The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by sarah.102
Also guys, latest confusion what is potential difference? I understand that it is the measure of energy transfer in between 2 points in an electric circuit or it drives the circuit by forcing the current to flow but still I feel a bit confused. Say if I calculate the potential difference and get 3V what does that actually mean?

3V means that 3J is work done on a coulomb (bunch of electrons) of charge when passing through a component.
Also guys, latest confusion what is potential difference? I understand that it is the measure of energy transfer in between 2 points in an electric circuit or it drives the circuit by forcing the current to flow but still I feel a bit confused. Say if I calculate the potential difference and get 3V what does that actually mean?

The 3V is the energy transferred from the source of energy, EMF. 3V from however much the cell provides to the circuit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by krisshP
3V means that 3J is work done on a coulomb (bunch of electrons) of charge when passing through a component.

Yaaa^^
Original post by B-Stacks
The 3V is the energy transferred from the source of energy, EMF. 3V from however much the cell provides to the circuit.

Thats helped my understanding too, thanksss!

A potential difference of 3Volts means 3 joules is given to every coloumb of charge, to push it around a circuit. Now if you used 10 volts, you'd give 10 joules to every coloumb, so the current would get a bigger 'push'. But it's important to remember PD is NOT a force, it's just a transfer of energy.
Reply 145
I dont understand part (b). On the mark scheme it says that after doing E=hf you have to divide Power(10W) by th energy found. why?
Captura.PNG
Original post by KBenzema
I dont understand part (b). On the mark scheme it says that after doing E=hf you have to divide Power(10W) by th energy found. why?
Captura.PNG

If you don't remember it it's also on the formula sheet, E = hf, the energy of a photon is equal to Plank's constant times its frequency. I've put the rest in spoiler tags, see if you understand it more before looking at the next hint.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Can somebody please explain to me polarisation? It baffles me for some reason. Reading more and more into it has confused me.
Can somebody please explain to me polarisation? It baffles me for some reason. Reading more and more into it has confused me.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
x

iirc Malus's law isn't in the Edexcel syllabus, but I could be wrong. May still be useful though :dontknow:
Reply 150
Original post by justinawe
iirc Malus's law isn't in the Edexcel syllabus, but I could be wrong. May still be useful though :dontknow:

Who's law?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
Reply 151

read this
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308352&p=42866490
I think I have discovered the angriest Physics lecturer ever.
[video="youtube;luXW6AFSloA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luXW6AFSloA&list=PLEEAF7F80E205E50E[/video]
Reply 153
i have a big doubt on part (a)(iii)
why do i get a different answer depending on the formula i use. im baffled.
P=IV : (0.75)*3=2.25w
P=I^2R : (0.75)^2*3.6 = 2.025w
P=V^2/R : (3)^2/3.6 = 2.5w
Captura.PNG
Reply 154
Can somebody help me with section a question 7 on paper January 2012 unit 2 please? I don't get it at all

V=IR
I=V/R

There's constant pd so surely as R increases, I decreases linearly, giving B as the answer?

Thanks
Reply 155
In January 2012 paper unit 2 q18a, they said core - cladding. Does this means that light travels from core into cladding, or light travels from cladding? HOW do you know?

Thanks
Original post by krisshP

Difference between pdf/voltage and emf
Original post by avipsita
Who's law?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well, as I said, I'm pretty sure it's not in the Edexcel syllabus.

It's basically the equation the guy I quoted posted.
Reply 158
Original post by Daniel Atieh
Difference between pdf/voltage and emf

:confused:?
Original post by krisshP
:confused:?

lol
better way:
1) define voltage
2) define pdf
3) define emf

haha yea it looks weird ..i just noticed