The Student Room Group

Baroque Music Society! (B-SOC) Mark I

For all those who love Baroque music.

Chat away! :biggrin:

Oh, and join here. :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pretty uninitiated :colondollar: But I love a bit of Vivaldi!

I'd appreciate any recommendations :^_^:
Reply 2
Original post by tjf8
Pretty uninitiated :colondollar: But I love a bit of Vivaldi!

I'd appreciate any recommendations :^_^:

That's okay, we all have to start somewhere!

What do you want to know?
Reply 3
Original post by Mazzini
That's okay, we all have to start somewhere!

What do you want to know?

Well, who are you favourite composers?
Reply 4
Original post by tjf8
Well, who are you favourite composers?

Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Corelli, Purcell, most of them really :biggrin:

I really like this recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No.4:

If I had to get rid of all music ever written and keep one composer's works, it would be JS Bach, simply because the harmonies are amazing, plus he wrote a lot so there's a huge amount of variety.
Reply 5
Original post by Mazzini
Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Corelli, Purcell, most of them really :biggrin:

I really like this recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No.4:

If I had to get rid of all music ever written and keep one composer's works, it would be JS Bach, simply because the harmonies are amazing, plus he wrote a lot so there's a huge amount of variety.

Thanks, I'll check it out properly once I've got some revision done... :smile: My family aren't big into it or even slightly musical; I've kind of stumbled into it myself really, so it's good to hear what other people like!
Bach's keyboard music. I could sit there all day every day and play it. Unfortunately, despite what many people seem to think, doing a music degree doesn't allow for that.
Reply 7
Original post by tjf8
Thanks, I'll check it out properly once I've got some revision done... :smile: My family aren't big into it or even slightly musical; I've kind of stumbled into it myself really, so it's good to hear what other people like!

Ah right! Well I could sit here and lecture you for hours about Baroque performance practice (how to play in a Baroque style) but I won't :biggrin:

Original post by paddlesnap
Bach's keyboard music. I could sit there all day every day and play it. Unfortunately, despite what many people seem to think, doing a music degree doesn't allow for that.

I love it too :love: :five:

Original post by Kirboz
Caldara is god-tier. Check out this passacaglia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0u0oTevVCs

Have you heard Biber's Rosary Sonatas? They're so pretty :zomg:

Until 1:23 - that's the best version I've heard so far. I went to see her in concert last year, it was amazing.

http://www.aam.co.uk/#/concerts/2012/musical-revolutions-rise-of-the-concerto-27-02-12.aspx
Reply 8
Original post by Mazzini
Ah right! Well I could sit here and lecture you for hours about Baroque performance practice (how to play in a Baroque style) but I won't :biggrin:

I'm very grateful :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by tjf8
I'm very grateful :wink:

:teehee:

Basically if you hear two recordings, generally if it's a fast piece/movement and it's lighter and quicker, then it's likely to be played on Baroque instruments (especially if the pitch is lower). If it's more stately and heavier and played at a higher pitch, it's likely to be played on modern instruments. There's quite a difference between Baroque instruments and modern instruments...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Lecture over :colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by Mazzini
:teehee:

Basically if you hear two recordings, generally if it's a fast piece/movement and it's lighter and quicker, then it's likely to be played on Baroque instruments (especially if the pitch is lower). If it's more stately and heavier and played at a higher pitch, it's likely to be played on modern instruments. There's quite a difference between Baroque instruments and modern instruments...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Lecture over :colondollar:

Hmm, that's all very interesting :holmes: I'm definitely more of a listener than a player of music but I'll be looking out for it :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by tjf8
Hmm, that's all very interesting :holmes: I'm definitely more of a listener than a player of music but I'll be looking out for it :tongue:

Personally I prefer 'historically authentic' performances :tongue:

The music makes so much more sense when played on period instruments :beard:
Reply 12
Original post by Mazzini
Personally I prefer 'historically authentic' performances :tongue:

The music makes so much more sense when played on period instruments :beard:

Yeah well I guess it's all about the authenticity :cool:
Reply 13
Original post by tjf8
Yeah well I guess it's all about the authenticity :cool:

Just let me know if I go off on a tangent ranting about 1950s yucky yucky modern recordings (the 'authentic' movement started in the '60s and '70s). :colondollar: :teehee:
Reply 14
Although I'm more of a renaissance man...Bach motets sung one to a part are just incredible!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Hazbo
Although I'm more of a renaissance man...Bach motets sung one to a part are just incredible!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who can't love a bit of Bach? :biggrin:
So what do ya'll play and listen to?
Reply 17
Original post by keromedic
So what do ya'll play and listen to?

I play the violin, I wish I had a baroque fiddle too, but I can't afford one :frown:

I also wish I had a harpsichord :sad:

I listen to most stuff, Bach is my favourite though :yep:

You? :smile:
Original post by Mazzini
I play the violin, I wish I had a baroque fiddle too, but I can't afford one :frown:

I also wish I had a harpsichord :sad:

I listen to most stuff, Bach is my favourite though :yep:

You? :smile:

Le piano but hopefully le harpsichord as well at some point. I'm only at early intermediate level tho'.
I like both handel and bach.
Reply 19
Original post by keromedic
Le piano but hopefully le harpsichord as well at some point. I'm only at early intermediate level tho'.
I like both handel and bach.

Nice :biggrin: I wish I had better keyboard skills.

Quick Reply

Latest