The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R.Holly226
Your essay was okay, needed some more AO2...

Kingston

Verdict was good- It means that he was found guilty so justice is achieved. If intoxication had negated the mens rea then this would present an "easy route to impunity" (Andrew Ashworth)
BUT Clarkson (I can't remember her first name) believes that "punishment is inappropriate" in the case of Kingston as he was the victim. It is not fair to punish him when he was not morally blameworthy.

Majewski

Janet Loveless argues that the Majewski rule is contrary to the principles of criminal liability; it ignores the concept of contemporaneity (that the Actus Reus and Mens Rea must occur at the same time). Usually, the recklessness in becoming intoxicated would occur before the offence is actually committed.

I think these are the two main cases for intoxication :smile:

Ah thank you for the feedback! I'm terrible at intoxication but have a feeling I should learn it just in case Q1 essays don't go in my favour (intoxication + intention/recklessness + robbery/burglary) would be disastrous questions for me :colondollar:
Original post by Ben1695
What topics have you predicted to come up and are you managing to revise everything? I'm just struggling to remember everything especially when it is only a week to the exam.

I think one of either Duress/intoxication/Attempts/Causation/Omissions will come up as Q1. Self defence, involuntary manslaughter and strict liability will 95% not be on as Q1 as they were on in January. I also have a feeling Coroners and Justice Act may come in either q1 or 2.

I started a while back but I'm still struggling a little. It's the problems and reforms which I don't like. I'm just going to spend the next week going through every chapter in my text book. :/
Reply 342
Im really struggling to remember everything lol
Original post by MonsterMorris
I think one of either Duress/intoxication/Attempts/Causation/Omissions will come up as Q1. Self defence, involuntary manslaughter and strict liability will 95% not be on as Q1 as they were on in January. I also have a feeling Coroners and Justice Act may come in either q1 or 2.

I started a while back but I'm still struggling a little. It's the problems and reforms which I don't like. I'm just going to spend the next week going through every chapter in my text book. :/

Sorry to butt in, but do you mean you think only ONE of those 5 will come up? Or that 3 of the questions are likely to be of those? :tongue: Secondly, not to sound stupid, but what topic does the coroners and justive act come under? :colondollar: I'm also struggling with ao2 criticisms on most topics as well
Original post by feelinginfinite
Sorry to butt in, but do you mean you think only ONE of those 5 will come up? Or that 3 of the questions are likely to be of those? :tongue: Secondly, not to sound stupid, but what topic does the coroners and justive act come under? :colondollar: I'm also struggling with ao2 criticisms on most topics as well

I think at least one of them will come up, possibly one of the defences and causation/omissions. Coroners and Justice Act is comes under voluntary manslaughter - Loss of control and diminished responsibility haha. You should know that by now! :P I'm just going to hope for the best with A02, I have such a rubbish law teacher, seriously haha.
I think at least one of them will come up, possibly one of the defences and causation/omissions. Coroners and Justice Act is comes under voluntary manslaughter - Loss of control and diminished responsibility haha. You should know that by now! :P I'm just going to hope for the best with A02, I have such a rubbish law teacher, seriously haha.

Ah yeah that's what I think- one of the defences then one of causation/omissions (not both). Oh that explains why I don't know it, I'm missing out voluntary manslaughter + those defences :colondollar: It's risky I know, but most of the January exam was based on manslaughter... And I figured if it was on Q1 I'd still have duress/causation on, and if mans was on Q2, I'd still have theft/non fatal OAP, or if it's on Q3 I'll have non fatal OAP/insanity auto (from predictions, but I think it's likely I'd always have another option) :tongue:
Reply 346
I have attached an intoxication essay I did as I notice a lot of people seem to dislike it, my teacher marked it as 80% (so 40/50) and he's usually pretty good with markings. I could potentially have gained higher by adding in the Law Commission's 2009 proposals but it was getting late and I was tired. :tongue: Hope it can help somebody, if anyone needs anything clarifying please don't hesitate to ask.
Original post by jool
I have attached an intoxication essay I did as I notice a lot of people seem to dislike it, my teacher marked it as 80% (so 40/50) and he's usually pretty good with markings. I could potentially have gained higher by adding in the Law Commission's 2009 proposals but it was getting late and I was tired. :tongue: Hope it can help somebody, if anyone needs anything clarifying please don't hesitate to ask.

