The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hi ,everyone i have an question regarding the jAN 2013 paper the magnification question 1d i measured the lenght of the arrow and i got 11 mm which is wrong ? can anyone helpppppp pls lol
Original post by Jimmy20002012
How haemoglobin loads oxygen in the lungs and unloads in a tissue cell?:

Firstly you a low partial pressure in the lungs, so haemoglobin will have a high affinity for oxygen, so oxygen therefore binds to the haemoglobin molecule by alosteric inhibition. Oxyhemoglobin is now formed, when it reaches the reaches the respiring tissues, you have a high partial pressure, therefore you have a low affinity of oxygen. Consequently, oxyhemoglobin unload the oxygen to the respiring tissues which means cellular respiration occurs. This means that carbon dioxide is produced, which happens to lower the ph of the blood, causing a higher partial pressure, so the cells would rapidly need oxygen to be unloaded from haemoglobin, in order to compensate for this production of carbon dioxide.

This should get you 6 marks, probably need to put half of what I put :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you !
Does Independent segregation occur in the first division and second?
Reply 1023
Original post by Hayley-27
do we need to know the process of ventilation in fish? or just gas exchange in fish?

I'm also confused about this because we did learn the whole process of ventilation in class and the gas exchange/countercurrent mechanism, however it isn't in the CGP revision guide (the process) and the spec just says - "across the gills of a fish (gill lamellae and filaments including the countercurrent principle)"
Reply 1024
Original post by Suzanna5678
Does Independent segregation occur in the first division and second?

first, i think :confused:
Original post by Hayley-27
11mm isn't the correct length, it should be in the region of 23mm, which you then multiple by 1000 to convert it to micrometres, then you divide your length by the actual length of 48um. And i got an answer of 479.2 times (using 23000)

hey thank ,but dont you just measure the arrow
Can someone explain formation of tissue fluid to me please? i've read it a couple of times and i don't understand it. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1027
Original post by Tee Logan x
Can someone explain formation of tissue fluid to me please? i've read it a couple of times and i don't understand it. Thank you :smile:

at the arteriole end the pressure inside the capillaries is greater than the pressure in the tissue fluid, the difference in pressure forces fluid out of the capillaries and into the spaces surrounding the cells (this is tissue fluid)

as the fluid leaves capillaries the pressure reduces, so at the venule end pressure is much lower. Also the WP is lower than the WP in tissue fluid and so water moves back into the capillary by osmosis.
Reply 1028
Can you say "haemoglobin unloads where there's higher pCO2 "or is it "higher concentration of CO2"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by homefind
first, i think :confused:

Ahhh everyone is saying different things :frown:
Right, for question 5ci) on the June 2010 paper, could anyone possibly explain to me why it's only crossing over? I thought it was independent segregation, but apparently the mark scheme says that stating this negates the mark! Thanks in advance!
Guys is it just me or is the Jan 11 paper particularly nasty :s-smilie:
Reply 1032
Original post by OllieWolly
Right, for question 5ci) on the June 2010 paper, could anyone possibly explain to me why it's only crossing over? I thought it was independent segregation, but apparently the mark scheme says that stating this negates the mark! Thanks in advance!

isn't it just because crossing over gives rise to different alleles?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by homefind
isn't it just because crossing gives rise to different alleles?

Oh... I thought independent segregation did too? As both are responsible for variation? I'm slightly confused to say the least :frown:
Reply 1034
Oh... I thought independent segregation did too? As both are responsible for variation? I'm slightly confused to say the least :frown:

ye i know they both cause variation, im not sure now!!! haha oh god :confused:
Hey guys!

Can someone help me out on the Jan 2013 paper on question 8ci?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1036

i think it is just because the two chromosomes at the top would not be able to produce the four gametes by independent segregation, it could only be from crossing over
Reply 1037
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Hey guys!

82/100 = 0.82
0.82x24=19.68
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Hey guys!

All you do is 82% x 24! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackTheNerd
Like this?

basically like this:

IMG_0120[1].jpg

Latest

Trending

Trending