The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommyjw
Yep. Welbeck is the new Heskey.

Except the different types of player they are.

And the different strengths they have.

And the different roles within a team they have.

And the different ways they play

But other than that, they are exactly the same right?

Look, I know that mate. I've clearly watched both of them play before.
But your response at first was basically a dig, saying that heskey was a great player and that he's an idiot in response to 'welbeck is the new heskey.' All you did was try to wind him up with asinine comments when you could have just said what welbeck brings to the team and why he should start over someone like sturridge/milner/agbonlahor.
If Welbeck and Cleverley played for anyone else i would love to see what Tommy would say about them :lol:

He is so defensive about every single United player. Just a bit sad isn't it.
Reply 7722
Original post by Tommyjw
Like Welbecks 5 goals in 5 shots for England?

Sturridge is a better goalscorer., that doesn't make him a better player. There are many things Welbeck is simply better than Sturridge at.

name them?
Original post by Wizzard1
name them?

The first one is running around the pitch like a headless chicken for 90 minutes. The second, well, there isn't one.
Original post by Wizzard1
name them?

Welbeck is much better at holding up the ball. Better at pressuring defences off the ball and winning the ball back in the final third because of it. Considerably better in the air both defensively and offensively, is generally a better tackler overall, and has a better workrate overall.

I wouldnt say there is much between them in terms of normal non-creative passing ability. Neither are amazing at it.

Welbeck is technically better at keeping the ball in tight situations, but Sturridge is technically better at getting the ball past others.

Sturridge is a better finisher which is clear.

I reckon he is also probably a better creator of goals too, but it's hard to tell when they both haven't spent a massive amount of time in the same positions to compare. He isn't as good as Welbeck at general linking up across the pitch, generally because he can't keep the ball as well as him, but is better at it in the box.. as general movement, drop of the shoulders etc, in my mind is better than strength when you need to pop a shot or pass off.

There isn't much of a pace difference but Sturridge is also better when running with the ball with purpose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
Welbeck is much better at holding up the ball. Better at pressuring defences off the ball and winning the ball back in the final third because of it. Considerably better in the air both defensively and offensively, is generally a better tackler overall, and has a better workrate overall.

I wouldnt say there is much between them in terms of normal non-creative passing ability. Neither are amazing at it.

Welbeck is technically better at keeping the ball in tight situations, but Sturridge is technically better at getting the ball past others.

I reckon he is also probably a better creator of goals too, but it's hard to tell when they both haven't spent a massive amount of time in the same positions to compare. He isn't as good as Welbeck at general linking up across the pitch, generally because he can't keep the ball as well as him.

There isn't much of a pace difference but Sturridge is also better when running with the ball with purpose.

Fair post that highlights bother player's assets.
Reply 7726
That Jake Livermore has played for England and Kevin Nolan hasn't is truly tragic.
Original post by Tommyjw

I reckon he is also probably a better creator of goals too, but it's hard to tell when they both haven't spent a massive amount of time in the same positions to compare. He isn't as good as Welbeck at general linking up across the pitch, generally because he can't keep the ball as well as him, but is better at it in the box.. as general movement, drop of the shoulders etc, in my mind is better than strength when you need to pop a shot or pass off.

I'd say that sturridge is pretty good at passing ability, for liverpool and even for chelsea when he does pick a pass, he can do 30-40 yard long passes fairly easily even on the volley.

Although I agree with what you say. But tbh clearly we need a finisher more than welbeck. He's better in offering things in attack than defoe e.g., has the finishing ability so deserves a place over welbeck.
Its official, this monstrosity is the worst kit England will ever played with. Nike are utterly useless. At least the Umbro kits had a bit a definition and class

England's Next Kit.png
Reply 7729
Original post by sevchenko
Its official, this monstrosity is the worst kit England will ever played with. Nike are utterly useless. At least the Umbro kits had a bit a definition and class

England's Next Kit.png

I think I had one of those when I was 2, minus the Nike tick.
Reply 7730

England's Next Kit.png

It's a Germany kit :rofl2:

What were they thinking!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its does look like a goddamn German kit, the blue is clearly too dark and there is no red.
lol does look German were my first thoughts. It's better than those horrid umbro kits. Hopefully you'll have a Red away kit again.
I've just seen the goalkeeper kit and it sickened me, its the bog standard generic Nike goalkeeper kit they hand out to the **** teams they don't bother designing kits for with an England logo on it.
Reply 7734

England's Next Kit.png

Looks like a USA kit.

Don't like it.

Should have put the badge in gold as well to celebrate the 150th anniversary.
Ox is still crap, Johnson is still crap, Lampard still loses the ball all the time, our CBs have got noticeably worse since Terry and Rio are no more, Defoe is lazy as **** and makes no attempt at getting on the end of crosses, didnt really expect much else.
Original post by Tommyjw
Ox is still crap, Johnson is still crap, Lampard still loses the ball all the time, our CBs have got noticeably worse since Terry and Rio are no more, Defoe is lazy as **** and makes no attempt at getting on the end of crosses, didnt really expect much else.

I like how you didn't criticise any United players, Rooney in particular :rofl:
Original post by TheInvincibles14

To be honest, that post seemed pretty reasonable. Thought Ox was at least halfway decent outside of his penalty area touches and not shutting down Coleman for the goal, but that's a good chunk of his game.
Original post by TheInvincibles14

I know right. Sturridge, Hart, Cole, Baines, Milner, Walcott, Foster. Thats a lot of United players right there. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Carrick was the best England player on the pitch. Rooney was the best offensive player for us, by a distance, and Jones was multiple times better than Johnson when he came on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Loat
To be honest, that post seemed pretty reasonable. Thought Ox was at least halfway decent outside of his penalty area touches and not shutting down Coleman for the goal, but that's a good chunk of his game.

Rooney and Carrick didn't do anything of significance either. Think it's unfair to criticise individual players, it was just a typical lethargic England performance.

Latest