You're my favourite person ever right now (I dislike intoxication very much). I'd give you +50 if I could, but I can't, so here's +1. Thank you thank you thank you :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Reply 348
i'm finding intoxication so hard.. I plan on skipping it out, as i'll always have another option if it pops up
Reply 349
Not learning a02 of theft or robbery and burglary as its too difficult and boring. My biggest weakness is section B!!!! So long winded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone please tell me how best to structure Q2?

Do I go through all the knowledge first and then apply?

If anyone has any model answers which have been marked 40 and above, I would be extremely grateful if you could attach one! :smile:
Reply 351
Original post by feelinginfinite
You're my favourite person ever right now (I dislike intoxication very much). I'd give you +50 if I could, but I can't, so here's +1. Thank you thank you thank you :biggrin: :rolleyes:

You're welcome, and thank you. :smile: I'm currently going through attempts trying to get the AO2 to stick in.

Can anyone please tell me how best to structure Q2?

Do I go through all the knowledge first and then apply?

If anyone has any model answers which have been marked 40 and above, I would be extremely grateful if you could attach one! :smile:

Hello Mr. Morris, small world. :happy2: It's Josh haha, I didn't know you posted on here. Those Q2's I sent you via e-mail I'm pretty sure they were all marked 40+, I've been recommended it's best to apply as you go along so you don't miss things out by having to go all the way back to the start when you come to apply it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jool
You're welcome, and thank you. :smile: I'm currently going through attempts trying to get the AO2 to stick in.

Hello Mr. Morris, small world. :happy2: It's Josh haha, I didn't know you posted on here. Those Q2's I sent you via e-mail I'm pretty sure they were all marked 40+, I've been recommended it's best to apply as you go along so you don't miss things out by having to go all the way back to the start when you come to apply it.

Hey Josh! haha, I thought it was you! Yeah, I have found those very useful! Just wanted to see other peoples views as well :P

Thanks for that, I was planning on doing something similar to the mark scheme and knowledge first but a few people have told me to them them together. Are you feeling ready for it yet? haha
Reply 353
Hey Josh! haha, I thought it was you! Yeah, I have found those very useful! Just wanted to see other peoples views as well :P

Thanks for that, I was planning on doing something similar to the mark scheme and knowledge first but a few people have told me to them them together. Are you feeling ready for it yet? haha

I don't think they're too bothered as long as you include all relevant information, it's probably easier to make sure you don't miss anything. :smile: I'm not completely ready yet, revising Law today then History all weekend as I have a History exam on Monday, then back to Law until Thursday!
Original post by jool
I don't think they're too bothered as long as you include all relevant information, it's probably easier to make sure you don't miss anything. :smile: I'm not completely ready yet, revising Law today then History all weekend as I have a History exam on Monday, then back to Law until Thursday!

I'm very nervous, I don't care how I do in this exam provided I reach 86/120, even if I just scrape it! I'm just revising Law until Thursday, 4 days after is my politics exam, don't need to worry about that too much, only need a D in that exam to get my A :P.

Good luck with the History exam, I wish I had chosen that even though it looks very hard!
Reply 355
I'm very nervous, I don't care how I do in this exam provided I reach 86/120, even if I just scrape it! I'm just revising Law until Thursday, 4 days after is my politics exam, don't need to worry about that too much, only need a D in that exam to get my A :P.

Good luck with the History exam, I wish I had chosen that even though it looks very hard!

Good luck with your Politics also, I really should focus on History more as I only need 59/120 in Law for an A but I want that bloody A* which means I need 105/120! I should have enough time to go through everything in History over weekend, I know most of it, just the specific figures that are difficult to remember.
Reply 356

I started revising a while back as well, just need time to practice section b application. I feel like I have spent all my time revising law and neglected history which I have on Monday so I have a lot to do on that as well
Original post by Ben1695
I started revising a while back as well, just need time to practice section b application. I feel like I have spent all my time revising law and neglected history which I have on Monday so I have a lot to do on that as well

You should just focus on History now until Monday, and then full on revise law for the next few days after it. Good luck in your History exam!
Reply 358
Original post by Ben1695

I have also neglected history which I have on Monday. :frown: After today law is being put to the side until Monday PM, my history exam is on the Triumph and Collapse of the USSR 1941-1991! Good luck in both of your exams.
Reply 359
Original post by jool
I have also neglected history which I have on Monday. :frown: After today law is being put to the side until Monday PM, my history exam is on the Triumph and Collapse of the USSR 1941-1991! Good luck in both of your exams.

What do you find more easy history or law

Quick Reply

Latest