The Student Room Group

Post your unpopular opinions...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neon-Soldier32
Thanks. I think this thread is turning quite conservative! It should be an excuse for people so slag off others, balling at them about how their opinion is wrong or saying about how being a cook is woman's profession. Or is that just my house...

Some of the stuff being said in this thread is disgusting in my opinion, fair enough everyone is entitled to their opinions but every single opinion that I asked reasons for I got ignored :frown:
Original post by SophieSmall
Some of the stuff being said in this thread is disgusting in my opinion, fair enough everyone is entitled to their opinions but every single opinion that I asked reasons for I got ignored :frown:

Some people just like to be controversial and purposely offensive whilst simultaneously being blind to their ignorance.

...and others are just tw@ts!
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
Some people just like to be controversial and purposely offensive whilst simultaneously being blind to their ignorance.

...and others are just tw@ts!

You've got that right, but I was genuinely interested in why they were bigoted b*stards :frown:
Original post by Kinky Slinky
Because it wouldn't work. It's very easy to grow marijuana anywhere and difficult to find it and tax it. People will just grow it and do it in their homes. Policemen won't be going round people's houses searching for the weed and putting taxes on it.

The black market will just take over anyway and people will smoke it 1000x more than people do now which makes it worse for your health. Having it illegal makes people more reluctant to do it than if it was taxed. And taxing it wouldn't work anyway, it wouldn't bring in as much tax money as cigarettes. So it's not really worth it to the government, but other governments see it differently that's why it's now legal in some American states.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've stated some fair points, imagine it from the smokers opinion though; having the product for free, you grow it self in your own home, buy whatever equipment and just smoke it on your own - the government makes no money, maybe one reason it's illegal?

That's what some people think, look up the benefits of hemp,

True, police won't "waste" resources searching for weed - something they shouldn't be doing anyway...

Making something illegal won't make it go, away - it's just run by criminals (and I don't know anyone who doesn't smoke because it's illegal, or won't because it's illegal) and while people might smoke it more, it takes around 15,000 weed joints in under twenty minutes to overdose on the chemical THC, PLUS Marijuana has proved to help people in pain, destroy some cancerous cells and even reduce the chances of lung cancer

Rappers can sing about it, movie stars can boast about it (and even smoke on air) why are they "allowed to smoke or boast about it".. something that will influence teenagers and other members of public to start smoking, then when they're caught they have a warning on their CRB or even arrest.

And finally cigarettes and alcohol (maybe even coffee) are legal and even worse for your body compared to weed, they're all legal and old in our supermarkets - tobacco and alcohol are taxed "to deter people"...
Original post by R1C3W1N3
You've stated some fair points, imagine it from the smokers opinion though; having the product for free, you grow it self in your own home, buy whatever equipment and just smoke it on your own - the government makes no money, maybe one reason it's illegal?

That's what some people think, look up the benefits of hemp,

True, police won't "waste" resources searching for weed - something they shouldn't be doing anyway...

Making something illegal won't make it go, away - it's just run by criminals (and I don't know anyone who doesn't smoke because it's illegal, or won't because it's illegal) and while people might smoke it more, it takes around 15,000 weed joints in under twenty minutes to overdose on the chemical THC, PLUS Marijuana has proved to help people in pain, destroy some cancerous cells and even reduce the chances of lung cancer

Rappers can sing about it, movie stars can boast about it (and even smoke on air) why are they "allowed to smoke or boast about it".. something that will influence teenagers and other members of public to start smoking, then when they're caught they have a warning on their CRB or even arrest.

And finally cigarettes and alcohol (maybe even coffee) are legal and even worse for your body compared to weed, they're all legal and old in our supermarkets - tobacco and alcohol are taxed "to deter people"...

I feel you were slightly high when writing this because some things just don't make sense :P

Smoking marijuana never proved to cure cancer. You can't say marijuana is completely healthy. Cigarettes used to not be so taxed at one point in time and people thought they were the best things ever until people started dying of all sorts of cancers.

It's only recent discoveries and new information that has helped us understand more about cigarettes and why they're seriously damaging to your health. The same thing just hasn't been done for marijuana yet. Maybe in a few years time there might be deaths and illnesses caused from weed too. We just don't have enough information about it yet. Even though frequent smokers just can't wait to tell the world how you can make walls out of it or whatnot, the truth is, no one knows about marijuana well enough.

Even if it isn't healthy, yes taxing is one way to deter people but it won't be as effective. People will not be put off by taxes because why pay for it when you can grow it yourself?

Cigarettes and alcohol have been around for hundreds of years and we know all there is to know about the consequences of those and we can teach children about it, but marijuana is only a recently popular thing and we need to research and observe the consequences before arriving at a solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 625
Miranda isn't funny :colonhash:
Original post by minthumbugs
People have said they were afraid to tell me they were gay because they didnt know how I'd react and thought I'd stop speaking to them.

How awful. :frown: I remember friends telling me they were gay. In the nicest way possible, I didn't care. It didn't change my opinion of them, nor does it affect our friendship in any way.
Reply 627
Original post by dav22
Miranda isn't funny :colonhash:

This. Have you ever seen her in Lead Balloon? She was annoying.
Reply 628
It's about Lee Rigby but I'll wait till next week to post it.
Blur are better than Oasis, Coldplay are ****ing terrible, the new Daft Punk album is poor and skinny girls are actually more attractive than curvy lasses.
Reply 630
I don't care for Scotland. If they want their independence back let them have it, along with their own currency, economy and government
I feel you were slightly high when writing this because some things just don't make sense :P

Smoking marijuana never proved to cure cancer. You can't say marijuana is completely healthy. Cigarettes used to not be so taxed at one point in time and people thought they were the best things ever until people started dying of all sorts of cancers.

It's only recent discoveries and new information that has helped us understand more about cigarettes and why they're seriously damaging to your health. The same thing just hasn't been done for marijuana yet. Maybe in a few years time there might be deaths and illnesses caused from weed too. We just don't have enough information about it yet. Even though frequent smokers just can't wait to tell the world how you can make walls out of it or whatnot, the truth is, no one knows about marijuana well enough.

Even if it isn't healthy, yes taxing is one way to deter people but it won't be as effective. People will not be put off by taxes because why pay for it when you can grow it yourself?

Cigarettes and alcohol have been around for hundreds of years and we know all there is to know about the consequences of those and we can teach children about it, but marijuana is only a recently popular thing and we need to research and observe the consequences before arriving at a solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cannabis isn't a recently popular thing, people have been smoking it for centuries. It was extremely popular in the 60's and 70's. All the consequences of cannabis are known and they are shown not to be anywhere near as damaging as alcohol. I don't agree with the whole 'Cannabis is healthier for you than tobacco' because the majority of people mix weed with tobacco to smoke it!

Alcohol is taxed, yet people don't brew their own. People are lazy, they won't grow their own. The former leader of the Governments drug committee even said that cannabis isn't dangerous and he got sacked! The only reason cannabis is not legal is because of the label attached to it, most people see it as a 'dangerous illegal drug'. It would not go down well with the majority of society if the Government were to legalise it.
Reply 632
Most people get offended or at least disagree when I say this but, I believe babies are not cute in the slightest, not even my friend's kids or family members. Kids are just not cute at all to me.
Original post by MonsterMorris
Cannabis isn't a recently popular thing, people have been smoking it for centuries. It was extremely popular in the 60's and 70's. All the consequences of cannabis are known and they are shown not to be anywhere near as damaging as alcohol. I don't agree with the whole 'Cannabis is healthier for you than tobacco' because the majority of people mix weed with tobacco to smoke it!

Alcohol is taxed, yet people don't brew their own. People are lazy, they won't grow their own. The former leader of the Governments drug committee even said that cannabis isn't dangerous and he got sacked! The only reason cannabis is not legal is because of the label attached to it, most people see it as a 'dangerous illegal drug'. It would not go down well with the majority of society if the Government were to legalise it.

By 'recently' I did mean post 1900s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
By 'recently' I did mean post 1900s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, are you saying a hundred years isn't enough time to research it? :P
Original post by Geoff Peterson
FireScirocco1's hate list:

Well done, I think you just about covered all the bases :smile:

I don't consider stealing my money through taxation bringing up your kids.

The upper tax band in the UK is 32K; this is ridiculous. Why even work?

Single mothers are a modern day scourge on the UK. Every time i go out I see hundreds of them. All paid for by the taxpayer( (slavery).

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're a ****ing dumbass if you think that suddenly after the entire existence of cannabis with 0 deaths someone will die from it, you can't overdose on any of the active compounds in it. Get a grip. So much misinformation an ignorance surrounding the herb in the UK, it's pitiful.
Original post by FireScirocco1

Single mothers are a modern day scourge on the UK. Every time i go out I see hundreds of them. All paid for by the taxpayer( (slavery).

Many of these single mothers have good reason to be single mothers. Not all sleep around and have 5 kids by 5 different men.

And how do you know they're a single mother or that it's even their child and not their friends child? Unless you ask, you have no way of knowing.

I used to know someone who is a single parent. Her childrens' father was killed fighting for his country. Don't tar all single mothers with the same brush.
Original post by OU Student
Many of these single mothers have good reason to be single mothers. Not all sleep around and have 5 kids by 5 different men.

And how do you know they're a single mother or that it's even their child and not their friends child? Unless you ask, you have no way of knowing.

I used to know someone who is a single parent. Her childrens' father was killed fighting for his country. Don't tar all single mothers with the same brush.

If they have a good reason to be a single motehr then they can find a good reason to fund their lifestyle themselves and not tax me to pay for it. I abhore all these feminists and single mothers around these days.

I want to keep my money and don't care if they live in poverty.
Reply 639
Original post by Conzy210
Blur are better than Oasis

This shouldn't even be controversial. It's an objective fact.

come at me, Oasis fans.

Quick Reply

Latest