The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Nole is currently playing and I am in two minds. He is my least favourite in the top 4, so would love to see him get upset but at the same time, I know that he is the only hope of taking Nadal out, thus increasing Roger's chance of winning, so I hope he takes Nadal out in the semis, tiring himself in the process and thus allowing Fed to capitalize on his weak corpse. :tongue:
Goffin had to win the first set to stand any chance. Really disappointing finish to the set from Goffin's point of view after playing so well throughout the set.
Goffin at least frustrated Djokovic in that game.
Reply 2023
Come on Goffin. If djoker wins is he going to win RG?...:frown:
Reply 2024
Original post by ubi1
Come on Goffin. If djoker wins is he going to win RG?...:frown:

No, but I hope he defeats Nadal and in the process tires himself, giving Federer the perfect opportunity to capitalize on his weak corpse , not that Federer can't beat a healthy Djokovic. It'll just be a bit easier. :tongue:
Reply 2025
Original post by Roger1
No, but I hope he defeats Nadal and in the process tires himself, giving Federer the perfect opportunity to capitalize on his weak corpse , not that Federer can't beat a healthy Djokovic. It'll just be a bit easier. :tongue:

I changed my mind after watching the monte carlo final highlights djokovic played so good, so many ppl are saying hes going to do it this year.:frown:
Reply 2026
Original post by Roger1

I think any Federer fan would be supporting Djok - I can't see anyone else beating Rafa, but I can see Fed taking Djok.
Reply 2027
Original post by ubi1
I changed my mind after watching the monte carlo final highlights djokovic played so good, so many ppl are saying hes going to do it this year.:frown:

Yeah he has been somewhat of a hit and a miss this season, but he always seem to rejuvenate himself when playing Nadal. Even in Monte Carlo, he wasn't exactly great, nearly losing to Youhny and other B listers, but raised his level against Fognini and Nadal, so lets hope of the same this time around against Nadal. :tongue:
Reply 2028
Original post by Slumpy
I think any Federer fan would be supporting Djok - I can't see anyone else beating Rafa, but I can see Fed taking Djok.

Yeah, unfortunately I have to support him, so he better not disappoint. :tongue:
i could see del potro being able to beat nadal (other than djokovic) here in RG, but obviously he's out injured
Original post by Jack93o
i could see del potro being able to beat nadal (other than djokovic) here in RG, but obviously he's out injured

Nadal just looked beatable on court yesterday, so I'm sure any big hitters in his draw + Djokovic would have had their eyes glued on that match, trying to come up with a "perfect" game plan against him. Del Potro could, but then again if he hasn't been able to beat Roger or Novak on clay, I'm not convinced he'd be able to beat Nadal over best of 5.
I see our friend Mr Ferrer has sailed through to round 3! As well as Cilic who eased through too.
Reply 2032
Come on Monfils! Keep it going. Rogi also looking good and Caro struggling as always against an opponent whose grunt is worse than Sharapova and Vika's. She sounds like she is spitting out some words. Beyond pathetic! :tongue:
Monfils you beauty! Through in 4 sets against Gulbis.

Ferrer easily through 6-2, 6-1, 6-3, and Federer also coming through 6-2, 6-1, 6-1. He didn't really need to do anything special today, although there were some moments of brilliance and he looks solid overall. Benneteau up next for him (who's played a tough 5-setter).
Should be interesting. Benneteau has given Federer plenty of problems in the past.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Should be interesting. Benneteau has given Federer plenty of problems in the past.

Could be. Other factors that play a part:

1. Federer is feeling confident and is well-rested, having dropped just 11 games so far this tournament.
2. Benneteau will feel the opposite, having just scraped through a tough 5-setter and having lost the 4th set 6-0 in that.
3. Clay is Benneteau's worst surface nowadays - his only two wins over Roger have come on indoor hard courts.
4. Benneteau may actually not be helped by the crowd too much despite being French, seeing as they love Roger even more
5. Fed won their only 2 GS meetings: RG 2008 6-4, 7-5, 7-5 and Wimby 2012 4-6, 6-7, 6-2, 7-6, 6-1.

As a result, I would like to venture to predict a Federer win in 3 (tight-ish) sets. If Benneteau is playing really well, then 4 sets potentially
Reply 2036

Only on indoor courts. Fed has cruised past him else where.
Original post by Krish4791
Could be. Other factors that play a part:

1. Federer is feeling confident and is well-rested, having dropped just 11 games so far this tournament.
2. Benneteau will feel the opposite, having just scraped through a tough 5-setter and having lost the 4th set 6-0 in that.
3. Clay is Benneteau's worst surface nowadays - his only two wins over Roger have come on indoor hard courts.
4. Benneteau may actually not be helped by the crowd too much despite being French, seeing as they love Roger even more
5. Fed won their only 2 GS meetings: RG 2008 6-4, 7-5, 7-5 and Wimby 2012 4-6, 6-7, 6-2, 7-6, 6-1.

As a result, I would like to venture to predict a Federer win in 3 (tight-ish) sets. If Benneteau is playing really well, then 4 sets potentially

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect a Federer win, in 3 or 4 like yourself.

------------------------------

You guys seen what Gulbis said: http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/05/gulbis-big-4-are-boring-interviews/47674/#.UaZnPdKOS26 :lol:

He's basically said what I've been saying for a long time and alluded to the other day when I was talking about the likes of Connors, McEnroe and Lendl being more entertaining characters.
Don't get me wrong, I fully expect a Federer win, in 3 or 4 like yourself.

------------------------------

You guys seen what Gulbis said: http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/05/gulbis-big-4-are-boring-interviews/47674/#.UaZnPdKOS26 :lol:

He's basically said what I've been saying for a long time and alluded to the other day when I was talking about the likes of Connors, McEnroe and Lendl being more entertaining characters.

Haha - Gulbis is hilarious! :biggrin:
He's the complete opposite of Nadal in many respects. Nadal may go into a press conference after having humiliated someone for the loss of 1/2 games, and then say the other played well, or he'll say "I'm sorry for today."
Gulbis, on the other hand, is the type of person who will declare that he was the better player in a match that he lost, and is not afraid to speak his mind.
Other younger players like Tomic or Jerzy may be overly confident at first, but they'll mellow as they get older. Gulbis is one charismatic guy who will never change - it's good to have someone like this on the tou, even if e's getting a lot of hate after comments like this.
Not many matches excite me tomorrow. I'm interested to see Pouille vs. Dimitrov. Santoro was speaking very highly of Pouille the other day

Latest