The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO2 ~ 3rd June 2013 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

So are we required to know transpiration?
Reply 641
Original post by Tha Realest
You can ask someone you know who has the green Edexcel AS Biology Student Book : if they will lend you the active book CD that comes with it ; this is a electronic copy of the book on CD.

i have the student book, i didnt get a CD with it..:frown:
if you have the CD can you like email it to me or something??
Original post by examss
i have the student book, i didnt get a CD with it..:frown:
if you have the CD can you like email it to me or something??

I don't have the CD : we got a given a copy each ; but no CD.

Oh right so you have the Student Book - so why do you want the CD ??
I thought you didn't have a copy of the book + wanted it online without buying the book. The CD doesn't have anything else other than an electronic version.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 643
I don't have the CD : we got a given a copy each ; but no CD.

Oh right so you have the Student Book - so why do you want the CD ??
I thought you didn't have a copy of the book + wanted an online without buying the book. The CD doesn't have anything else other than an electronic version.

i have the green student book, but i want the revision guide book..
Reply 644
Does anyone know what point 16 means on the specification?
Original post by Daniel Atieh
do u thnk that going through assasin notes and papers from 2009-2013 is enough for an A?

Well for unit 1 it worked wonders (assassin is a boss) So naturally its enough to get an A in it. However, It is only good enough for the knowledge-based questions and the experiments but not the HSW questions(the like graphs) is up to you.
Original post by examss
i have the green student book, but i want the revision guide book..

Unfortunately there is no electronic copy of the revision guide : you would have to purchase it ; or ask a friend to lend you - if they are revising from the student book themselves.

Revision Guides = more condensed , but could potentially miss things out.

~ Good Luck :cool:
Original post by Rickrossmmg
Is it always and only a mutation that can gives rise to advantageous alleles?

Nope, there may be a neutral allele present in a gene pool which may become advantageous after the selection pressure occurs, such as the grey squirrels genes.. it would be neutral in its own original habitt, but when competition occured between the grey squirrel and the red one due to the occupation of the same niche, the grey squirrel's genes that coded for it's colour became advantageous the the red squirrel's red one as it could blend into its envirnment.

obviously it wasn't just one gene or just genes that gave it its colour, but its the idea that the fact that it was grey became advantageous when there was competition.
Unfortunately there is no electronic copy of the revision guide : you would have to purchase it ; or ask a friend to lend you - if they are revising from the student book themselves.

Revision Guides = more condensed , but could potentially miss things out.

~ Good Luck :cool:

If you search the internet close enough (with a basic google search and a few clicks) you can find the revision guide as a PDF and i can't supply links as that is against forum rules.
Original post by CoolRunner
If you search the internet close enough (with a basic google search and a few clicks) you can find the revision guide as a PDF and i can't supply links as that is against forum rules.

can u help me with the zoos protecting thingy? i cant understand it much...like captive breeding and all that
mynameisntbobk
For questions with 2 marks...can i write 3 points? and if it's of 2 marks and i gave 3 (2 correct and 1 wrong) ..will they gv me the 2 marks?
Also for astrik questions i used to write all in bulleted points...is okay?
mynameisntbobk
For questions with 2 marks...can i write 3 points? and if it's of 2 marks and i gave 3 (2 correct and 1 wrong) ..will they gv me the 2 marks?
Also for astrik questions i used to write all in bulleted points...is okay?

you would still get the marks if you've got the marking points even if one point you've mentioned is wrong
and I believe it is okay to bullet point, but be clear and concise
Original post by mynameisntbobk
you would still get the marks if you've got the marking points even if one point you've mentioned is wrong
and I believe it is okay to bullet point, but be clear and concise

so any further expectations for topic 4...like do u thnk they ll bring abt zoos and all tht....i guess i asked u before for topic 3:smile:
can u help me with the zoos protecting thingy? i cant understand it much...like captive breeding and all that

Ok :smile:

How zoos help protect endangered species:

1) Zoos use a breeding program (which we call captive breeding) in which they capture an endangered species of animals and they keep them in zoos/places where they are given food, shelter in which they are kept safe from poachers and other threats against them (such as habitat destruction etc.)

2) Secondly, another aim of the captive breeding program is to increase the population of an endangered species as they are at risk of extinction. This is where genetics take a part in this. Zoos artificially select a male and female pair (from the endangered species) and let them mate. The criteria whether a male and female pair mate depends on:

a) If they genetically unrelated (so this can reduce inbreeding)

3) Zoos also only let endangered species mate with a different male/female to increase the gene pool

4) Zoos also might use genetic testing, to test whether two mates are suitable to produce offspring, again to reduce inbreeding.

5) Zoos record all this using a studbook (literally a note pad of details) which they record the gender, time and date and location where all the endangered species are in the zoo, again for organisational purposes

6) Zoos also allow endangered species to be transferred to other zoos where they can mate with even more individuals, thus increasing genetic diversity.

I hope that helps.
so any further expectations for topic 4...like do u thnk they ll bring abt zoos and all tht....i guess i asked u before for topic 3:smile:

I think there'll be a lot on zoos. It hasn't come up for 2 exams in a row
Original post by CoolRunner
Ok :smile:

How zoos help protect endangered species:

1) Zoos use a breeding program (which we call captive breeding) in which they capture an endangered species of animals and they keep them in zoos/places where they are given food, shelter in which they are kept safe from poachers and other threats against them (such as habitat destruction etc.)

2) Secondly, another aim of the captive breeding program is to increase the population of an endangered species as they are at risk of extinction. This is where genetics take a part in this. Zoos artificially select a male and female pair (from the endangered species) and let them mate. The criteria whether a male and female pair mate depends on:

a) If they genetically unrelated (so this can reduce inbreeding)

3) Zoos also only let endangered species mate with a different male/female to increase the gene pool

4) Zoos also might use genetic testing, to test whether two mates are suitable to produce offspring, again to reduce inbreeding.

5) Zoos record all this using a studbook (literally a note pad of details) which they record the gender, time and date and location where all the endangered species are in the zoo, again for organisational purposes

6) Zoos also allow endangered species to be transferred to other zoos where they can mate with even more individuals, thus increasing genetic diversity.

I hope that helps.

I really appreciate that ....thanks a lot....it surely helped...i ll print it !!
I think there'll be a lot on zoos. It hasn't come up for 2 exams in a row

i hope so...haha am actually having 2 bio2 exams! jan 2013 on 2nd of june and jun 2013 on 3rd!!
getting 65+ in the jan one can guarantee me an A in the jun one?
Nope, there may be a neutral allele present in a gene pool which may become advantageous after the selection pressure occurs, such as the grey squirrels genes.. it would be neutral in its own original habitt, but when competition occured between the grey squirrel and the red one due to the occupation of the same niche, the grey squirrel's genes that coded for it's colour became advantageous the the red squirrel's red one as it could blend into its envirnment.

obviously it wasn't just one gene or just genes that gave it its colour, but its the idea that the fact that it was grey became advantageous when there was competition.

Yh that makes more sense. Thanks
i hope so...haha am actually having 2 bio2 exams! jan 2013 on 2nd of june and jun 2013 on 3rd!!
getting 65+ in the jan one can guarantee me an A in the jun one?

if you took the exam in Jan, and you're retaking in June, then it probably won't affect your June result, just aim for an A in this exam and you should be fine

Original post by Rickrossmmg
Yh that makes more sense. Thanks

no problem :smile:
if you took the exam in Jan, and you're retaking in June, then it probably won't affect your June result, just aim for an A in this exam and you should be fine

no problem :smile:

So what would you say is the best way to get an A in this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending