever have done it without my teacher, your dedication is really impressive, well done! And good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you for all your advice! Just wondering, for your technique, do you comment on the same sorts of things as you would in Latin (e.g. anaphora, chiasmus, tricolon etc. - if you do Latin) or more English-y things like word positioning?

Thanks again and hope you do well in the exam (:
Reply 7
Original post by SnowyGreyWolf
Thank you for all your advice! Just wondering, for your technique, do you comment on the same sorts of things as you would in Latin (e.g. anaphora, chiasmus, tricolon etc. - if you do Latin) or more English-y things like word positioning?

Thanks again and hope you do well in the exam (:

Same as Latin really. We've been told to try and get a lot of style points in the 10 markers, because what lets people down is just focusing on the content.
Reply 8
How did you all find it? I made a couple of stupid mistakes, so I might just scrape an A* for that paper, or be just below the boundary. Depends on how well I do in the 8 marker and 10 marker.
What are the grade boundaries likely to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Normally it's about 44 for an A*, and 39ish for an A. Quite high for the literature.
I found it alright, think I might have lost a mark on the translation but really it depends on how well the 8 and 10 markers have gone for me (they're hard to judge). Was quite happy with the question for the 8-marker: just rambled on about good old Themistocles :P
To be honest I ended up learning half the text Monday night. The translation bit with the games analogy was hood but I got confused between Aristides and ameinias in the 8 marker. I Had thought before it that I'd get C/D but now hopefully an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Section B was pretty decent - had considered both the 10- and 8-markers beforehand so fairly relieved!
Reply 14
Big day tomorrow! I have not learnt my Euripides yet, I think I should start that soon
Reply 15
Yeah, ****. I haven't learnt my text for tomorrow either

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone find it? I thought in general it was fine, the 8 marker and that question about how Hector comforted Andromache was a bit weird though!
Reply 17
Original post by jubjubbird01
How did everyone find it? I thought in general it was fine, the 8 marker and that question about how Hector comforted Andromache was a bit weird though!

It was alright, seemed like there were a lot of little 4 markers about style though. Reckon I've got a good score in that, my 10 marker was amazing (in my opinion :tongue:)!
Anyone else doing the language on Monday?
Reply 19
Original post by jubjubbird01
Anyone else doing the language on Monday?

Yep, absolutely dreading it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending